Help! I killed my GUI!

Mike White-8

Edubuntu 7.10: I removed some packages through synaptic package manager and rebooted a few of the LTSP clients. Now I can boot them up to a login screen, but once I login the screen is black with only a mouse cursor.

Is there a way to get to the command line interface to back-track and restore some of the removed packages?

Michael White

Bradshaw Christian School

Technology Coordinator

[hidden email]

P. (916) 204-8054

Re: Help! I killed my GUI!

Scott Balneaves
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 03:27:51PM -0700, Mike White wrote:
> Edubuntu 7.10: I removed some packages through synaptic package manager and rebooted a few of the LTSP clients. Now I can boot them up to a login screen, but once I login the screen is black with only a mouse cursor.
>
> Is there a way to get to the command line interface to back-track and restore some of the removed packages?

You'll probably want to try apt-get install edubuntu-desktop.

What packages did you remove?

Cheers,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "There are many causes I am prepared to die for,
Systems Department |  but no causes I am prepared to kill for."

RE: Help! I killed my GUI!

Mike White-8
How do I get to the command line to run apt-get?

Michael White
Bradshaw Christian School
Technology Coordinator
[hidden email]
P. (916) 204-8054

Mario Đanić
CTRL+ALT+F1 should work.

KR,
M.

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 01:29, Mike White <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I get to the command line to run apt-get?
>
> Michael White
> Bradshaw Christian School
> Technology Coordinator
> [hidden email]
> P. (916) 204-8054

Re: Help! I killed my GUI!

Jordan Erickson
Mike,

On the server - Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Or, CTRL+ALT+F1. Make sure you're running from the LTSP server though,
as CTRL+ALT+F1 from a thin-client will only give you the tty for the
chroot - which isn't where we want to re-install edubuntu-desktop.

Cheers,
Jordan

Mike White wrote:

> How do I get to the command line to run apt-get?
>
> Michael White
> Bradshaw Christian School
> Technology Coordinator
> [hidden email]
> P. (916) 204-8054

RE: Help! I killed my GUI!

Mike White-8
Excellent. Thank you. Now I receive "E: Broken Packages" when I run sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

Michael White
Bradshaw Christian School
Technology Coordinator
[hidden email]
P. (916) 204-8054

Re: Help! I killed my GUI!

Gavin McCullagh-3
Hi,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Mike White wrote:

> Excellent. Thank you. Now I receive "E: Broken Packages" when I run sudo
> apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

You may need to do this first:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a

to configure any half-installed packages, then
        sudo aptitude install edubuntu-desktop

as aptitude is a little smarter than apt-get it comes to resolving certain
issues.

Gavin

RE: Broken GUI

Mike White-8
Thanks Gavin.

I performed that step. It seems the root issue now is it believes the media has changed. The Edubuntu OS is a guest OS on a virtual machine. I am using the same .iso image as the CD-ROM, so I don't understand why it thinks the media has changed. Any thoughts?

Is there a way within the terminal to either re-configure the drive letter or media information of the CD-ROM drive it is trying to reference?

Michael White
Bradshaw Christian School
Technology Coordinator
[hidden email]