Gstreamer on 20.04 LTS

Jerry Geis
Hi all - new to this list - - I am trying to use gstreamer and hlssink on 20.04 LTS.

I have gstreamer installed - but doing gst-inspect-1.0 | grep hlssink prints nothing.
How do I get hlssink working ?

also I "desire" to use openh264 from Cisco. I tried to install that from source - but gstreamer does not seem to "find" it -   do I have to recompile gstreamer for that or is there a better way ?

Thanks!

Jerry

Re: Gstreamer on 20.04 LTS

Liam Proven
On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 19:42, Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all - new to this list - - I am trying to use gstreamer and hlssink on 20.04 LTS.

Hi and welcome!

> I have gstreamer installed - but doing gst-inspect-1.0 | grep hlssink prints nothing.
> How do I get hlssink working ?
>
> also I "desire" to use openh264 from Cisco. I tried to install that from source - but gstreamer does not seem to "find" it -   do I have to recompile gstreamer for that or is there a better way ?

Disclaimer: this recommendation is on general principles rather than
specific knowledge.

The versions included with Ubuntu are all-FOSS codecs and there is a
bunch of stuff that they can't handle well. There are some more
capable freeware (but not completely unencumbered FOSS) codecs
included in the distro, but not installed by default. If you install
them, you get broader media support. The command is:

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras

(or xubuntu, kubuntu etc. as the prefix, depending on what you are running.)

I suggest doing that, then trying again...

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]