Global menu for artful?

Barry Warsaw-2
Now that Ubuntu is dropping Unity in favor of Gnome shell, the one thing I
(and many others I think) is missing is support for the global menu.  I've
always loved that feature.

I've played around a bit with this unofficial extension:

https://github.com/lestcape/Gnome-Global-AppMenu

and while it kind of works for some applications, it certainly isn't as wart
free as Unity was.  Still, it seems like the best option so far.

I'm wondering if there is any official work being done to bring global menu
support to artful?  While I'm on board with the switch back to Gnome shell,
this one thing is a pretty significant usability regression.  Will I have to
deal with it or is there hope of having official global menu support available
sometime during this cycle?

Cheers,
-Barry