Groupwise mail to mbox or maildir

Carthik Sharma
Hi All,

When I was a windows users, I used the Novell Groupwise mail client to
access groupwise mail at school. I have the data from then with me
still. This is data from over a year ago, which is not longer
available on the server.

Does someone know a way of migrating the groupwise email data to some
more accessible format? Right now, I have the following "folders",
each with mail, or something close to mail ( :) ) in it.
rofdata  wpcsin  wpcsout  wpgwrecv  wpgwsend

I searched high and low for methods to convert groupwise client email
to mbox/maildir format. I tried to use Evolution to "import" this old
mail, but that didn't work. Does anyone know of any method in which I
can read this mail again, without using the groupwise client, since I
don't use windows anymore?

Thank you,
Carthik.
--
Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida

Re: Groupwise mail to mbox or maildir

Matthew Palmer-2
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:55:05PM -0500, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> Does someone know a way of migrating the groupwise email data to some
> more accessible format? Right now, I have the following "folders",
> each with mail, or something close to mail ( :) ) in it.
> rofdata  wpcsin  wpcsout  wpgwrecv  wpgwsend

Setup a local IMAP server (dovecot would do quite nicely), and use a
suitable tool (I'd use offlineimap, but there are other more specific tools
for the problem) to copy the e-mail out of Groupwise via it's IMAP interface
and shove it into the local IMAP server.

- Matt

On 11/3/05, Matthew Palmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:55:05PM -0500, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> > Does someone know a way of migrating the groupwise email data to some
> > more accessible format? Right now, I have the following "folders",
> > each with mail, or something close to mail ( :) ) in it.
> > rofdata  wpcsin  wpcsout  wpgwrecv  wpgwsend
>
> Setup a local IMAP server (dovecot would do quite nicely), and use a
> suitable tool (I'd use offlineimap, but there are other more specific tools
> for the problem) to copy the e-mail out of Groupwise via it's IMAP interface
> and shove it into the local IMAP server.

The email is not in readable text file format(in none of the mailbox
file formats I know of). I wouldn't know where to start with regards
to reading the mail out into the local IMAP server. How would I copy
the email out of groupwise?

Carthik.
> - Matt

Ph.D. Candidate
University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net

Re: Groupwise mail to mbox or maildir

Mike Smith
You can download an eval of GroupWise:

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=AULI_HA9i4A~

I don't know if that will be able to read what you have. Did you
export the mail from Groupwise (File -> Export...), or just copy
folders from your home directory/Profile? Sorry, I'm not very familiar
with GroupWise. Last version I used was 5.2. There are several other
GroupWise related utilities that may help:

http://download.novell.com/index.jsp?product_id=&search=Search&build_type=SDBuildBean&families=2650&date_range=&keywords=&x=8&y=8

On 11/4/05, Mike Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can download an eval of GroupWise:
>
> http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=AULI_HA9i4A~
>
> I don't know if that will be able to read what you have. Did you
> export the mail from Groupwise (File -> Export...), or just copy
> folders from your home directory/Profile?
THe latter :(

>Sorry, I'm not very familiar
> with GroupWise. Last version I used was 5.2. There are several other
> GroupWise related utilities that may help:

I tried the Linux Client for GW 7, but it threw an Java exception and
wouldn't run.
>http://download.novell.com/index.jsp?product_id=&search=Search&build_type=SDBuildBean&families=2650&date_range=&keywords=&x=8&y=8

Thank you for the pointers...

Carthik.