Grub editing ?

squareyes-2
Hi all,
am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
assuming that Edubutu will
take over Grub?
If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot Ubuntu
and Edubutu?
Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
check out?
many thanks in advance.
Take Care
Winton

Re: Grub editing ?

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 11:15 +1030, squareyes wrote:

> Hi all,
> am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
> assuming that Edubutu will
> take over Grub?
> If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot Ubuntu
> and Edubutu?
> Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
> check out?
> many thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton

Well, it all depends on what you expect.

Indeed, installing from CD to a seperate partition will install
'regular' Ubuntu core and GNOME + edu-apps + LTSP (modified version) +
wallpapers. So, yes, it will take Grub editing.

Other alternative would be to just 'apt-get install edubuntu-desktop
edubuntu-server' which will install all Edubuntu stuff onto current
Ubuntu system ;)

Whatever you do, please do not think Edubuntu LTSP is standard LTSP
everyone had used before because it is a mistake. Edubuntu LTSP works
forwarding X over SSH and the display manager is L.D.M (not GDM nor KDM)
and the files are located in /etc/ltsp/  not  /opt/, for example.

Now about Grub... long time (too long) I dont have to edit it so I'll
let someone else respond to that.

Regarding wiki pages.... wiki:EdubuntuInstallNotes is a good start and
visiting us in #edubuntu or #edubuntu-es in case tu hables castellano.

--
Cordialmente,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.
(56+8)7496071
(56+2)3129513

Edubuntu Chile
www.tecnocimiento.cl/EdubuntuChile
irc.freenode.net | #edubuntu #edubuntu-es

ID #287183
http://counter.li.org

[I dream of things that never were and say 'Why Not?']

/!\ Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales para evitar
conflictos de lectura con otros lectores de correos.

Re: Grub editing ?

squareyes-2
Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 11:15 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
>>assuming that Edubutu will
>>take over Grub?
>>If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot Ubuntu
>>and Edubutu?
>>Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
>>check out?
>>many thanks in advance.
>>Take Care
>>Winton
>>

>Well, it all depends on what you expect.
>
>Indeed, installing from CD to a seperate partition will install
>'regular' Ubuntu core and GNOME + edu-apps + LTSP (modified version) +
>wallpapers. So, yes, it will take Grub editing.
>
>Other alternative would be to just 'apt-get install edubuntu-desktop
>edubuntu-server' which will install all Edubuntu stuff onto current
>Ubuntu system ;)

Hi Mauricio,
am aware it's different, but am on dialup, and will take too long to
download. Besides I like to experiment, sometime they even work :-)
I intend to hand it out to a few schools in my area, and would like
to know something about it.

>Whatever you do, please do not think Edubuntu LTSP is standard LTSP
>everyone had used before because it is a mistake. Edubuntu LTSP works
>forwarding X over SSH and the display manager is L.D.M (not GDM nor KDM)
>and the files are located in /etc/ltsp/  not  /opt/, for example.
>
>Now about Grub... long time (too long) I dont have to edit it so I'll
>let someone else respond to that.
>
>Regarding wiki pages.... wiki:EdubuntuInstallNotes is a good start and
>visiting us in #edubuntu or #edubuntu-es in case tu hables castellano.

Sorry no castellano :-)
will check out those pages, thanks again
Take care
Winton

Re: Grub editing ?

Alexander Jacob Tsykin
squareyes wrote:

> Hi all,
> am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
> assuming that Edubutu will
> take over Grub?
> If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot
> Ubuntu and Edubutu?
> Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
> check out?
> many thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton

Edubuntu will alter grub as necessary during the install process.

Sasha

RE: Grub editing ?

Lonn

Winton,

Take a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HowToMakeAGRUBBootFloppy for the
basics of creating the boot floppy then read more here.

If you will search the HOWTOs, there is one I cannot find this morning which
explains how grub in the first sector on the hard disk can call another grub
(on the hard disk) that offers a couple of boot options. I think that is
what you are asking for, so you can have the Ubuntu and Edubuntu booting
separately.

Here is one using floppies to boot any one of several distributions. This
isn't the easiest to read, but it is 'cook-book' enough to get the job done.
http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/GrubSecrets

If you are also booting windows on the same disk, be aware of the limit of 4
physical partitions - so you must define volume groups to have three or four
bootable systems on one hard disk or dump everything for a distribution into
a single partition without a dedicated 'swap' -- and that will usually
result in a slower system compared to one with a 'swap' partition (even if
it is in a volume group).

Lonn

RE: Grub editing ?

Lonn
| Grub editing ?
| squareyes squareyes at internode.on.net
| wrote on Sat Jan 21 00:45:34 GMT 2006

| Hi all,
| am going to install Edubuntu on a separate
| partition,
| am I correct in assuming that Edubuntu will
| take over Grub?
| If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to
| allow me to dual boot Ubuntu and Edubuntu?
| Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is
| there a wiki page I could check out?
| many thanks in advance.
| Take Care
| Winton

Winton,

This reference explains HOW-TO use floppies for booting a selected OS from
among several and also how to put all the desired boot options on the hard
disk.

You will be able to manage boot selection of Edubuntu or Ubuntu or other OSs
on a single hard disk.

HOW-TO use GRUBB to select/boot the desired OS when you have several OSs on
one hard disk.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

Note the several boots of Debian and other OSs at this reference. If the
several boot options for Debian were counted separately, if would be fair to
say this shows NINE boot options on two disks -- all managed by GRUBB.

http://wbglinks.net/pages/reads/wbgreads/linux/grub.html

Lonn

Re: Grub editing ?

Joyce Markoll
squareyes a écrit :

> Hi all,
> am going to install Edubutu on a separate partition, am I correct in
> assuming that Edubutu will
> take over Grub?
> If so what do I need to do to edit Grub to allow me to dual boot Ubuntu
> and Edubutu?
> Am pretty much a newbie in this regard, is there a wiki page I could
> check out?
> many thanks in advance.
> Take Care
> Winton
Hello,
The simpliest way to deal with that is to install Grub again and it
erases the preceeding one.
Each time I install a new distribution besides one existing, I reinstall
GRUB on the MBR. The installer of the new ditrib. proposes it when the
install is almost finished, shows the other OS it has detected, be it
Windows or a Linux distribution or more (I've got 3 on each machine).
Then the new grub installed writes to his configuration file and puts en
entry for each OS detected.
Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.