Grub consol "not seeing hd" partitions

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

I have a query re Grub consol, I'm trying to prepare an erxternal USB for an
(EFI) Mac, to do so requires mounting the installed USB from the grub consol
(of a liveUSB)

1) I can't get to the grub consol of the live USB, shift brings the choose
language menu and "C" does nothing

2) So I installed the same version on a lappy top as the only system and can
get to grub from there (Shift then "C") but then grub can only see the disk
(HD1) not the partitions (HD1, gpt1), (HD1,gpt2) etc

3) If I let either installed system or LiveUSB run up I can then see the
partitions on sdb (sdb1, sdb2 etc) then

Any pointers please

P.S. I can't do this on the mac as the owner has  (with good reason**) quarm's
about having Ubuntu make "A N Y" changes to the mac

**Last time we tried from the mac

1) Mac have changed their file system, and at the moment cloaning software that
would have made a backup to return to no longer works

2) Mac could ONLY boot if external USB was connected

3) many tests later mac again boots but now ubuntu cant (not even seen in
option screen)

Xen

Re: Grub consol "not seeing hd" partitions

Xen
Grizzly via ubuntu-users schreef op 18-11-2017 21:13:

> Any pointers please

I have never used a recent Mac but you have done all the stuff required
to set up an EFI partition on the "Live USB" right.

I mean I don't know what to do or how to do it,

and maybe you sent this message before,

but the Mac requires some special features on the EFI partition.

About Grub not seeing harddrives, can't help you with that.

I mean it appears you were the one writing about this before,

but you don't mention whether you have changed Ubuntu version,

or whether anything else changed other than the Mac filesystem.

Re: Grub consol "not seeing hd" partitions

ubuntu-users mailing list
19 November 2017  at 4:54, Xen wrote:
Re: Grub consol "not seeing hd" par (at least in part)

>Grizzly via ubuntu-users schreef op 18-11-2017 21:13:
>
>> Any pointers please

>I have never used a recent Mac but you have done all the stuff required
>to set up an EFI partition on the "Live USB" right.

Yes we went thru the whole (long) process, (with the LiveUSB "Not" on it)

>I mean I don't know what to do or how to do it,

Your not alone there, there are so many contridictory instructions out there,
but the ones we followed worked, and "looked" like they would forefill the main
request of the Mac owner (not effect the Mac in any way)

>and maybe you sent this message before,

Don't think so

>but the Mac requires some special features on the EFI partition.

Yes it is a royal PITA

>About Grub not seeing harddrives, can't help you with that.

It "sees" harddrive just not the partition(s)

>I mean it appears you were the one writing about this before,
>but you don't mention whether you have changed Ubuntu version,
>or whether anything else changed other than the Mac filesystem.

Same Ubuntu LTS 16.04.3, seemed the best option (not to mention the last LTS
with Unity :-<)

Mac file system changed to APFS from HFS+, between starting the research to do
this and finding a soloution that worked, we did have a unsucessful atempt
earlier on that required the use of a cloaned copy of the old (HFS+) disk to
recover