Has something changed with "data transmission" since 16.04?

Has something changed with "data transmission" since 16.04?

Owen Thomas
I am running two instances of a Java program that talk to each other on the same machine using Java sockets. Since moving from 16.04 to 20.04, I have noticed that these two instances establish connections and exchange data perhaps at least 500 times faster. The increase in speed appears to be so much that it appears I have had to measure transfer times in nanoseconds instead of milliseconds because transfers, once taking about 88 milliseconds now might take about 150 microseconds.

Will similar transfer rates also be observed when I run each instance from a separate machine as was the case when I was running under 16.04? Did 16.04 have a data transfer bottleneck that has been eliminated in later releases?

I also moved JDK's from 8 to 11, and perhaps something changed there. (?)

Let me know thanks.

  Owen.

--
I cut code. I'll cut your code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Dislocation is a notion which is going to have to be accepted by my employer.

Re: Has something changed with "data transmission" since 16.04?

Owen Thomas
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 13:55, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am running two instances of a Java program that talk to each other on the same machine using Java sockets. Since moving from 16.04 to 20.04, I have noticed that these two instances establish connections and exchange data perhaps at least 500 times faster. The increase in speed appears to be so much that it appears I have had to measure transfer times in nanoseconds instead of milliseconds because transfers, once taking about 88 milliseconds now might take about 150 microseconds.

Will similar transfer rates also be observed when I run each instance from a separate machine as was the case when I was running under 16.04? Did 16.04 have a data transfer bottleneck that has been eliminated in later releases?

Additionally, I observe transfer times to be highly variable within this smaller time window. Perhaps this variability was being masked by the larger one of 88 about milliseconds, but my instances sense this proportionately larger variability by re-acquiring new socket connections more often than the increase in transfer rate alone would dictate. I am wondering this perhaps to myself, yet I wonder it aloud here in the hope of some valuable advice.