HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Lee Underwood
I recently upgraded to v18.04. I was a bit disappointed to find that the HTML plugins were removed (I realize it was for security purposes). I have checked around and there doesn't seem to be an alternative. I am under the impression that there never will be one for 18.04. Is that true?

I would hate to have to change to a different email client after using CM for 10+ years.

Thanks,

Lee

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 16:06 -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:
> I recently upgraded to v18.04. I was a bit disappointed to find that
> the HTML plugins were removed (I realize it was for security
> purposes). I have checked around and there doesn't seem to be an
> alternative. I am under the impression that there never will be one
> for 18.04. Is that true?
>
> I would hate to have to change to a different email client after using
> CM for 10+ years.

Hi,

Dillo is available for 18.04
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/dillo.

I build Claws from git on 16.04. I'm neither using the webkit based, nor
the Dillo plug-in, IOW I don't care about HTML view at all.

First remove all claws-mail packages, but don't remove the dependencies.
Install all required "dev"elopment packages, IOW the dev packages of all
run-time dependencies.

Open a terminal and run

git clone git://git.claws-mail.org/claws.git
cd claws/
git checkout d2f6919629e3da32181ef9a3918db0c1821680f9   #for release 3.17.3
make clean
./autogen.sh

I don't know if you need to add something to configure, if you want to
build the Dillo plug-in or if it's build automagically, if Dillo is
detected.
At first try to use configure as shown below and read the output, maybe
it confirms that the Dillo plug-in will be build, too.

./configure --build=$HOSTTYPE-ubuntu-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --disable-static --enable-enchant --enable-gnutls --enable-ldap --enable-crash-dialog --enable-pgpmime-plugin --enable-spamassassin-plugin --enable-bogofilter-plugin

sh version   #it's helpful if you shouldn't checkout a dedicated version, to edit the checkinstall version
make
sudo checkinstall
----

0 -  Maintainer: [ You <[hidden email]> ]
1 -  Summary: [ A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout ]
2 -  Name:    [ claws-mail-git ]
3 -  Version: [ 3.17.3 ]
4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL3 ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
8 -  Source location: [ claws ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
12 - Conflicts: [  ]
13 - Replaces: [  ]

There's no need to add all required dependencies to the package
information, it's just important that the dependencies are installed.
Instead of splitting the package, you now have calws-mail completely
provided by a single package.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Lee Underwood
Thanks, Ralf. I haven't done something like that before but I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Lee

On Wed, May  1, 2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 16:06 -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to v18.04. I was a bit disappointed to find that
> > the HTML plugins were removed (I realize it was for security
> > purposes). I have checked around and there doesn't seem to be an
> > alternative. I am under the impression that there never will be one
> > for 18.04. Is that true?
> >
> > I would hate to have to change to a different email client after using
> > CM for 10+ years.
>
> Hi,
>
> Dillo is available for 18.04
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/dillo.
>
> I build Claws from git on 16.04. I'm neither using the webkit based, nor
> the Dillo plug-in, IOW I don't care about HTML view at all.
>
> First remove all claws-mail packages, but don't remove the dependencies.
> Install all required "dev"elopment packages, IOW the dev packages of all
> run-time dependencies.
>
> Open a terminal and run
>
> git clone git://git.claws-mail.org/claws.git
> cd claws/
> git checkout d2f6919629e3da32181ef9a3918db0c1821680f9   #for release 3.17.3
> make clean
> ./autogen.sh
>
> I don't know if you need to add something to configure, if you want to
> build the Dillo plug-in or if it's build automagically, if Dillo is
> detected.
> At first try to use configure as shown below and read the output, maybe
> it confirms that the Dillo plug-in will be build, too.
>
> ./configure --build=$HOSTTYPE-ubuntu-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --disable-static --enable-enchant --enable-gnutls --enable-ldap --enable-crash-dialog --enable-pgpmime-plugin --enable-spamassassin-plugin --enable-bogofilter-plugin
>
> sh version   #it's helpful if you shouldn't checkout a dedicated version, to edit the checkinstall version
> make
> sudo checkinstall
> ----
>
> 0 -  Maintainer: [ You <[hidden email]> ]
> 1 -  Summary: [ A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout ]
> 2 -  Name:    [ claws-mail-git ]
> 3 -  Version: [ 3.17.3 ]
> 4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
> 5 -  License: [ GPL3 ]
> 6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
> 7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
> 8 -  Source location: [ claws ]
> 9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
> 10 - Requires: [  ]
> 11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
> 12 - Conflicts: [  ]
> 13 - Replaces: [  ]
>
> There's no need to add all required dependencies to the package
> information, it's just important that the dependencies are installed.
> Instead of splitting the package, you now have calws-mail completely
> provided by a single package.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Lee Underwood
Ralf,

So I finally got around to this but ran into a problem. When I enter ./autogen.sh, I get the following:

./autogen.sh: bison: not found
Bison is needed to compile Claws Mail git

So, I found Bison and installed it. But I still get the same error message. I am not sure how the two work together (I'm not a programmer). Any suggestions?

BTW, what happens if the previous version of CM does not get removed?

Thanks,

Leer

On Wed, May  1, 2019, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 16:06 -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:
> > I recently upgraded to v18.04. I was a bit disappointed to find that
> > the HTML plugins were removed (I realize it was for security
> > purposes). I have checked around and there doesn't seem to be an
> > alternative. I am under the impression that there never will be one
> > for 18.04. Is that true?
> >
> > I would hate to have to change to a different email client after using
> > CM for 10+ years.
>
> Hi,
>
> Dillo is available for 18.04
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/dillo.
>
> I build Claws from git on 16.04. I'm neither using the webkit based, nor
> the Dillo plug-in, IOW I don't care about HTML view at all.
>
> First remove all claws-mail packages, but don't remove the dependencies.
> Install all required "dev"elopment packages, IOW the dev packages of all
> run-time dependencies.
>
> Open a terminal and run
>
> git clone git://git.claws-mail.org/claws.git
> cd claws/
> git checkout d2f6919629e3da32181ef9a3918db0c1821680f9   #for release 3.17.3
> make clean
> ./autogen.sh
>
> I don't know if you need to add something to configure, if you want to
> build the Dillo plug-in or if it's build automagically, if Dillo is
> detected.
> At first try to use configure as shown below and read the output, maybe
> it confirms that the Dillo plug-in will be build, too.
>
> ./configure --build=$HOSTTYPE-ubuntu-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --disable-static --enable-enchant --enable-gnutls --enable-ldap --enable-crash-dialog --enable-pgpmime-plugin --enable-spamassassin-plugin --enable-bogofilter-plugin
>
> sh version   #it's helpful if you shouldn't checkout a dedicated version, to edit the checkinstall version
> make
> sudo checkinstall
> ----
>
> 0 -  Maintainer: [ You <[hidden email]> ]
> 1 -  Summary: [ A GTK+ based e-mail client - git checkout ]
> 2 -  Name:    [ claws-mail-git ]
> 3 -  Version: [ 3.17.3 ]
> 4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
> 5 -  License: [ GPL3 ]
> 6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
> 7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
> 8 -  Source location: [ claws ]
> 9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
> 10 - Requires: [  ]
> 11 - Provides: [ claws-mail ]
> 12 - Conflicts: [  ]
> 13 - Replaces: [  ]
>
> There's no need to add all required dependencies to the package
> information, it's just important that the dependencies are installed.
> Instead of splitting the package, you now have calws-mail completely
> provided by a single package.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Lee Underwood

So I got it going but I keep getting these errors for missing software, e.g., "configure: error: libetpan 0.57 not found". Any ideas?

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:20:11 -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:
>So, I found Bison and installed it. But I still get the same error
>message.

Hi Lee,

you need to install the package
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libbison-dev .

>BTW, what happens if the previous version of CM does not get removed?

Build with the same prefix, the new version overwrites files with
equal names in equal paths. Build with another prefix, it's possible
to install the new version, by keeping the old version from official
packages, while this could provide two different versions, that could
work without issues, it also could cause issues, such as loading
incompatible plugins, from the wrong path.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Bret Busby-2
On 27/10/2019, Lee Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> So I finally got around to this but ran into a problem. When I enter
> ./autogen.sh, I get the following:
>
> ./autogen.sh: bison: not found
> Bison is needed to compile Claws Mail git
>
> So, I found Bison and installed it. But I still get the same error message.
> I am not sure how the two work together (I'm not a programmer). Any
> suggestions?

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 18:16:18 -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:
>So I got it going but I keep getting these errors for missing
>software, e.g., "configure: error: libetpan 0.57 not found". Any ideas?

You likely need https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libetpan-dev . I
don't know why 0.57 is required.

Take a look at the claws-mail related packages and their dependencies:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=bionic&searchon=names&keywords=claws-mail

For example https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/claws-mail requires the
package "libetpan20".

Use https://packages.ubuntu.com/ and as keyword remove "lib" (library)
and numbers, IOW search for "etpan":

hhttps://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=bionic&searchon=names&keywords=etpan

There are also ways to get build dependencies automatically, however,
if you care about the error output of configure and if you are using
the Ubuntu package search you should be able to find all required
"-dev" packages.

Re: HTML Plugin for Claws-Mail - 18.04?

Chris Green
On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 06:16:18PM -0400, Lee Underwood wrote:

> So I got it going but I keep getting these errors for missing software,
> e.g., "configure: error: libetpan 0.57 not found". Any ideas?

You just have to keep installing the missing packages until it
compiles and builds.

--
Chris Green