HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server

william drescher
My development server motherboard died.  So this time, instead of
getting an old windows machine out and making it a server I
decided to buy new.
I bought a  HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server without disks or OS.
When I started to install 14.04* LTS I got as far as configuring
the NIC and the install said that no NIC was installed.
OK, thinks I, driver problem.  To the HPE website.  They have a
driver for Red Hat or SUSE, but even if I download it for a try I
can't figure out how to merge it with the 14.04 install disk.

Thoughts/Suggestions ?

*I am staying with 14.04 until I get a huge php legacy
application converted to PHP7
bill

Re: HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server

Wynona Stacy Lockwood
Are they still using broadcom nics? I bet that's the problem if so. Personally, I turn those off in the bios and install a real nic. Preferably Intel. Broadcom nics are the herpes of network adaptors.

--
Wynona Stacy Lockwood
[hidden email]

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

Xen

william drescher schreef op 12-10-2017 13:36:
> My development server motherboard died.  So this time, instead of
> getting an old windows machine out and making it a server I decided to
> buy new.
> I bought a  HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server without disks or OS.
> When I started to install 14.04* LTS I got as far as configuring the
> NIC and the install said that no NIC was installed.
> OK, thinks I, driver problem.  To the HPE website.  They have a driver
> for Red Hat or SUSE, but even if I download it for a try I can't
> figure out how to merge it with the 14.04 install disk.

Do you need to have LAN support before installation?

On 10/12/2017 8:13 AM, Xen wrote:

> william drescher schreef op 12-10-2017 13:36:
>> My development server motherboard died.  So this time, instead of
>> getting an old windows machine out and making it a server I
>> decided to
>> buy new.
>> I bought a  HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server without disks or OS.
>> When I started to install 14.04* LTS I got as far as
>> configuring the
>> NIC and the install said that no NIC was installed.
>> OK, thinks I, driver problem.  To the HPE website.  They have a
>> driver
>> for Red Hat or SUSE, but even if I download it for a try I can't
>> figure out how to merge it with the 14.04 install disk.
>
> Do you need to have LAN support before installation?

No, just makes it easier
bill

Re: HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server

J. L.-2
On 12.10.2017 16:19, william drescher wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 8:13 AM, Xen wrote:
>> william drescher schreef op 12-10-2017 13:36:
>>> My development server motherboard died.  So this time, instead of

>> Do you need to have LAN support before installation?
>>

> No, just makes it easier

You're absolutely sure that the above mentioned nic is really enabled in
the BIOS? And really "working" (with / under another OS)?

Perhaps You can / should check this with another read-only distribution
like Knoppix for example.

Good luck! :-)

J. L.

PS:
If all fails You can get for example very well supported Intel-NICs on
ebay for (significantly) under 10 € oder $ as well ... ;-)

Re: HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server

Jeff Lane-2
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM, J. L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12.10.2017 16:19, william drescher wrote:
>
>>> Do you need to have LAN support before installation?
>>>

>> No, just makes it easier
>
> You're absolutely sure that the above mentioned nic is really enabled in
> the BIOS? And really "working" (with / under another OS)?
>
> Perhaps You can / should check this with another read-only distribution
> like Knoppix for example.
>
> Good luck! :-)
>
> J. L.
>
> PS:
> If all fails You can get for example very well supported Intel-NICs on
> ebay for (significantly) under 10 € oder $ as well ... ;-)

He should also try the 16.04 and/or 16.03.3 installer just to see if
the 4.4 or later kernel has the support.  From what I could tell, that
model has an newer Intel NIC and if he's using the older 14.04
installing with the 3.13 kernel, the support just may not be there.

Download a 14.04.5 ISO image and try booting and installing from that,
and verify that the install environment is using the 4.4 kernel as
well. (I haven't done an ISO based install in forever, so I honestly
don't remember if the .5 installer uses the 4.4 kernel or not.

Re: HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server

Compdoc@hotrodpc.com
On 10/12/2017 02:59 PM, J wrote:

> I haven't done an ISO based install in forever

I always use those. How do you do it?

On 12.10.2017 22:59, J wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM, J. L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No, just makes it easier
>>
>> You're absolutely sure that the above mentioned nic is really enabled in
>> the BIOS? And really "working" (with / under another OS)?
>>
>> Perhaps You can / should check this with another read-only distribution
>> like Knoppix for example.
>>
>> Good luck! :-)
>>
>> J. L.
>>
>> PS:
>> If all fails You can get for example very well supported Intel-NICs on
>> ebay for (significantly) under 10 € oder $ as well ... ;-)
>
> He should also try the 16.04 and/or 16.03.3 installer just to see if
> the 4.4 or later kernel has the support.  From what I could tell, that
> model has an newer Intel NIC and if he's using the older 14.04
> installing with the 3.13 kernel, the support just may not be there.

Quite right! According to
https://www.hpe.com/de/de/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.specifications.hpe-proliant-ml10-gen9-server.1008686780.html
it's an "Intel® Ethernet-Verbindung I219-LM", which might in fact be too
"new" for 14.04

On 12.10.2017 22:59, J wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM, J. L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No, just makes it easier
>>
>> You're absolutely sure that the above mentioned nic is really enabled in
>> the BIOS? And really "working" (with / under another OS)?
>>
>> Perhaps You can / should check this with another read-only distribution
>> like Knoppix for example.
>>
>> Good luck! :-)
>>
>> J. L.
>>
>> PS:
>> If all fails You can get for example very well supported Intel-NICs on
>> ebay for (significantly) under 10 € oder $ as well ... ;-)
>
> He should also try the 16.04 and/or 16.03.3 installer just to see if
> the 4.4 or later kernel has the support.  From what I could tell, that
> model has an newer Intel NIC and if he's using the older 14.04
> installing with the 3.13 kernel, the support just may not be there.

At least this modell is not listed as supported by 14.04:
https://certification.ubuntu.com/server/models/?release=14.04%20LTS&vendors=HPE

Which does not necessarily that it isn't supported as it isn't listed
under 16.04 either:
https://certification.ubuntu.com/server/models/?release=16.04%20LTS&vendors=HPE

Perhaps the TO might or should have looked at these links before his
buying decision. Sorry!

And the built-in NIC isn't listed here either:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsWiredNetworkCardsIntel

Sorry, but the TO seems to be out of luck.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM, compdoc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/12/2017 02:59 PM, J wrote:
>
>> I haven't done an ISO based install in forever
>

> I always use those. How do you do it?

MAAS (http://maas.io).  It network boots the servers and installs an
image onto them.  it's very rare that I do an ISO based install
anymore because of that.  Usually if I do use an ISO, it's installing
a KVM instance.

Xen

J. L. schreef op 13-10-2017 0:14:

> Sorry, but the TO seems to be out of luck.

Seems to be supported just fine in the kernel:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/E1000E.html

The module should be in

/lib/module/<KERNEL_VERSION>/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/

or

/lib/module/<KERNEL_VERSION>/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> J. L. schreef op 13-10-2017 0:14:
>
>> Sorry, but the TO seems to be out of luck.
>

> Seems to be supported just fine in the kernel:
>
> https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/E1000E.html
>
> The module should be in
>
> /lib/module/<KERNEL_VERSION>/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/
>
> or
>
> /lib/module/<KERNEL_VERSION>/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/

You'll note that the i-219 series:
vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15b7 ("Ethernet Connection
(2) I219-LM")
vendor: 8086 ("Intel Corporation"), device: 15b8 ("Ethernet Connection
(2) I219-V")

didn't enter the kernel until 4.x:
lkddb pci 8086 15b7 .... .... ...... : CONFIG_E1000E CONFIG_ETHERNET
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_INTEL : drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/netdev.c #
in 4.1–4.13, 4.14-rc+HEAD
lkddb pci 8086 15b8 .... .... ...... : CONFIG_E1000E CONFIG_ETHERNET
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_INTEL : drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/netdev.c #
in 4.1–4.13, 4.14-rc+HEAD

As I suggested... so trying the 14.04.5 installer (provided that does,
indeed, boot a 4.4 kernel in the installation environment) should
work.  To verify this, I downloaded the 14.04.5 ISO:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/trusty/ubuntu-14.04.5-server-amd64.iso

and booted it in a KVM instance and checked the installer environment
and it does, indeed, boot a 4.4 kernel.

So I still suggest William at least try with a freshly downloaded
14.04.5 ISO image, though by his own comments, he's not blocked on
installing, installing is just a bit annoying without network during
install (understandable).

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 6:14 PM, J. L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At least this modell is not listed as supported by 14.04:
> https://certification.ubuntu.com/server/models/?release=14.04%20LTS&vendors=HPE
>
> Which does not necessarily that it isn't supported as it isn't listed
> under 16.04 either:
> https://certification.ubuntu.com/server/models/?release=16.04%20LTS&vendors=HPE
>
> Perhaps the TO might or should have looked at these links before his
> buying decision. Sorry!
>
> And the built-in NIC isn't listed here either:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsWiredNetworkCardsIntel
>
> Sorry, but the TO seems to be out of luck.

While Ubuntu certification is certainly a good indicator of support,
it is not all-inclusive.  There are plenty of systems that are
supported just find that have not been certified, from a number of
vendors.

Re: HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server -solved

william drescher
On 10/12/2017 7:36 AM, william drescher wrote:

> My development server motherboard died.  So this time, instead of
> getting an old windows machine out and making it a server I
> decided to buy new.
> I bought a  HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server without disks or OS.
> When I started to install 14.04* LTS I got as far as configuring
> the NIC and the install said that no NIC was installed.
> OK, thinks I, driver problem.  To the HPE website.  They have a
> driver for Red Hat or SUSE, but even if I download it for a try I
> can't figure out how to merge it with the 14.04 install disk.
>
> Thoughts/Suggestions ?
>

> *I am staying with 14.04 until I get a huge php legacy
> application converted to PHP7
> bill

Going to 16.4 LTS solved the problems.
Now I have 2 questions that I will post separately.