Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Colin Law
Hi

I have previously added the Gnome desktop to a standard Ubuntu install by
sudo apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop^
I find I can then install shell extensions by opening Gnome Software
and clicking on the Add-ons button.

On a new system, however, I installed Ubuntu Gnome (17.04) directly
and when I open Gnome Software the Add-ons button is missing.  Google
has failed to help me.  Does anyone know how to get the Add-ons
button?

Colin

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Liam Proven
On 14 June 2017 at 14:17, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get the Add-ons
> button?

Tried these tips?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/75530/how-do-i-install-and-manage-gnome-shell-extensions

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Colin Law
On 14 June 2017 at 13:34, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 14 June 2017 at 14:17, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to get the Add-ons
>> button?
>

> Tried these tips?
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/75530/how-do-i-install-and-manage-gnome-shell-extensions

Thanks Liam. As far as I can see all those address install the
extensions through a browser. None seems to mention a button for this
purpose in the Gnome Software app, apart from a brief mention that
eventually it should be possible through gnome-software. See attached
screenshot.  Possibly I have installed something that provides that my
without realising.

Colin

addons.jpg (39K) Download Attachment

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Liam Proven
On 14 June 2017 at 15:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Liam. As far as I can see all those address install the
> extensions through a browser. None seems to mention a button for this
> purpose in the Gnome Software app, apart from a brief mention that
> eventually it should be possible through gnome-software. See attached
> screenshot.  Possibly I have installed something that provides that my
> without realising.

The browser is the official, supported way, AFAIK.

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Colin Law
On 14 June 2017 at 15:04, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 June 2017 at 15:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Liam. As far as I can see all those address install the
>> extensions through a browser. None seems to mention a button for this
>> purpose in the Gnome Software app, apart from a brief mention that
>> eventually it should be possible through gnome-software. See attached
>> screenshot.  Possibly I have installed something that provides that my
>> without realising.
>

> The browser is the official, supported way, AFAIK.

That's what I thought till I found the button in Gnome Software.
Something must have put it there. When clicked it provides a list of
all the extensions and they can be installed from there. This is great
I thought, no messing about with Firefox addons, but as I said, in
fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome it is nowhere to be found. Very odd.

Colin

SDA

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

SDA
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 04:04:41PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 14 June 2017 at 15:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks Liam. As far as I can see all those address install the
> > extensions through a browser. None seems to mention a button for this
> > purpose in the Gnome Software app, apart from a brief mention that
> > eventually it should be possible through gnome-software. See attached
> > screenshot.  Possibly I have installed something that provides that my
> > without realising.
>

> The browser is the official, supported way, AFAIK.

Actually no, Gnome-Software Center is going to be going forward and yes one
can install extensions from there too.
I'm on Debian, but do have the extensions in Gnome-Software-Centre. Perhaps
the relevant package is: gnome-software-common and/or
gnome-software-packagekit-data.

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Colin Law
Hi SDA

Thanks for that. There doesn't seem to be a
gnome-software-packagekit-data in Ubuntu repositories, nor anything
similar that I can see. gnome-software-common is installed.  I have
checked all the gnome-software* packages on the working and
non-working systems and the installations are the same. I wonder
whether it is a configuration issue.

Colin

On 15 June 2017 at 22:56, SDA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 04:04:41PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 14 June 2017 at 15:53, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Thanks Liam. As far as I can see all those address install the
>> > extensions through a browser. None seems to mention a button for this
>> > purpose in the Gnome Software app, apart from a brief mention that
>> > eventually it should be possible through gnome-software. See attached
>> > screenshot.  Possibly I have installed something that provides that my
>> > without realising.
>>

>> The browser is the official, supported way, AFAIK.
>
> Actually no, Gnome-Software Center is going to be going forward and yes one
> can install extensions from there too.
> I'm on Debian, but do have the extensions in Gnome-Software-Centre. Perhaps
> the relevant package is: gnome-software-common and/or
> gnome-software-packagekit-data.

Re: Gnome setup in Ubuntu

Colin Law
[Solved]
I have just updated (it was only a couple of days out of date) and the
Add-ons tab has appeared. Very odd that it has been available for some
time in a system that had the gnome desktop added to a Unity system,
but only just appeared in a fresh Gnome install.  I am guessing that
it was related to the settings that tell gnome-software where to
download it package list from. I had found some likely looking stuff
in dconf that seemed to be related to this and was going to compare
the settings on the two machines, but it is too late now as it is
working.

Colin