Hang on splash logo while booting

Peter Flynn
The other day I installed Ubuntu 17.04 from USB onto a new Dell XPS 15
laptop (whole disk, wiping away Windows).

(I wanted 17.10 but was unable to get it to boot from USB because it
hangs on the Ubuntu logo with the red dots under it. The dots started
white, and slowly changed to red one by one...but on the last one it
stayed there and nothing more happened. I waited for 15 mins and then
hit the power button.)

So I used 17.04 instead and everything went perfectly, using whole-disk
encryption.

Today I powered it up and typed the encryption key as prompted, but I
noticed I made a mistake in typing. No problem, it asked me for it
again, so I did it right and it started turning the white dots red under
the logo...and then hung on the third dot. The message underneath said

cryptsetup: nvme0n1p5_crypt set up successfully

I powered off and restarted, and picked Advanced Options for Ubuntu from
the Grub menu, and selected 4.10.0-38-generic (recovery mode). This
boots in text mode and asks for the disk to be unlocked. I give the
crypt key and it unlocks OK. I ran Update grub bootloader from the menu,
and fsck'd the file systems, and then went for resume and got the normal
login prompt. Everything seems to be working, except...

...when I log out and power off, then restart, I get the same problem:
the Ubuntu logo and little red dots hang in the same place.

I have no idea what it is doing while it is cycling the red and white
dots, so I don't know if the problem is the logo itself or something
executing in the background (grub?).

Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with something else while booting?

///Peter

Re: Hang on splash logo while booting

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 22:45:01 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with something else while
>booting?

Sure, don't use a splash screen, if you don't want to see a splash
screen and feel free to spend a few seconds with a google research,
before sending a request to a mailing list.

Alternatively:

Did you already press the escape key when the splash screen appears?

Take a look at the log files in /var/log and try to keep in mind that
Google is your friend and that all, even the binary log files are human
readable, just display them using the "strings" command, assuming you
can't use a command such as journalctl.

On 07/11/17 06:55, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 22:45:01 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with something else while
>> booting?
>
> Sure, don't use a splash screen, if you don't want to see a splash
> screen and feel free to spend a few seconds with a google research,
> before sending a request to a mailing list.

Excellent, thanks. No, I didn't Google it because I really didn't expect
it to be possible without major engineering.

What would be nice is to find out *what* it's hanging on, but I suspect
that would need more surgery, because it boots in text mode perfectly.

On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 22:25:40 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>What would be nice is to find out *what* it's hanging on, but I
>suspect that would need more surgery, because it boots in text mode
>perfectly.

Perhaps it was just a disk check and now it would boot with the splash
screen, too.

Re: Hang on splash logo while booting

Colin Law

On 7 Nov 2017 10:27 p.m., "Peter Flynn" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/11/17 06:55, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 22:45:01 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
Is there a way to replace the Ubuntu logo with something else while
booting?

Sure, don't use a splash screen, if you don't want to see a splash
screen and feel free to spend a few seconds with a google research,
before sending a request to a mailing list.

Excellent, thanks. No, I didn't Google it because I really didn't expect it to be possible without major engineering.

What would be nice is to find out *what* it's hanging on, but I suspect that would need more surgery, because it boots in text mode perfectly.

As Ralf suggests try again with splash. If that still doesn't work tell us what you did to stop the splash. Also boot again without splash and look in syslog to see what is there for the failed boot.

Colin

On 08/11/17 05:41, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
 > Perhaps it was just a disk check and now it would boot with the splash
 > screen, too.

Sadly not...it is at least consistently failing :-)

 > On 08/11/17 07:30, Colin Law wrote:
[...]
> As Ralf suggests try again with splash. If that still doesn't work tell
> us what you did to stop the splash. Also boot again without splash and
> look in syslog to see what is there for the failed boot.

I haven't had time to look at syslog yet, and I'm away from the machine now.

A more accurate description:

1. Pressing Esc when the splash screen appears makes the display go
    blank and nothing more happens. Pressing keys does nothing, and there
    is no mouse cursor. Basically dead, although the lights are still on.

2. When it hangs, it can always be rebooted after power cycle using
    Recovery Mode from the Grub menu. It asks for the disk crypt in text
    mode, and continues to boot OK. Completing full boot from the menu
    gets a normal graphical login and everything works.

3. Removing 'quiet splash' from the Grub boot line goes to text-mode
    boot, but instead of the screen being a 24-line 80-char monochrome
    TTY, the font is smaller and it's in colour, like with a colour
    xterm. Boot goes on for 40 secs then hangs. As it's not
    copy/pastable, I wrote it down:

> Reached target multi-user system
> [*] Started WPA Supplicant
> [40.1000001] Watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7 stuck for 23s! [gpu-manager:933]
> [***] A start job is running for Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes (3 min 47s/no limit)

That last line gets repeated every few minutes. I understand what it
says, but it's obviously not able to report what the underlying problem
is. A stuck CPU is doubleplusungood. Then it spews out a little more:

> [242.652679] Tainted: G L 4.13-0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs disables this message

Then it goes back to A start job is running, and the whole thing cycles.

Hold down power for 5 secs and force halt. Reboot from Recovery, select
full reboot, and it's back in action. Normal shutdown, power off. Then
power up and it enters graphical boot, give the disk crypt, and the
Ubuntu logo white does start turning red until the third one, when it
hangs solid.

Once it was booted I looked at dmesg but there was nothing in there
about CPU#7 or any lockup, but that seems to have occurred after
runlevel 5 was reached. I then did a system upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10,
not something I normally do on my production systems, but in this case I
now regard the laptop as sacrificial. This upgrade has not changed the
behaviour, however: it still hangs in graphical boot as described.

It's of course possible that it is a hardware problem, I guess. But for
the first 2-3 days of use (new last week) it worked fine, being
installed with 17.04 without problems, and being shut down and rebooted
several times. Then this problem occurred suddenly and without any event
acting as warning.

///Peter

Re: Hang on splash logo while booting

Peter Flynn
On 08/11/17 07:30, Colin Law wrote:> As Ralf suggests try again with
splash. If that still doesn't work tell
> us what you did to stop the splash. Also boot again without splash and
> look in syslog to see what is there for the failed boot.

Finally got a chance to try again. Syslog offered no clues that I was
able to identify, but I'm not a kernel engineer, so there is much in
there that I don't grok. But there was nothing to suggest anything
related to the repetitive errors I quoted before.

While digging around on marginally related missions I came across a page
on bringing up Ubuntu on an XPS 15 in dual boot with Windows. I'm not
doing that, but I used the suggestions on
https://github.com/rcasero/doc/wiki/Ubuntu-linux-on-Dell-XPS-15-(9560)
for how to deal with getting the latest nVidia drivers and switching
from the synaptics to libinput touchpad driver. Now it boots normally in
graphical mode, so in my ignorance I suspect the video driver.

The touchpad was indeed grossly oversensitive, and is now relatively
normal (Dell touchpads and Linux don't play nicely and never have).

Thank you all for your help.

///Peter

Re: Hang on splash logo while booting (was: Re: switch off auto-selection of text

Peter Flynn
On 26/12/17 13:57, robert wrote:
 > On 26.12.2017 14:31, Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
>> (I'm also curious to know — in another thread, I suggest — how you
>> got Ubuntu installed at all, as none of the flavours will boot from
>> the USB for me — they all hang on the fourth coloured dot while the
>> Ubuntu logo is on-screen during bootup, apparently because the
>> video driver is mismatched. I found that Mint doesn't do this, and
>> it detects *and* installs *and* fixes the NVidia driver problems
>> *and* correctly updates grub, which no other distro would do on
>> this laptop). >
 > This is nothing I had much problems with.

That's astonishing. I have had nothing but problems so far. I have
blogged about some of them at http://blogs.silmaril.ie/peter and there
is a post from early Nov appended below with a summary

> It is some moth i did it for 17.10. I remember it consisted mainly of
> finding out which bios combination to use

That's certainly part of it. The Golden Rule seems to be to avoid UEFI
at all costs. Before trying to boot *anything* from USB, enable Legacy
Boot instead of UEFI.

I basically tried every distro I was familiar with: all the *ubuntu
family, Bodhi, Mint, Fedora, Point, and half a dozen others.

The ONLY ones that booted from the USB were Bodhi and Mint. This is
particularly disappointing, as I have been using Ubuntu and Xubuntu for
many years, and wasn't expecting them to gag on something like a video
driver before they had even booted.

Therefore the only systems I was able to install were Bodhi and Mint. I
was interested in Bodhi because I use Enlightenment as my WM, and it's
supposed to be built into the system. Unfortunately it's not: instead,
there's badly outdated version they forked from E some years ago. But at
least Bodhi installed, even though it failed to write a working grub to
the SSD partition, so I had to force that on by hand, and get it to
update the video driver manually.

Mint on the other hand sailed through installation, as I said: fixed the
driver, installed grub, and updated everything.

Given what I report below, I am actually wondering if my XPS 15 has a
hardware defect.  But returning it would mean wiping it and having to go
through the whole process of building my data back after installation
again; and I may have voided the warranty by installing Linux anyway.

///Peter

On 08/11/17 22:35, Peter Flynn wrote:

> A more accurate description:
>
> 1. Pressing Esc when the splash screen appears makes the display go
>     blank and nothing more happens. Pressing keys does nothing, and there
>     is no mouse cursor. Basically dead, although the lights are still on.
>
> 2. When it hangs, it can always be rebooted after power cycle using
>     Recovery Mode from the Grub menu. It asks for the disk crypt in text
>     mode, and continues to boot OK. Completing full boot from the menu
>     gets a normal graphical login and everything works.
>
> 3. Removing 'quiet splash' from the Grub boot line goes to text-mode
>     boot, but instead of the screen being a 24-line 80-char monochrome
>     TTY, the font is smaller and it's in colour, like with a colour
>     xterm. Boot goes on for 40 secs then hangs. As it's not
>     copy/pastable, I wrote it down:
>
>> Reached target multi-user system
>> [*] Started WPA Supplicant
>> [40.1000001] Watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7 stuck for 23s!
>> [gpu-manager:933]
>> [***] A start job is running for Detect the available GPUs and deal
>> with any system changes (3 min 47s/no limit)
>
> That last line gets repeated every few minutes. I understand what it
> says, but it's obviously not able to report what the underlying problem
> is. A stuck CPU is doubleplusungood. Then it spews out a little more:
>
>> [242.652679] Tainted: G L 4.13-0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu
>> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs disables this message
>
> Then it goes back to A start job is running, and the whole thing cycles.
>
> Hold down power for 5 secs and force halt. Reboot from Recovery, select
> full reboot, and it's back in action. Normal shutdown, power off. Then
> power up and it enters graphical boot, give the disk crypt, and the
> Ubuntu logo white does start turning red until the third one, when it
> hangs solid.
>
> Once it was booted I looked at dmesg but there was nothing in there
> about CPU#7 or any lockup, but that seems to have occurred after
> runlevel 5 was reached. I then did a system upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10,
> not something I normally do on my production systems, but in this case I
> now regard the laptop as sacrificial. This upgrade has not changed the
> behaviour, however: it still hangs in graphical boot as described.
>
> It's of course possible that it is a hardware problem, I guess. But for
> the first 2-3 days of use (new last week) it worked fine, being
> installed with 17.04 without problems, and being shut down and rebooted
> several times. Then this problem occurred suddenly and without any event
> acting as warning.
>
> ///Peter

Re: Hang on splash logo while booting (was: Re: switch off auto-selection of text

Liam Proven
On 27 December 2017 at 01:44, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's certainly part of it. The Golden Rule seems to be to avoid UEFI at
> all costs. Before trying to boot *anything* from USB, enable Legacy Boot
> instead of UEFI.

This is true.

But the #1 problem with booting and so on is outdated firmware.

E.g. I work for a software company. You'd think they'd know.

My machine was running A03. The latest was A19. SIXTEEN versions out of date.

I upgraded it and boot times went from 2 min (i.e. to GRUB menu) to 10 sec.

Have you checked?