HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

Andrea Giuliano
Dear all,

I own this nice printer, and it works quite well, as long as printing
speed is not a problem. I seldom am in hurry, but I think 15 minutes to
print 26 pages from OpenOffice 2.0 is a very long time indeed. I
measured almost the same timings for every kind of print job, even
simple ASCII text files.

Could I configure the printer in the wrong way?

Please note that I simply added the printer with the
"System/Administration/Printing" tool, and I selected the recommended
driver.

Also, the actual printing is rather fast: just a few seconds from the
moment the printer "hums" and the moment that the page is out. Most of
the time the printer is silently waiting for something to print, while
the CPU is working very hard.

Finally, it could be of help the fact that my PC is a P4 with a 2.4GHz
clock, 256Mb of RAM, and plenty of disc space.

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

squareyes-2
Andrea Giuliano wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I own this nice printer, and it works quite well, as long as printing
> speed is not a problem. I seldom am in hurry, but I think 15 minutes
> to print 26 pages from OpenOffice 2.0 is a very long time indeed. I
> measured almost the same timings for every kind of print job, even
> simple ASCII text files.
>
> Could I configure the printer in the wrong way?
>
> Please note that I simply added the printer with the
> "System/Administration/Printing" tool, and I selected the recommended
> driver.
>
> Also, the actual printing is rather fast: just a few seconds from the
> moment the printer "hums" and the moment that the page is out. Most of
> the time the printer is silently waiting for something to print, while
> the CPU is working very hard.
>
> Finally, it could be of help the fact that my PC is a P4 with a 2.4GHz
> clock, 256Mb of RAM, and plenty of disc space.
>
> Best regards.

HI Andrea,
have the same printer and it's also slow to start printing.
I am going to investigate whether the memory in the printer can be
increased.
The printing whenit finally starts is fast.
Hope this may help.
Take Care
Winton

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I own this nice printer, and it works quite well, as long as printing
>> speed is not a problem. I seldom am in hurry, but I think 15 minutes
>> to print 26 pages from OpenOffice 2.0 is a very long time indeed. I
>> measured almost the same timings for every kind of print job, even
>> simple ASCII text files.
The printing is starting _very_ fast relative to the price of the HP
Laserjet 1100.
All depend on the quality - use black & White and low solution draught if
it is to yourself and most important if you like scanning too use the
guidelines of:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HpPscHpPhotosmartSeriesAllInOnePrinters?highlight=
%28printer%29

I guess it is not ready to Dapper yet. If you get it to work here please
reply.
Good Luck

Phillip

>> Could I configure the printer in the wrong way?
>>
>> Please note that I simply added the printer with the
>> "System/Administration/Printing" tool, and I selected the recommended
>> driver.
>>
>> Also, the actual printing is rather fast: just a few seconds from the
>> moment the printer "hums" and the moment that the page is out. Most of
>> the time the printer is silently waiting for something to print, while
>> the CPU is working very hard.
>>
>> Finally, it could be of help the fact that my PC is a P4 with a 2.4GHz
>> clock, 256Mb of RAM, and plenty of disc space.
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
> HI Andrea,
> have the same printer and it's also slow to start printing.
> I am going to investigate whether the memory in the printer can be
> increased.
> The printing whenit finally starts is fast.
> Hope this may help.
> Take Care
> Winton

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

Andrea Giuliano
I didn't think about printer memory, but it could be the right point to
investigate. Yet, the high CPU activity before every single page seems
to lead somewhere else: more precisely, ghostscript could be the
bottleneck, but why?

Many thanks anyway.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
Viale Castro Pretorio 105, Rome - ITALY
Tel. +39 06 49210403, Fax +39 06 4959302

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

I have the same problem here.

I know the printer prints fine under windows, so the trouble is in
software, not hardware. Can anyone hint how ghostscript could be the
culprit or how to fix the issue?

Thanks.

--
Jenda

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

Benoit Montuelle
Le vendredi 16 juin 2006 à 10:16 +0100, Jenda a écrit :
> I have the same problem here.
>
> I know the printer prints fine under windows, so the trouble is in
> software, not hardware. Can anyone hint how ghostscript could be the
> culprit or how to fix the issue?
Hi,
I own the same printer and there's no speed difference while printing
under linux or windows.
I'm using CUPS and a Axis network print server, but printing data is
sent raw directly by PCs, and my ubuntu linux use the hpijs (recomended)
driver.

May this due to parrallel port support ?

Otherwise, HP provide linux driver that i've never tried cause it works
great as it ;)

--
Ben

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

Hi there,

I dont have this printer but i have an HP Photosmart 335, I have the
same problem though, printing a picture of 2Mb takes about 5 minutes to
start printing. I saw somewhere that it was reporting the size of the
print job was 40Mb no idea why.

any ideas?

--
fozzieb

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

Hmm... I cheated - I just switched printers at home and it works fine
now :)
Sorry i can't be of help.

--
Jenda

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

I have the HP Laserjet 1100A (with the scanner component on the front).
I've used this printer for years, and it's incredibly fast under
Windows.  Since I've switch to Ubuntu a few weeks ago, I've been really
frustrated by the very long time it takes just to print one or two
pages.  I've also noticed that after I've printed a few documents, that
the printer stops printing altogether (this never happened under windows
previously, believe it or not).  I have to unplug the power cord on the
printer and plug it back in again in order to get the printing to start
up again.  This is definitely a Ubuntu or driver issue, as I've never
had these kinds of problems previously.

Can this problem be fixed??  Is there another driver option that might
work better?  Can any settings be changed to help this (I'm very new to
Ubuntu - and Linux in general - so I've no idea what to try changing).

Thanks!

--
sah18

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

jean gruneberg
sah18

I also have although it sits on a windows box and shared tot he
network.  I find getting the first page out is terribly slow, but does
run the whole job when I print from my ubuntu laptop.  From one of the
kids edubuntu pc's printing seems faster.  Will run a test later and
see........

Jean

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

Hello,

I had the same problem with my laserjet 1100 and solved it by choosing
ljet4 as the driver and then 300 dpi for the resolution (I must try
with 600 again) .

Now it takes about 3 seconds to start printing and about 5 min to print
about 60 pages of text.

Hope it can help.

:p

--
jeronimo_run

Re: HP Laserjet 1100, extremely slow printing...

chrisccoulson

Changing to the ljet4 driver made no difference for me. There is still a
very long pause between pages.

--
matthew