Hebrew/RTL problems in Ubuntu 7.10

Shlomi Loubaton
Hi all,

My work on the Ubuntu Hebrew Remix has revealed the following Hebrew-related issues:

* There is a new bug in GTK's Right to Left text rendering. Sometimes the right edge of Hebrew text boxes get cut and you can see only a half of the first letter. This can be seen in the first screen of the (Hebrew GUI) Ubiquity installer.

* gfxboot - doesn't support RTL Text. The UTF text is displayed visually and not according to the Unicode Bidi Algorithm. A dirty hack is to write the strings file (he.tr) using "visual Hebrew" and then it gets displayed correctly on-screen.

* gfxboot-theme-ubuntu - doesn't include Hebrew font. This theme uses the file 16x16.fnt which include only enough Hebrew letters to spell "Ivrit" in Hebrew and that's why you will not see Hebrew in the boot menu of the official Ubuntu LiveCD. A Hebrew font can be generated using the mkblfont utility:

./mkblfont -v -f MiriamMonoCLM-Book:size=14:prop=2:space_width=2:dy=3 -a 0x05d0-0x05EA,0x0020-0x007e -l 12 -p ./ 16x16.fnt

* In the startup page of Firefox the title says "Welcome to Dapper Drake". That's probably just a simple installation issue.

You are most welcome to investigate these issue and share your findings.
(I do not have time to do it myself in the next few weeks).

Regards,
       Shlomi Loubaton

Re: Hebrew/RTL problems in Ubuntu 7.10

Shlomi Loubaton

Well , In this case ..
Count me out of the *nix world.

And , in case you have not noticed yet, Ubuntu is "Linux for HUMAN beings" and not "Linux for hacker-wannabes".

:P

Best regards,
       Shlomi Loubaton.

On Dec 21, 2007 8:38 PM, Igor Konforti <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know about others but i really prefer english GUI. IMO, whoever is in *nix world he is not using hebrew as GUI.

But nice fixs Shlomi

2007/11/7, Shlomi Loubaton < [hidden email]>:
[...]

Eli Daian
I agree with Shlomi, and I also use the Hebrew interface.
Maybe it is just me, but I really don't like the English, and I try to use other languages wherever it is possible.

* gfxboot - doesn't support RTL Text. The UTF text is displayed visually and not according to the Unicode Bidi Algorithm. A dirty hack is to write the strings file (<a href="http://he.tr" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> he.tr) using "visual Hebrew" and then it gets displayed correctly on-screen.

* gfxboot-theme-ubuntu - doesn't include Hebrew font. This theme uses the file 16x16.fnt which include only enough Hebrew letters to spell "Ivrit" in Hebrew and that's why you will not see Hebrew in the boot menu of the official Ubuntu LiveCD. A Hebrew font can be generated using the mkblfont utility:

./mkblfont -v -f MiriamMonoCLM-Book:size=14:prop=2:space_width=2:dy=3 -a 0x05d0-0x05EA,0x0020-0x007e -l 12 -p ./ 16x16.fnt

* In the startup page of Firefox the title says "Welcome to Dapper Drake". That's probably just a simple installation issue.

You are most welcome to investigate these issue and share your findings.
(I do not have time to do it myself in the next few weeks).

Regards,
       Shlomi Loubaton

Re: Hebrew/RTL problems in Ubuntu 7.10

confiq-2
Well you got good point there...
Sorry for being not polite...  just wanted to express my opinion about hebrew (read: unicode) on linux.

Few days ago i saw hebrew date on terminal and it screwed all my CLI (not ubuntu) and i said to my self that unicode is not for *nix. Again, it's only my opinion....