Gnome-panel : how to restore default state ?

Gnome-panel : how to restore default state ?

Vincent Trouilliez
Hi,

I am having a little problem with Dapper flight-2, where it seems the
gnome-panel keeps Gnome from starting. I tried killing it, no joy. I
tried removing gnome-panel and re-installing it, still no joy.
Then I created a new/fresh user, and Gnome started fine.
So I guess the problem is to do with my existing user directory.
So I would like to try resetting everything related to gnome-panel in my
user directory, without touching anything else of course.

As far as I can see, everything is stored in:

.gconf
.gconfd
.gnome
.gnome_private
.gnome2
.gnome2_private

Does anyone know what files need to be reset (I could copy them from the
"fresh" user I just created) to get a 100% "virgin" gnome-panel so to
speak ?
hopefully this will allow it to start properly and allow Gnome to start
as it should...

Vince

Re: Gnome-panel : how to restore default state ?

Senectus .
just out of interest... what happens if you drop back to terminal and
do a "killall -9 esd" ?
I'm having a similar problem with breezy except If I kill esd Gnome
starts immediately..

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 14:57 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> just out of interest... what happens if you drop back to terminal and
> do a "killall -9 esd" ?

Nothing happens at all. Actually I am not even sure esd is running in
Dapper... I couldn't see it when I ran 'top'.

> I'm having a similar problem with breezy except If I kill esd Gnome
> starts immediately..

Yeah I remember having that problem too, in the very early days of
Breezy. I would hang randomly during the start-up of Gnome.
But this time as I explained, it seems to really be related to the Gnome
panel and it chocking on my existing user directory (it works fine with
a "fresh" user).

On 12/16/05, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But this time as I explained, it seems to really be related to the Gnome
> panel and it chocking on my existing user directory (it works fine with
> a "fresh" user).
Same here.. If I create a new user, that guy logs in without a
problem.. log in as me, I'm locked up till I kill esd..

weird huh..

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 16:11 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> On 12/16/05, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > But this time as I explained, it seems to really be related to the Gnome
> > panel and it chocking on my existing user directory (it works fine with
> > a "fresh" user).
> Same here.. If I create a new user, that guy logs in without a
> problem.. log in as me, I'm locked up till I kill esd..
>
> weird huh..

Hmmm, interesting, thanks for insisting on this... I would have thought
that sound related stuff was low level enough to be common to all users,
my mistake then :-/

--
Vince

Re: Gnome-panel : how to restore default state ?

Senectus .
On 12/16/05, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 16:11 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > On 12/16/05, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > But this time as I explained, it seems to really be related to the Gnome
> > > panel and it chocking on my existing user directory (it works fine with
> > > a "fresh" user).
> > Same here.. If I create a new user, that guy logs in without a
> > problem.. log in as me, I'm locked up till I kill esd..
> >
> > weird huh..
>
> Hmmm, interesting, thanks for insisting on this... I would have thought
> that sound related stuff was low level enough to be common to all users,
> my mistake then :-/

just to be complete with information:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102359 <==where it started
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102970 <==Where I'm at now :-/

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
 I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through
your window, you accept it as it is and agree to my disclaimer of all
warranties, express or implied, as well as disclaimers of all
liability, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental, that may
arise from the installation of this brick into your building." - PJ
Groklaw
www.modmeup.net

Re: Gnome-panel : how to restore default state ?

Mr. Knisely
Senectus . wrote:

>On 12/16/05, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>Same here.. If I create a new user, that guy logs in without a
>>>problem.. log in as me, I'm locked up till I kill esd..
>>>
>>>weird huh..
>>>

>>Hmmm, interesting, thanks for insisting on this... I would have thought
>>that sound related stuff was low level enough to be common to all users,
>>my mistake then :-/
>>

>just to be complete with information:
>http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102359 <==where it started
>http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102970 <==Where I'm at now :-/
>
>--
>Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
> I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through
>your window, you accept it as it is and agree to my disclaimer of all
>warranties, express or implied, as well as disclaimers of all
>liability, direct, indirect, consequential, or incidental, that may
>arise from the installation of this brick into your building." - PJ
>Groklaw
>www.modmeup.net

I was having this issue a while back... I used dpkg with the purge
opiton, cleaned out my home directory of the gnome-panel info, and
reinstalled gnome-panel.  It seemed to work for me.

Mike K.

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 23:52 -0500, MrKnisely wrote:
> I was having this issue a while back... I used dpkg with the purge
> opiton, cleaned out my home directory of the gnome-panel info, and
> reinstalled gnome-panel.  It seemed to work for me.

Stupid me, I forgot about the --purge option, thanks for the
reminder ! :-)

--
Vince