Going mobile in 2013

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Going mobile in 2013

Mark Shuttleworth-3
Hi folks

You are at the heart of the most important bastion of free software today - giving the world a genuinely free platform for innovation and everyday computing. We can all be very proud of what we have built together.

Today begins a new phase for Ubuntu, and it's a phase that requires our leadership. We are moving beyond our original goal of delivering existing free software, to creating whole new ecosystems. We have all the tools we need:

 * strong governance and values
 * great infrastructure
 * a commitment to quality and design
 * world class foundations
 * community spirit and corporate professionalism, across all members of the team

I'm writing to invite you all to find a part of this that you can participate in with passion. Between all of us, we have the skills to build the crispest, fastest, most beautiful mobile experience. And there is a blank canvas waiting for your contribution and leadership - not only in the core of the platform, with Unity, but across the whole range of apps and capabilities that this mobile world demands.

Now is the time to roll up our sleeves and *create*. Think of an app or system feature that you think is really important to have, apply what we've learned about design thinking and your own imagination to find elegant, new, fresh ways to deliver that capability, and join us in shaping something that can take the world by storm. Start at developer.ubuntu.com and unleash your creativity, rigour and expertise.

Our mission has always been "for human beings". As a mobile platform, we can reach vastly more of the world than ever before. And as the platform which is pioneering convergence, we can provide the next generation with smart phones that are also their gateway to the full world of free software - a PC in their pocket, a cloud development environment that can help new innovators create a new world of apps. That's profoundly important work. You have all already earned your place at the table in Ubuntu - we've learned to trust each other, respect each other and work well together. That's a unique foundation for a free, open, mobile platform. This is going to be amazing.

Mark

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Going mobile in 2013

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
Hi Mark!

On 04/01/13 07:56 AM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> You are at the heart of the most important bastion of free software
> today - giving the world a genuinely free platform for innovation and
> everyday computing. We can all be very proud of what we have built together.

Well, firstly, kudos on getting the word out there and making noise
about this. Choosing a quiet time of the year seems to have worked
awesomely for getting exposure in mainstream media. It seems to have
worked so much better than pretty much anything else bang-for-buck that
exists in terms of advertising.

> Today begins a new phase for Ubuntu, and it's a phase that requires our
> leadership. We are moving beyond our original goal of delivering
> existing free software, to creating whole new ecosystems. We have all
> the tools we need:
>
>   * strong governance and values
>   * great infrastructure
>   * a commitment to quality and design
>   * world class foundations
>   * community spirit and corporate professionalism, across all members of
> the team

I think any rational person will agree with the above points, but I'd
also like to point out that some of these areas still have great
potential for improvement. I don't think it's completely healthy to sit
back and get complacent about governance and values because I see huge
problems in the Ubuntu community that I believe should be addressed.

I've been tempted to list those issues here but I don't think it's the
right place. I do think that there should be some good pushes to have
some processes better defined and also what the Ubuntu community is,
because as a long time community member, it's even getting hard for me
to explain to outsiders.

> Now is the time to roll up our sleeves and *create*. Think of an app or
> system feature that you think is really important to have, apply what
> we've learned about design thinking and your own imagination to find
> elegant, new, fresh ways to deliver that capability, and join us in
> shaping something that can take the world by storm. Start at
> developer.ubuntu.com and unleash your creativity, rigour and expertise.

Will do and will encourage others to do the same. The choice of qml and
Qt5 seems really solid. Maybe the Ubuntu phone could be the next
"N9"-like phone that everyone wants but doesn't exist.

> Our mission has always been "for human beings". As a mobile platform, we
> can reach vastly more of the world than ever before. And as the platform
> which is pioneering convergence, we can provide the next generation with
> smart phones that are also their gateway to the full world of free
> software - a PC in their pocket, a cloud development environment that
> can help new innovators create a new world of apps. That's profoundly
> important work. You have all already earned your place at the table in
> Ubuntu - we've learned to trust each other, respect each other and work
> well together. That's a unique foundation for a free, open, mobile
> platform. This is going to be amazing.

It's certainly a big, hairy and audacious goal by anyone's standards and
hopefully there will be some wonderful cross-pollination coming from
this across many projects!

Good luck and have fun :)

-Jonathan


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Going mobile in 2013

Allison Randal-3
On 01/04/2013 11:33 AM, Jonathan Carter wrote:

>
> I think any rational person will agree with the above points, but I'd
> also like to point out that some of these areas still have great
> potential for improvement. I don't think it's completely healthy to sit
> back and get complacent about governance and values because I see huge
> problems in the Ubuntu community that I believe should be addressed.
>
> I've been tempted to list those issues here but I don't think it's the
> right place. I do think that there should be some good pushes to have
> some processes better defined and also what the Ubuntu community is,
> because as a long time community member, it's even getting hard for me
> to explain to outsiders.

My own definition of "Ubuntu community" has broadened radically over the
years toward the consumer end of the spectrum, and I don't think that's
a bad thing. I was part of the "Apple community" starting in 1984. It
was an important part of my life, and the lives of many others, and I
don't devalue that experience because we were "only consumers". One of
the things I admire about Ubuntu, really quite unusual in the industry,
is its capacity to be a home for all types of people, from the greenest
tech newbie to the cracker-jack kernel hacker to the Fortune 500 CEO
(who might also be a tech newbie) and everything in between. There's
value in periodically introspecting "Who are we?", but I hope the
conversation runs more along the lines of "How do we help more
consumer-oriented users feel like part of the Ubuntu family despite
radically different skills and experience?" at the same time as "How do
we continue to respect and appreciate all those who
contribute/participate in creating Ubuntu?"

No family is perfect, and maintaining any relationship is a constant
process of improving as individuals and collectively. But don't let that
process of improvement distract from the fact that what we have here in
Ubuntu is pretty darn awesome, entirely unique, and well worth fighting for.

Allison

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel