Hangs and slow LTSP PnP Thin Clients

Giacomo Trovato
Hi All,

I've an LTSP PnP classroom with 10 Alix2d13 thin clients (AMD Geode LX 500 Mhz, 256 MB ram) .
The server is an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz, 4 GB ram.

I've two main problems:
- sometimes the thin clients hang without any message (especially with graphic applications); could be an hardware or a software problem related to Geode drivers? How I can check if I have the proper Geode driver installed?
- the users complain about low Internet performances when all clients use game with flash. The server doesn't seem overloaded; I do not think a problem related with Internet bandwidth (it's around 6 Mbps). Could be a problem related to an overload of thin client? Could be useful to install a proxy or install Firefox as local app on thin clients?

Thank you for the answers!

Re: Hangs and slow LTSP PnP Thin Clients

Quynh Vu Do
Hi,

Years ago, I had the same problem with slow applications running in the fat-clients, especially when using OpenOffice.org and when users accessed Flash web sites (to the point some clients appeard to be freezing).

I did solved the problem by installing OpenOffice.org and Firefox as local applications (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPLocalAppSetup).

Good luck with the settings

Hi All,

I've an LTSP PnP classroom with 10 Alix2d13 thin clients (AMD Geode LX 500 Mhz, 256 MB ram) .
The server is an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz, 4 GB ram.

I've two main problems:
- sometimes the thin clients hang without any message (especially with graphic applications); could be an hardware or a software problem related to Geode drivers? How I can check if I have the proper Geode driver installed?
- the users complain about low Internet performances when all clients use game with flash. The server doesn't seem overloaded; I do not think a problem related with Internet bandwidth (it's around 6 Mbps). Could be a problem related to an overload of thin client? Could be useful to install a proxy or install Firefox as local app on thin clients?

Thank you for the answers!

Vu Do Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam
Blog personnel: Choses vues et vécues...

Re: Hangs and slow LTSP PnP Thin Clients

Άλκης Γεωργόπουλος
Don't follow any wiki links for localapps.
ltsp-pnp already has all the applications locally in the "chroot".
You can try to launch a browser locally by running:
$ ltsp-localapps xterm
and then inside the xterm
$ firefox
..but you'll see that 256 MB RAM is too little to run a browser locally.

Also Geode support in Linux is pretty lame, and it's frequently a cause
for crashes.

Try netbooting a desktop PC, something with e.g. 2 GB RAM and > 2000
score in cpubenchmark.net. It will automatically boot as a fat client,
the browser will run locally and flash performance will be fine.

It's time to upgrade your clients to fats. :)

On 26/11/2015 10:06 πμ, Giacomo Trovato wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've an LTSP PnP classroom with 10 Alix2d13 thin clients (AMD Geode LX
> 500 Mhz, 256 MB ram) .
> The server is an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz, 4 GB ram.
>
> I've two main problems:
> - sometimes the thin clients hang without any message (especially with
> graphic applications); could be an hardware or a software problem
> related to Geode drivers? How I can check if I have the proper Geode
> driver installed?
> - the users complain about low Internet performances when all clients
> use game with flash. The server doesn't seem overloaded; I do not think
> a problem related with Internet bandwidth (it's around 6 Mbps). Could be
> a problem related to an overload of thin client? Could be useful to
> install a proxy or install Firefox as local app on thin clients?
>
> Thank you for the answers!

Re: Hangs and slow LTSP PnP Thin Clients

Giacomo Trovato
Hi Alkis,

I come back on this...
To have better performance with my poor hardware has sense to use a more light desktop environment or install Xubuntu/Lubuntu on my server?
Does your LTSP work on other Ubuntu derivatives?

Thank you!