HPLIB error

Bob

HPLIB error

Bob
I just updated from 20.04 to 20.10.  Now I am getting a pop-up (title bar =
HPLIP Status Service) message that says:

No system tray detected on this system.
Unable to start, exiting.

What and where is the system tray?

--
Robert Blair

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.  -- James Bovard, Civil Libertarian (1994)

Re: HPLIB error

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Bob,

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 18:31, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just updated from 20.04 to 20.10.  Now I am getting a pop-up (title bar =
HPLIP Status Service) message that says:

No system tray detected on this system.
Unable to start, exiting.

What and where is the system tray?

On Ubuntu, at least, I believe it is the set of icons at the top right hand corner of the screen.

I believe HPLIP relies on Python 3 as well as some packages with names beginning with hplip (on my 20.04 system, hplip-data ,hplip-doc ,hplip-gui). Are they installed?

HTH,

Ian

Re: HPLIB error

Peter Flynn
On 08/11/2020 18:29, Bob wrote:
> I just updated from 20.04 to 20.10.  Now I am getting a pop-up (title bar =
> HPLIP Status Service) message that says:
>
> No system tray detected on this system.
> Unable to start, exiting.
>
> What and where is the system tray?

It's a Windows term, I think.

HPLIP has been complaining about this for many years and done nothing. I
just ignore it.

Bob

Re: HPLIB error

Bob
** Reply to message from Ian Bruntlett <[hidden email]> on Sun, 8 Nov
2020 20:26:36 +0000

> Hi Bob,
>
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 18:31, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I just updated from 20.04 to 20.10.  Now I am getting a pop-up (title bar =
> > HPLIP Status Service) message that says:
> >
> > No system tray detected on this system.
> > Unable to start, exiting.
> >
> > What and where is the system tray?
> >

> On Ubuntu, at least, I believe it is the set of icons at the top right hand
> corner of the screen.
>
> I believe HPLIP relies on Python 3 as well as some packages with names
> beginning with hplip (on my 20.04 system, hplip-data ,hplip-doc
> ,hplip-gui). Are they installed?

robert@MARS:~$ apt list hplip*
Listing... Done
hplip-data/groovy,groovy,now 3.20.5+dfsg0-3build1 all [installed]
hplip-doc/groovy,groovy 3.20.5+dfsg0-3build1 all
hplip-gui/groovy,groovy,now 3.20.5+dfsg0-3build1 all [installed]
hplip/groovy,now 3.20.5+dfsg0-3build1 amd64 [installed]
robert@MARS:~$

Looks to me like HPLIP was updated to 20.10.
Python 3 is installed and has been updated.

--
Robert Blair

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.  -- Mark Twain (1866)

Bob

Re: HPLIB error

Bob
** Reply to message from Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> on Sun, 8 Nov 2020
20:42:13 +0000

> On 08/11/2020 18:29, Bob wrote:
> > I just updated from 20.04 to 20.10.  Now I am getting a pop-up (title bar =
> > HPLIP Status Service) message that says:
> >
> > No system tray detected on this system.
> > Unable to start, exiting.
> >
> > What and where is the system tray?
>
> It's a Windows term, I think.
>
> HPLIP has been complaining about this for many years and done nothing. I
> just ignore it.

OK.  This is the first time I have seen this message.  So I will ignore it
until I have a problem with the printer.

--
Robert Blair

There is no distinctly Native American criminal class...save Congress.  -- Mark Twain

Re: HPLIB error

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 19:31, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What and where is the system tray?

The system tray is the little area with status icons. Usually next to
the clock. By default, at bottom right on Windows and top right on old
versions of GNOME.

Are you using GNOME 3?

If so, the designers, in their finite wisdom, have decreed that system
icons telling you what's going on are obsolete and they have removed
them.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Bob

Re: HPLIB error

Bob
** Reply to message from Liam Proven <[hidden email]> on Mon, 9 Nov 2020
12:10:22 +0100

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 at 19:31, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What and where is the system tray?
>
> The system tray is the little area with status icons. Usually next to
> the clock. By default, at bottom right on Windows and top right on old
> versions of GNOME.
>
> Are you using GNOME 3?

I think it is GNOME 3.  I use the default which is UBUNTU not UBUNTU on Wayland.

> If so, the designers, in their finite wisdom, have decreed that system
> icons telling you what's going on are obsolete and they have removed
> them.

Dumb.

--
Robert Blair

Did you ever notice: When you put the 2 words ' The'   and ' IRS ' together it spells   'Theirs...'

Re: HPLIB error

Paul Smith-2
On Mon, 2020-11-09 at 10:33 -0800, Bob wrote:
> > If so, the designers, in their finite wisdom, have decreed that
> > system icons telling you what's going on are obsolete and they have
> > removed them.
>
> Dumb.

On my desktop I see indicators for various apps such as slack, remmina,
etc. on my panel.  I don't remember doing anything special to get them
and I haven't installed any extensions for this that I can find.

But, I have a vague memory that there were changes to the application
indicator so maybe the app you're using is still using the old method?

There are various extensions which support indicators.

For example, try this extension:

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/615/appindicator-support/

and see if that helps.