Hardening Network Security Questions

bobby
I was on the ubuntu forums, and a user had posted this:

Always have both a hardware AND software firewall.
Don't trust other computers on the same LAN implicitly. One of them may have been hacked and is being used to attack all other systems

I had some clarification questions on these:
1. I am running iptables on my server. Is this not enough? Is a hardware device recommended as well?
2. How is this acted upon? How do I protect myself internally, from these types of attacks?

Re: Hardening Network Security Questions

Jim Tarvid
iptables is not enough. You will need to maintain a list of banned ips. failtoban - https://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page is a good start.
A hardware firewall will only add to confusion. See https://github.com/trick77/ipset-blacklist

But ... backup first and always. I backup to a second server with rsync daily. I inspect logins and new files daily.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:29 AM, bobby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was on the ubuntu forums, and a user had posted this:

Always have both a hardware AND software firewall.
Don't trust other computers on the same LAN implicitly. One of them may have been hacked and is being used to attack all other systems

I had some clarification questions on these:
1. I am running iptables on my server. Is this not enough? Is a hardware device recommended as well?
2. How is this acted upon? How do I protect myself internally, from these types of attacks?

Kindness Works!
Jim Tarvid
12897A Grays Pointe Road, Fairfax, Va 22033-2143
38.87782, -77.39270
703-657-0099 Condo
703-624-5289 Cell
703-594-7297 Google voice