Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

Ken D'Ambrosio
Of course, Ubuntu comes with text editors and word processors -- the
former can be extremely lightweight (or not), and the latter is
generally extremely heavyweight.  There used to be an app in the middle,
though -- the Wordpad equivalent, for Linux.  Pretty sure it was Gwrite,
which seems to have ceased development in '11 or so.

Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor.  Don't care
if it opens .DOC files.  Don't care if it publishes to .HTML.
Basically, I want a text editor with fonts and a UI, for those times
when I don't want to trade 37.4 TB of system RAM for a few hundred words
of proportional-spaced stuff written in a GUI on-screen.

Anything out there?

Thanks,

-Ken

Re: Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

compdoc
On 04/03/2018 12:45 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor.

I think Ubuntu comes with Gedit, and mate comes with Pluma. I love Gedit
but I use Mate, so I replace Pluma with Gedit.

Re: Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

Peter Flynn
On 03/04/18 19:45, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> Of course, Ubuntu comes with text editors and word processors -- the
> former can be extremely lightweight (or not), and the latter is
> generally extremely heavyweight.  There used to be an app in the middle,
> though -- the Wordpad equivalent, for Linux.  Pretty sure it was Gwrite,
> which seems to have ceased development in '11 or so.
>
> Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor.  Don't care
> if it opens .DOC files.  Don't care if it publishes to .HTML.
> Basically, I want a text editor with fonts and a UI, for those times
> when I don't want to trade 37.4 TB of system RAM for a few hundred words
> of proportional-spaced stuff written in a GUI on-screen.
>
> Anything out there?

On the rare (<1×bluemoon) times I use a wordprocessor, I have found
AbiWord does pretty much what you want.

///Peter

Re: Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

Karl Auer
On Tue, 2018-04-03 at 14:52 -0600, compdoc wrote:
> > Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor.
> I think Ubuntu comes with Gedit, and mate comes with Pluma. I love
> Gedit but I use Mate, so I replace Pluma with Gedit.

Dunno about pluma, but gedit is a text editor, and definitely not a
word processor. Gedit has no text formatting functionality and no font
control beyond selecting a font for display/print.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A

Re: Gwrite/Wordpad equivalent?

Matthew Crews
> Nutshell: looking for a stupid lightweight word processor. Don't care
> if it opens .DOC files. Don't care if it publishes to .HTML.
> Basically, I want a text editor with fonts and a UI, for those times
> when I don't want to trade 37.4 TB of system RAM for a few hundred words
> of proportional-spaced stuff written in a GUI on-screen.

You probably want Abiword. Lots of dependencies, but doesn't take much RAM (about 23 megs for a new instance on 17.10). And its practically Wordpad in terms of feature parity.