Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

1234 ... 33

Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

DC Parris
This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
have completely replaced Windows.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Don
--
DC Parris     Libre Software Advocate
http://matheteuo.org/

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Charles Yao

On 12/1/05, DC Parris <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
have completely replaced Windows.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Don
--
DC Parris     Libre Software Advocate
http://matheteuo.org/
"Hey man, whatever pickles your list!"

Sadly no, although many of the terminals in our office is on Ubuntu, most of our management use macs and windows. Mostly due to the issue of peropherals like scanners and printers not working with ubuntu. But the terminals we have on Ubuntu are working well thouh I guess the only issue are drivers for scanners etc.

Charles

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Senectus .
On 12/1/05, DC Parris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.
3x over
Once on my home Desktop and also on my Work Laptop Plus my home server :-)

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
 I will write on a huge cement block "BY ACCEPTING THIS BRICK THROUGH

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Vincent Trouilliez
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 20:28 -0500, DC Parris wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.

Well, there is me :o)

--
Vince

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

chrisccoulson

Yes, the only issue that keeps pushing me to use windows is that my wife
uses msn messenger with webcam, and refuses to use gnomemeeting from
time to time :/, guess that will be fixed when the new gaim release is
out (dont mind to use amsn...).

--
arpunk

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

James Gray-2
On Thursday 01 December 2005 12:28, DC Parris wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
> Don

All my desktop machines use Ubuntu (Kubuntu actually):
Home Systems:
frodo        - AMD64 Kubuntu Breezy
highlander   - Ubuntu Breezy server (firewall)
arachnid     - Ubuntu Breezy server (web + DNS server)
ninja        - Ubuntu Breezy server (Mail)
mojo         - Ubuntu Breezy server (NFS+Samba + DHCP + Squid + MySQL +...)

Work Systems:
gandalf     - Intel Centrino Laptop (HP NC6230) Kubuntu Breezy
4 x servers - Ubuntu Breezy servers
              (squid proxy, mail filter x 2, DNS server)

My wife uses WinXP but accesses her stuff via Samba.  So As far as I'm
concerned, Windows is a vague memory of a bygone era, although I still
support it via Samba on my LAN :P

BTW - my squid proxy and mail filters at work both talk to the Winders
(in)Active Directory to authenticate users (squid) and determine if an e-mail
recipient actually exists on the domain (mail filters).

Cheers,

James
--
: is not an identifier

arpunk Wrote:
> Yes, the only issue that keeps pushing me to use windows is that my wife
> uses msn messenger with webcam, and refuses to use gnomemeeting from
> time to time :/, guess that will be fixed when the new gaim release is
> out (dont mind to use amsn...).

Maybe not..

I sure I read in a blog recently that Google dumped a barrow load of
code into the GAIM project and had a hand in tossing out the MSN video
code that was nearly completed..

I'f I could do a word search in BLAM I'd find the article and post it
:-P

--
senectus

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Ron Bellomo
DC Parris wrote:

>This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
>have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
>replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
>need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
>have completely replaced Windows.
>
>Thanks in advance for your time.
>Don

Yes, I am running Ubuntu exclusively on all 4 of my computers. They
include two HP Pavilions (different models), one HP laptop, and a no
name beige box.

This computer (Athlon XP 3000+, 1Gig RAM) has dual monitors, my other
Pavilion (1.8GHz P4, 512 MB RAM) has an HP ScanJet 5p scanner running on
an Adaptec SCSI adapter, the laptop (2.4 GHz Celeron, 512 MB RAM) is
using a wireless connection, and the beige box is the oldest, runs an
Athlon 1 GHz processor (384 MB RAM), and is the one I experiment with
the most.

HTH.

Ron

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

chrisccoulson

Yes. On four different computers used for both work and play.

--
matthew

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

chrisccoulson

I run Ubuntu on my laptop and on my desktop/server.  I also have a media
box, which runs XP because I like MediaPortal (I tried KnoppMyth but
setting up the PVR-500 proved out of my range of skills).

I don't think I'd be comfortable running a windows box in a desktop
environment now, at least not one attached to the internet.  Yeah, you
can make it secure but it's a lot more work!  :rolleyes:

--
briguy

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Carroll Grigsby
DC Parris wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
> Don

Don:
No Windows here in over three years. Hoary on this box, Mandrake on the
spare machine (mostly used by grandchildren), and SheThatIs uses a Mac
mini. Oh yeah, there's also an old CP/M computer on the shelf.

-- cmg

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

chrisccoulson

I probably don't fit your criteria.  I use switchable hard drives rather
than dual boot.  I only use WinXP for some games I play once in a while.
I'll stay up on Ubuntu for weeks at a time.  I use Ubuntu for work and
play other than Civ IV and Alpha Centauri, and my wife uses it to write
her papers for nursing school and web research.

--
SamH

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

chrisccoulson

When I used Hoary I still had WinXP on the same computer but didn't ever
use it. When I installed Breezy, I re-formatted and now have only
Ubuntu. We have other family members in our home with other computers.
They still have WinXP. I have not convinced them to switch. I use Win2k
at work. I do prefer Ubuntu though. I use a fat32 external hard drive to
swap files between work and home.

--
keithb

senectus Wrote:
> Maybe not..

> I sure I read in a blog recently that Google dumped a barrow load of
> code into the GAIM project and had a hand in tossing out the MSN video
> code that was nearly completed..

> I'f I could do a word search in BLAM I'd find the article and post it
> :-P
Yea, but the other day i went to #gaim and asked about webcams and
whats going on with the news, and got flamed and kicked out :/ guess we
just have to wait, thus i admit i would really love to see webcam on
gaim, while that, ill just stick with gnomemeeting :D

--
arpunk

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Matthew Palmer-2
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:28:00PM -0500, DC Parris wrote:
> This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
> have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
> replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
> need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
> have completely replaced Windows.

I've got an XP partition on this laptop, but it's never been booted in the 4
months I've had the machine.  My (non-technical) wife doesn't even have the
windows partition, she's 100% Ubuntu.  The file/print server runs it, and
the router runs OpenWRT.

- Matt

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Sean Sieger
"DC Parris" <[hidden email]> writes:

   This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how many people
   have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
   replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting), there's no
   need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those who
   have completely replaced Windows.

Never even considered a dual boot -- just replaced it, March 2004.

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

custom-5
Hello DC,

Thursday, December 1, 2005, 8:28:00 AM, you wrote:

DP> I'd like to know how many people have actually replaced Windows
DP> with Ubuntu Linux.

I would do so in a split-second if only it would work with my new
digital camera, and frankly I don't trust it to support any future
hardware I might buy, or software I might need, either.

Oh yes, and I would have to give up video editing. With a new baby
around and loads of video, that's not going to happen. I like the
Kino-effort, but it's no Sony Vegas..

Then, printing just about anything beyond basic text I do on Windows..
It just doesn't come out as good.

And there's the thing that to run Ubuntu and connect to the Internet,
I need to connect it to a Windows laptop with Internet Connection
Sharing turned on..  Ubuntu doesn't work with the built-in modem.

So if it wasn't for Windows, you wouldn't be reading this.

Cheers,
Chanchao

On Thursday 01 December 2005 15:32, Chanchao wrote:

> Hello DC,
>
> Thursday, December 1, 2005, 8:28:00 AM, you wrote:
>
> DP> I'd like to know how many people have actually replaced Windows
> DP> with Ubuntu Linux.
>
> I would do so in a split-second if only it would work with my new
> digital camera, and frankly I don't trust it to support any future
> hardware I might buy, or software I might need, either.
>
> Oh yes, and I would have to give up video editing. With a new baby
> around and loads of video, that's not going to happen. I like the
> Kino-effort, but it's no Sony Vegas..
>
> Then, printing just about anything beyond basic text I do on Windows..
> It just doesn't come out as good.
>
> And there's the thing that to run Ubuntu and connect to the Internet,
> I need to connect it to a Windows laptop with Internet Connection
> Sharing turned on..  Ubuntu doesn't work with the built-in modem.
>
> So if it wasn't for Windows, you wouldn't be reading this.

Nothing you've mentioned (beyond Kino) is at all the fault of Linux or the
open source community.  Blame hardware vendors and software writers who
refuse to release drivers/versions for Linux or release the information
needed to write an open source driver or open source file reader/writer.
There's only so much you can achieve from reverse engineering (which is now
illegal in some parts of the world anyway).

Personally, rather than buying 6-stud-pattern wheels for my car, then
screaming at Ford coz they don't fit the 5-stud hubs, I buy stuff the
supports the system I use.  On my car, 5-stud wheels.  On my computers, I buy
from vendors who support Linux by either releasing binary drivers (NVidia,
Intel ProWireless et al) or release sufficient info for the open source
community to write a driver.

Cheers,

James
--
BOFH excuse #192:

runaway cat on system.

Re[2]: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

custom-5
Hello James,

Thursday, December 1, 2005, 11:41:33 AM, you wrote:

JG> Nothing you've mentioned (beyond Kino) is at all the fault of Linux or the
JG> open source community.

Of course it's not their fault.  But who's blaming them for anything
anyway? :-)

JG> Blame hardware vendors and software writers who
JG> refuse to release drivers/versions for Linux or release the information
JG> needed to write an open source driver or open source file reader/writer.

I do!

The result though is that I currently can't ditch Windows.

Cheers,
Chanchao

Re: Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Cybe R. Wizard
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:51:58 -0500
Sean Sieger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "DC Parris" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>    This is something of a quick straw poll.  I'd like to know how
> many people
>    have actually replaced Windows with Ubuntu Linux.  If you have not
>    replaced Windows altogether (i.e., you're still dual-booting),
> there's no
>    need to respond.  I'm really only interested in hearing from those
> who
>    have completely replaced Windows.
>
> Never even considered a dual boot -- just replaced it, March 2004.

I dual-booted for a while on my last box but this new one has been pure
Linux (although it has held several other distros before Ubuntu) since
its birth on July 24, 2002. Ubuntu since Warty was fairly new.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?
A: Apart from the fact that viruses are supported by their authors,

1234 ... 33