HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Kevin
The first page of every print job is similar to the test page from 'System Settings'>'Printer'.
It has 'Unclassified' at the top. Colored circles are missing.
Bottom half of page has Specs for the printer and print job.
This problem was in 14.04 also.
Have read CUPS web pages and hplip web pages.
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix?

Additional info:

Linux: Ubuntu 16.04
Printer: HP Envy 5530
Hplip: 3.16.3
USB Connection
No drivers required

PRINTERS folder:
HP Envy 5530 Series, hpcups 3.16.3
hp:/usb/ENVY_5530_series?serial=CN482261WX05XT

Also:
Goto 'Files'
Home
Ctrl h

scroll down to '.cups'
open '.cups'' file

should find one text file 'lpoptions'
open file
Mine reads: 'Default HP-ENVY-5530-series job-sheets=unclassified,none'
The first part I believe is correct (Default HP-ENVY-5530-series)
Anyone know what the rest means?

The information at :https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html does not seem to match what I have.

I've been at this for the past week - no joy!
-- 
Kevin

Ubuntu 16.04.2 
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Peter Silva
don't know cups very well, but I don't think you have a driver configured for your printer.  It is just talking to a USB device that it know is a printer, and 'default ... ' is just echoing stuff it learned by communication with the device.  You still need to set a real hplip driver.  googled a bit, noticed this:


I'm guessing you need something like: envy_5530_series in your models.dat file... (wherever that is.)

Did you use the 'Printers' settings dialog to set it up?



On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:
The first page of every print job is similar to the test page from 'System Settings'>'Printer'.
It has 'Unclassified' at the top. Colored circles are missing.
Bottom half of page has Specs for the printer and print job.
This problem was in 14.04 also.
Have read CUPS web pages and hplip web pages.
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix?

Additional info:

Linux: Ubuntu 16.04
Printer: HP Envy 5530
Hplip: 3.16.3
USB Connection
No drivers required

PRINTERS folder:
HP Envy 5530 Series, hpcups 3.16.3
hp:/usb/ENVY_5530_series?serial=CN482261WX05XT

Also:
Goto 'Files'
Home
Ctrl h

scroll down to '.cups'
open '.cups'' file

should find one text file 'lpoptions'
open file
Mine reads: 'Default HP-ENVY-5530-series job-sheets=unclassified,none'
The first part I believe is correct (Default HP-ENVY-5530-series)
Anyone know what the rest means?

The information at :https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html does not seem to match what I have.

I've been at this for the past week - no joy!
-- 
Kevin

Ubuntu 16.04.2 
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Peter Silva
You know, I just looked at my configuration, which is working, for an older printer, and it is completely different than what I expected.   It's using CUPS without hplip. I have no hplip installed at all.  That used to be needed, but isn't anymore, now it is a foomatic for cups using a .ppd (printer definition file.)
So forget what I wrote, I don't know how this stuff works any more.  Oh well.


On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Peter Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
don't know cups very well, but I don't think you have a driver configured for your printer.  It is just talking to a USB device that it know is a printer, and 'default ... ' is just echoing stuff it learned by communication with the device.  You still need to set a real hplip driver.  googled a bit, noticed this:


I'm guessing you need something like: envy_5530_series in your models.dat file... (wherever that is.)

Did you use the 'Printers' settings dialog to set it up?



On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:
The first page of every print job is similar to the test page from 'System Settings'>'Printer'.
It has 'Unclassified' at the top. Colored circles are missing.
Bottom half of page has Specs for the printer and print job.
This problem was in 14.04 also.
Have read CUPS web pages and hplip web pages.
Anybody got any ideas on how to fix?

Additional info:

Linux: Ubuntu 16.04
Printer: HP Envy 5530
Hplip: 3.16.3
USB Connection
No drivers required

PRINTERS folder:
HP Envy 5530 Series, hpcups 3.16.3
hp:/usb/ENVY_5530_series?serial=CN482261WX05XT

Also:
Goto 'Files'
Home
Ctrl h

scroll down to '.cups'
open '.cups'' file

should find one text file 'lpoptions'
open file
Mine reads: 'Default HP-ENVY-5530-series job-sheets=unclassified,none'
The first part I believe is correct (Default HP-ENVY-5530-series)
Anyone know what the rest means?

The information at :https://www.cups.org/doc/options.html does not seem to match what I have.

I've been at this for the past week - no joy!
-- 
Kevin

Ubuntu 16.04.2 
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Phil
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 13:34:06 -0400
Peter Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't know if I've misunderstood the problem Peter. You don't install HP printers with cups. What you need to do is install hplip and hplip-gui and then run hp-setup as sudo. You will be prompted to download a file from HP and all will good.
 
--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Chris-2
On Sun, 2017-04-09 at 10:26 +1000, Phil wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 13:34:06 -0400
> Peter Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't know if I've misunderstood the problem Peter. You don't
> install HP printers with cups. What you need to do is install hplip
> and hplip-gui and then run hp-setup as sudo. You will be prompted to
> download a file from HP and all will good.
>  
> -- 
> Regards,
> Phil
>
I have an HP1020 laser printer and don't use HPLIP. Here's my CUPS
setup

Description: HP LaserJet 1020
Location:
Driver: HP LaserJet 1020 Foomatic/foo2zjs-z1 (recommended)
(grayscale)
Connection: usb://HP/LaserJet%201020?serial=JL1F0DC
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
sides=one-sided

When printing a test page I have this in my syslog

localhost foo2zjs-wrapper: foo2zjs-wrapper -z1 -P -L0 -r1200x600 -p1
-T3 -m1 -s7 -n1
localhost foo2zjs-wrapper: gs -sPAPERSIZE=letter -g10200x6600
-r1200x600 -sDEVICE=pbmraw -dCOLORSCREEN -dMaxBitmap=500000000
localhost foo2zjs-wrapper: foo2zjs -r1200x600 -g10200x6600 -p1 -m1 -n1
-d1 -s7 -z1  -u 192x96 -l 192x96 -L 0  -T3    -P

As I said, the printer works great without HPLIP.

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
19:37:45 up 1 day, 4:18, 2 users, load average: 1.14, 3.30, 2.29
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, kernel 4.4.0-72-generic

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Phil
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 19:40:58 -0500
Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I said, the printer works great without HPLIP.

My experience with HP printers and cups has not been good. However, using hp-setup has worked flawlessly every time. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.

--
Regards,
Phil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Brian-277
In reply to this post by Kevin
On Sat 08 Apr 2017 at 13:42:11 -0300, Kevin wrote:

> The first page of every print job is similar to the test page from 'System
> Settings'>'Printer'.
> It has 'Unclassified' at the top. Colored circles are missing.
> Bottom half of page has Specs for the printer and print job.
> This problem was in 14.04 also.
> Have read CUPS web pages and hplip web pages.
> Anybody got any ideas on how to fix?

The command

  /usr/sbin/lpinfo -m | grep 5530

will give you the PPD for your printer.

The command (perhaps preceeded by 'sudo')

  lpadmin -p test5530 -v hp:/usb/ENVY_5530_series?serial=CN482261WX05XT -E -m <your_PPD>

will set up the print queue test5530. Print to it with

  lp -d test5530 /etc/nsswitch

What is the outcome?

[.....]

> scroll down to '.cups'
> open '.cups'' file
>
> should find one text file 'lpoptions'
> open file
> Mine reads: 'Default HP-ENVY-5530-series job-sheets=unclassified,none'
> The first part I believe is correct (Default HP-ENVY-5530-series)
> Anyone know what the rest means?

job-sheets prints the first and last pages as banner sheets. You have
it set for no last page and a first pages headed "unclassified". Is this
what you want? "job-sheets=none,none" would be more usual.

Please move ~/. cups/lpoptions out of the way when you follow the
guidance above. Do the same for any lpoptions file in /etc/cups. You can
also report on printing to test5530 with the files in place.

--
Brian.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HP printer prints 1/2 CUPS test page at beginning of every print job.

Kevin
In reply to this post by Kevin
Second last paragraph from
ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 152, Issue 29 Message: 3
From: Brian [hidden email]
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2017 14:37:12 +0100
 
job-sheets prints the first and last pages as banner sheets. You have
it set for no last page and a first pages headed "unclassified". Is this
what you want? "job-sheets=none,none" would be more usual.
Solves the problem. Two days ago I deleted 'lpoptions' file to see what would happen.(saved to flash drive) The page I printed was the size of a postage stamp in the left hand corner of a sheet of paper. Changing part of text to "job-sheets-none,none" solved the problem. Big thanks to Brian.
-- 
Kevin

Ubuntu 16.04.2 
Registered User


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Loading...