Great release! and other thoughts

Valorie Zimmerman
Hi folks,

17.04 in released, and technically it is great! Perhaps the best we
have ever done. Well done, team! Great thanks to Rik, who carried much
of the load as a brand-new Kubuntu Developer.

On the other hand, I think we didn't promote it very well. I take
responsibility for part of that, and want to prepare better for the AA
release. Walter (wxl) was our actiing Release Manager this round, and
deserves a round of applause! He'll be stepping back however, and I'd
like to see a small team take over that job, and promotion as well,
since so much of the RM job is promotion and communication.

I would like to see a password-protected document with all of our
social media account names and passwords, and all members of the team
have access. We were very patchy getting the word out this cycle.
Perhaps we can have a checklist somewhere showing who is doing what,
so that all the bases are covered each time. Walter and I both made
guides to doing RM; both worth looking at if you are interested.
[1,2].

I spent the evening putting together a calendar of planned events -
the cycle dates are just calculated, not yet published. The KDE
Applications, Frameworks and Plasma dates are from the published
release schedules. I've added in some other events that we should
promote via social media.

Who knew the calendar could be so full, already?

Valorie

Probable 17.10 cycle dates
=====================

note on Yakkety calendar: October releases follow a 25-week schedule,
while April releases follow a 27-week schedule, to compensate for
year-end holidays
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5 - schedule can change
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Frameworks (tagging happens the
first Saturday of every month, and the public release is one week
later)
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Applications/17.04_Release_Schedule

Document Freedom Day 2017: Last Wednesday of March, 29 March 2017
<http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/>

* Framworks 5.33: Sat April 8th, 2017
* Plasma 5.9.5 Bugfix: Tue 2017-04-25
* KDE Applications 17.04: Thursday, April 20, 2017

Hardware Freedom Day 2017: 3rd Saturday of April, 15 April 2017
<http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/>

Document Freedom Day 2017 - 2nd chance!: Last Wednesday of April, 26 April 2017

week 1: April 27th - Toolchain Uploaded

May 2017
week 2: May 5th - UOS (Tuesday - Thursday)

* KDE Applications 17.04.1: Thursday, May 11 2017
* Frameworks 5.34: Sat May 13th, 2017
* Plasma 5.8.7 LTS Bugfix: Tue 2017-05-23
* Plasma 5.10.0 Release: Tue 2017-05-30

week 5: ~May 26th - FeatureDefinitionFreeze

June 2017

* KDE Applications 17.04.2: Thursday, June 8, 2017
* Frameworks 5.3.5: Sat June 10, 2017
* Plasma 5.10.2 Bugfix: Tue 2017-06-13
* Plasma 5.10.3 Bugfix: Tue 2017-06-27

week 10: June 29 - Alpha 1 (for opt-in flavors)

July 2017

* Frameworks 5.3.6: Sat July 8, 2017
* KDE Applications 17.04.3: Thursday, July 13, 2017
* Plasma 5.10.4 Bugfix: Tue 2017-07-18

Akademy 2017, Almería, Spain: 22nd - 27th July

week 14: July 27th  - Alpha 2 (for opt-in flavors)

August 2017

* Frameworks 5.3.7: Sat August 12, 2017

week 17: August 17th - FeatureFreeze,  DebianImportFreeze

* Plasma 5.10.5 Bugfix: Tue 2017-08-22

week 18: August 24th - Beta 1 Freeze (Monday), Beta 1 (for opt-in flavors)

September 2016
week 20: ~September 8th - UserInterfaceFreeze

* Frameworks 5.3.8: Sat September 9, 2017

week 21: ~September 15th - DocumentationStringFreeze

Randa Meetings 2017:  2017-09-10 - 2017-09-16

Software Freedom Day 2017: 3rd Saturday of September, 16 September
2017 <http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/>

* Plasma 5.11.0 Release: Tue 2017-09-26

week 22: September 21st - Final Beta Freeze,  Final Beta
week 23: ~September 29th - KernelFreeze,  NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline

October 2016
week 24: October 5th - FinalFreeze,  ReleaseCandidate,
LanguagePackTranslationDeadline

* Plasma 5.11.1 Bugfix: Tue 2017-10-03

Ada Lovelace Day: second Tuesday of October, 10 October 2017
<http://findingada.com/about/>

week 25: October 12th - FinalRelease  Ubuntu 17.10

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Valorie Zimmerman
I remembered after I hit send that I forgot to add in the Kubuntu
Podcasts, which have been one of the highlights for me of this past
year in Kubuntu. Also, we need some parties, and LFNW, SeaGL, and
where-ever other fests and cons are they we are attending. I'm
thinking a Google calendar just for Kubuntu would be nice, so each of
us who wants to can easily overlay it to our personal calendars. We
could color-code events that way too.

Also: birthdays -- but people should add their own if they want it.
Not everybody likes that.

I'd really like to see some parties and dojos and some of the other
cool gatherings we've had in the past.

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Rik Mills-2
Thank you for taking the trouble to put all that together. :)

On 15/04/17 08:47, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> 17.04 in released, and technically it is great! Perhaps the best we
> have ever done. Well done, team! Great thanks to Rik, who carried much
> of the load as a brand-new Kubuntu Developer.

It was a pleasure.

> On the other hand, I think we didn't promote it very well. I take
> responsibility for part of that, and want to prepare better for the AA
> release. Walter (wxl) was our actiing Release Manager this round, and
> deserves a round of applause! He'll be stepping back however, and I'd
> like to see a small team take over that job, and promotion as well,
> since so much of the RM job is promotion and communication.
>
> I would like to see a password-protected document with all of our
> social media account names and passwords, and all members of the team
> have access.

Agreed, although I am not sure about having a PW protected document with
all that in. 'Eggs in one basket' and all that.

Where possible, would it be ok to make a kubuntu team on each S/M
platform. For example you can make a twitter team with tweetdeck

https://blog.twitter.com/2015/introducing-tweetdeck-teams

where permission to tweet as @kubuntu can be delegated to each of our
individual twitter accounts, for those that have them. So no need to
each have the main login details.

We were very patchy getting the word out this cycle.
> Perhaps we can have a checklist somewhere showing who is doing what,
> so that all the bases are covered each time. Walter and I both made
> guides to doing RM; both worth looking at if you are interested.
> [1,2].

+1 for a checklist/job card etc, so we know what needs to be done, who
is doing it, and the status of each task.

> I spent the evening putting together a calendar of planned events -
> the cycle dates are just calculated, not yet published. The KDE
> Applications, Frameworks and Plasma dates are from the published
> release schedules. I've added in some other events that we should
> promote via social media.
>
> Who knew the calendar could be so full, already?
>
> Valorie

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Valorie Zimmerman
Uh, I see that I left out some links, below:

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> September 2016
> week 20: ~September 8th - UserInterfaceFreeze
>
> * Frameworks 5.3.8: Sat September 9, 2017
>
> week 21: ~September 15th - DocumentationStringFreeze
>
> Randa Meetings 2017:  2017-09-10 - 2017-09-16
>
> Software Freedom Day 2017: 3rd Saturday of September, 16 September
> 2017 <http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/>
>
> * Plasma 5.11.0 Release: Tue 2017-09-26
>
> week 22: September 21st - Final Beta Freeze,  Final Beta
> week 23: ~September 29th - KernelFreeze,  NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline
>
> October 2016
> week 24: October 5th - FinalFreeze,  ReleaseCandidate,
> LanguagePackTranslationDeadline
>
> * Plasma 5.11.1 Bugfix: Tue 2017-10-03
>
> Ada Lovelace Day: second Tuesday of October, 10 October 2017
> <http://findingada.com/about/>
>
> week 25: October 12th - FinalRelease  Ubuntu 17.10

(By the way, the calendar is under discussion in #ubuntu-release)

1. https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/ReleaseManagement

2. https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/release-management/

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Valorie Zimmerman
I've added this list address to the Kubuntu calendar, but perhaps I
have to add specific google-connected email accounts so that you can
see it? If you use google calendar and want to overlay all the Kubuntu
dates and can't now add it, send me your gmail address or so and I'll
add one by one. -v

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Aaron Honeycutt-2
honeycuttaaron3 thanks

--
http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Great release! and other thoughts

Marco Parillo
There may be a way to discover the URL for the Kubuntu Calendar and then publish that.
I then think Google Calendar users can go to Other Calendars drop-down and add by URL.

--
http://about.me/valoriez