Help with autoinstall storage

Jerry Geis
I have existing systems out there...
basic structure

sda1 is / (variable sizes) ext4
sda2 swap (variable sizes)
sda3 /home (variable sizes) ext4

How do I create a storage section in autoinstall that the partition size does not matter - just "use" the current exact size, that formats /, that does not format /home and can skip sda2 or use sda2 - either way is fine. key is to just "use" the size of the existing partition.

Thanks

Jerry

Re: Help with autoinstall storage

Jerry Geis

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:45 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have existing systems out there...
basic structure

sda1 is / (variable sizes) ext4
sda2 swap (variable sizes)
sda3 /home (variable sizes) ext4

How do I create a storage section in autoinstall that the partition size does not matter - just "use" the current exact size, that formats /, that does not format /home and can skip sda2 or use sda2 - either way is fine. key is to just "use" the size of the existing partition.

Thanks

Jerry

seriously - how do you do this ??? I get "missing required positional size " - I want to keep the partition - I dont know the size.

jerry

Re: Help with autoinstall storage

Tom H-4
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 3:47 AM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have existing systems out there...
> basic structure
>
> sda1 is / (variable sizes) ext4
> sda2 swap (variable sizes)
> sda3 /home (variable sizes) ext4
>
> How do I create a storage section in autoinstall that the
> partition size does not matter - just "use" the current exact
> size, that formats /, that does not format /home and can skip
> sda2 or use sda2 - either way is fine. key is to just "use" the
> size of the existing partition.

If you mean that you want to install onto pre-existing partitions, you
probably have to use "preserve: true" instead of "wipe: <whatever>" in
the "type:disk" stanza. But I have no idea what you then have to use
for the "type: partition" and "type: format" stanzas.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 6:26 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:45 PM Jerry Geis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have existing systems out there...
>> basic structure
>>
>> sda1 is / (variable sizes) ext4
>> sda2 swap (variable sizes)
>> sda3 /home (variable sizes) ext4
>>
>> How do I create a storage section in autoinstall that the
>> partition size does not matter - just "use" the current exact
>> size, that formats /, that does not format /home and can skip
>> sda2 or use sda2 - either way is fine. key is to just "use" the
>> size of the existing partition.
>
> seriously - how do you do this ??? I get "missing required
> positional size " - I want to keep the partition - I dont know
> the size.

I don't think that anyone here uses subiquity's autoinstall feature.