Global Wiki Jam 2014

Svetlana Belkin-2
All,

I was thinking about doing a Global Wiki Jam during Global Jam Days[1]
this year.  This will allow the Doc Team to clean up the (rather) messy,
outdated Community Help Wiki [2].  I believe that using outside help
will allow this to happen.

I would like to have agreement over this before working up the "docs"
for running this.

[1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Thank you.
--
Svetlana Belkin A.K.A: belkinsa
Member of: LoCo Contacts, Ubuntu Doc Team, Ubuntu Ohio, Ubuntu Women

Re: Global Wiki Jam 2014

Elizabeth K. Joseph
On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Svetlana Belkin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I was thinking about doing a Global Wiki Jam during Global Jam Days[1]
> this year.  This will allow the Doc Team to clean up the (rather) messy,
> outdated Community Help Wiki [2].  I believe that using outside help
> will allow this to happen.
>
> I would like to have agreement over this before working up the "docs"
> for running this.
>
> [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
> [2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Just replying to the -doc list, I think it's a great idea.

For our side, I think we want to work to improve the documentation
that the Global Jam currently links to and promote that.

Currently when you click on "Documentation" you're taken to this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs

Glancing over that, it looks reasonably accurate, but I think it will
need some tune ups here and there. The jam also lands too late in the
cycle for folks to really help with system documentation, so we'll
really want to make sure we push the wiki side of it. For the wiki
stuff, you have to go down to the Tasks section
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs#Tasks

...which links to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Wiki/Tasks

I think that looks ok overall too, but could use some attention if it
will be the core document people are looking at.

From there I think it just comes to promoting wiki documentation work
as a thing you can do for your jam :) Announcing it on lists (as you
have done), writing blog posts about it, making sure LoCo teams have
easy access to the resources. For a QA Jam I did a year ago I shared a
list of things I was printing from the wiki:
http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=6749 (unfortunately this was *post*
event, to help folks who were planning one in the future).

http://www.princessleia.com

Re: Global Wiki Jam 2014

cprofitt-2
On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 19:04 -0500, Svetlana Belkin wrote:

> All,
>
> I was thinking about doing a Global Wiki Jam during Global Jam Days[1]
> this year.  This will allow the Doc Team to clean up the (rather) messy,
> outdated Community Help Wiki [2].  I believe that using outside help
> will allow this to happen.
>
> I would like to have agreement over this before working up the "docs"
> for running this.
>
> [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
> [2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community

I agree that it would be a perfect time to do a wiki jam. I think there
is still ample time to communicate the event. It would also be good to
have a schedule of wiki editors in IRC if possible to answer questions
for people participating.

Charles

Re: Global Wiki Jam 2014

Javier Lopez-2
On 10/02/14 at 10:25pm, cprofitt wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 19:04 -0500, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I was thinking about doing a Global Wiki Jam during Global Jam Days[1]
> > this year.  This will allow the Doc Team to clean up the (rather) messy,
> > outdated Community Help Wiki [2].  I believe that using outside help
> > will allow this to happen.
> >
> > I would like to have agreement over this before working up the "docs"
> > for running this.
> >
> > [1]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam
> > [2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community
> >

> I agree that it would be a perfect time to do a wiki jam. I think there
> is still ample time to communicate the event. It would also be good to
> have a schedule of wiki editors in IRC if possible to answer questions
> for people participating.
>
> Charles

It sounds great!, however I'd suggest to create specific tasks, this could be
the first contributions for some people, and it could be easier for those
running doc jams when assigning items.

Bests

Re: Global Wiki Jam 2014

Svetlana Belkin-2
On 02/10/2014 09:38 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph wrote:

> Glancing over that, it looks reasonably accurate, but I think it will
> need some tune ups here and there. The jam also lands too late in the
> cycle for folks to really help with system documentation, so we'll
> really want to make sure we push the wiki side of it. For the wiki
> stuff, you have to go down to the Tasks section
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs#Tasks
>
> ...which links to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Wiki/Tasks
>
> I think that looks ok overall too, but could use some attention if it
> will be the core document people are looking at.

Yeah.  I was thinking about writing up some new docs for what we need to
do for the jam along with these docs.  Mainly about what pages should be
deleted, merged, ect.  So everything can run smoothy between the normal
jam session members and the wiki admins.

On 02/14/2014 09:04 PM, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> Yeah.  I was thinking about writing up some new docs for what we need to
> do for the jam along with these docs.  Mainly about what pages should be
> deleted, merged, ect.  So everything can run smoothy between the normal
> jam session members and the wiki admins.

And I done a basic idea page for what I was thinking:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa/sandbox/WikiGlobalJam2014
--
Svetlana Belkin A.K.A: belkinsa
Member of: LoCo Contacts, Ubuntu Doc Team, Ubuntu Ohio, Ubuntu Women
User Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/belkinsa

Re: Global Wiki Jam 2014

John Kim-2
Hi,

This is nice; I’ll try to rouse the interest of the Pasadena LoCo and my local LUG.

@Elizabeth: I made some improvements to the Docs wiki page, for the sake of clarity. [1] The tasks page seems fine for now.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs

John Kim (IRC: kotux)
Student / Ubuntu 12.04 User

On 02/15/2014 02:20 PM, John Kim wrote:
> This is nice; I’ll try to rouse the interest of the Pasadena LoCo and my
> local LUG.

Thank you and good luck.

> @Elizabeth: I made some improvements to the Docs wiki page, for the sake
> of clarity. [1] The tasks page seems fine for now.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams/Docs

What you have added is great and is well needed.