Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Gerry Boland
Hi everyone,
I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).

Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.

I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
get the right person to help.

I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
there too!

To get in touch with me, you can
- just email me: [hidden email]
- ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on #kubuntu-devel

Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
Slack/Telegram groups, etc?

Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
Cheers
-Gerry




--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Clive Johnston-3
Hi Gerry,

Nice to see you volunteering to help out and welcome aboard :)  

To be honest we could do with a helping hand getting new packages into the archive as this is the main "thorn" in our side at this moment in time.  Would you mind giving us a shout in #kubuntu-devel when you are free to talk?

You mentioned you are using KDE on your desktop, is that Kubuntu, KDE neon or another distro?

BTW Where are you in Ireland?  I'm up north in County Fermanagh.  Would also like to see the Irish LoCo run a few more events, as it hasn't seen much love recently - http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ie/ is that something you would be interested in?

With kind regards,
Clive

 



On 10 July 2017 at 19:13, Gerry Boland <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,
I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).

Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.

I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
get the right person to help.

I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
there too!

To get in touch with me, you can
- just email me: [hidden email]
- ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on #kubuntu-devel

Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
Slack/Telegram groups, etc?

Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
Cheers
-Gerry




--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel



--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Rik Mills-2
In reply to this post by Gerry Boland
Welcome. It was a pleasant surprise to get that email. :)

On 10/07/17 19:13, Gerry Boland wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
> Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
> I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
> moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
> moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).
>
> Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
> desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
> Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.

Welcome home.

> I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
> can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
> sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
> get the right person to help.

We certainly will. With no active MOTU or core -dev on our team at the
moment, we have struggled to get things like new sources into the
archive, and similar permission based tasks. A clear direct or indirect
route to 'get things done' is very much appreciated.

> I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
> sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
> should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
> there too!

Sadly I can't go, but I think at least Valorie Zimmerman and one or 2
others will be there.

> To get in touch with me, you can
> - just email me: [hidden email]
> - ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on #kubuntu-devel
>
> Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
> Slack/Telegram groups, etc?

We don't use slack (sadly), but the obvious KDE related IRC channels
might be advisable.

#kde-devel
#plasma (quite active especially for Monday planning meetings
#kde-neon (we still have much crossover with them in tools, packaging etc)

There is also the kubuntu devel Telegram channel, which is basically a
bridge to the IRC one.

We are now tracking tasks and many docs for the project here:

https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/214/

> Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
> Cheers
> -Gerry
>
>
>
>
>

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Gerry Boland
In reply to this post by Clive Johnston-3
Hey Clive
thanks for the welcome!


On 10/07/17 19:52, Clive Johnston wrote:
> To be honest we could do with a helping hand getting new packages into
> the archive as this is the main "thorn" in our side at this moment in
> time.  Would you mind giving us a shout in #kubuntu-devel when you are
> free to talk?

Yep, I've been told already that getting new packages into the archive
is a sore-point. I'm not a MOTU/core-dev unfortunately, but I know
several to bother.

Is there any existing workflow for you to get packages promoted? Is it
currently a case of poke-this-person-and-wait-and-pray?


> You mentioned you are using KDE on your desktop, is that Kubuntu, KDE
> neon or another distro?

I'm firmly Ubuntu (Zesty still, need to jump onto Artful) - I've
installed kubuntu-desktop and tweaked the hell out of Plasma. It is a
bit Unity-ish! :)


> BTW Where are you in Ireland?  I'm up north in County Fermanagh.  Would
> also like to see the Irish LoCo run a few more events, as it hasn't seen
> much love recently - http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ie/ is that
> something you would be interested in?

I'm based in Dublin ATM. Yeah the Irish LoCo has kinda faded, which is a
pity. I do think Meetups have replaced them, as they're far more
specific - I was a member of the Python Ireland committee, and helped
organise a few events for them. It is a very successful community today.
But I had to leave within a year due to lack of spare time to contribute.

So for the Irish Loco, I'd love to see it rise again. Or even a meetup
group of people passionate about the open source desktop. I'm just
unable to commit to anything right now. Apologies

Thanks
-G


> On 10 July 2017 at 19:13, Gerry Boland <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everyone,
>     I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
>     Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
>     I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
>     moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
>     moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).
>
>     Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
>     desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
>     Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.
>
>     I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
>     can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
>     sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
>     get the right person to help.
>
>     I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
>     sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
>     should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
>     there too!
>
>     To get in touch with me, you can
>     - just email me: [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     - ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on
>     #kubuntu-devel
>
>     Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
>     Slack/Telegram groups, etc?
>
>     Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
>     Cheers
>     -Gerry
>
>
>
>
>     --
>     kubuntu-devel mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
>     <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel>
>
>
>
>


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Valorie Zimmerman
In reply to this post by Gerry Boland
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Gerry Boland
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
> Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
> I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
> moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
> moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).
>
> Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
> desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
> Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.
>
> I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
> can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
> sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
> get the right person to help.
>
> I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
> sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
> should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
> there too!
>
> To get in touch with me, you can
> - just email me: [hidden email]
> - ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on #kubuntu-devel
>
> Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
> Slack/Telegram groups, etc?
>
> Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
> Cheers
> -Gerry

Hey Gerry, lovely to see you here.

We've been working on some technical documentation on the Phabricator
wiki, just to give it a spin. So far, the platform is working for us,
as Ubuntu's wiki has been too flaky to use for awhile. While you are
getting acquainted, you might give it a look and tweek it if you see
something that needs changing, or raise some questions if we've left
things unclear. You'll need a KDE identity (http://identity.kde.org)
to login to Phab.

https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/

See you in IRC!

Valorie

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Gerry Boland
In reply to this post by Rik Mills-2
Hey Rik!
nice to meet you (sorry not to see you at Akademy)


On 10/07/17 20:06, Rik Mills wrote:
> On 10/07/17 19:13, Gerry Boland wrote:
>> Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
>> desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
>> Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.
>
> Welcome home.

Lol yeah, I've used Unity for so long (I firmly subscribe to the
eat-your-own-dogfood philosophy), I expected the transition to be tough.
But once I bent Plasma to my will, I was back to full efficiency in less
than a day. I'm super impressed how easy it has become.


>> I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
>> can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
>> sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
>> get the right person to help.
>
> We certainly will. With no active MOTU or core -dev on our team at the
> moment, we have struggled to get things like new sources into the
> archive, and similar permission based tasks. A clear direct or indirect
> route to 'get things done' is very much appreciated.

Gotcha, this appears to be my main goal for the next while.


>> I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
>> sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
>> should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
>> there too!
>
> Sadly I can't go, but I think at least Valorie Zimmerman and one or 2
> others will be there.

Ok, I intend to corner them over the weekend and find out where the
problems lie, so we can hash out some kind of process.


> We don't use slack (sadly), but the obvious KDE related IRC channels
> might be advisable.
>
> #kde-devel
> #plasma (quite active especially for Monday planning meetings
> #kde-neon (we still have much crossover with them in tools, packaging etc)

I'm joined them all, thanks.


> We are now tracking tasks and many docs for the project here:
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/project/profile/214/

Ok, I need to play around with Phabricator. /me tries to create an account.


>> Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
Thanks very much for the kind welcome!
-G


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Gerry Boland
In reply to this post by Valorie Zimmerman
On 10/07/17 21:35, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Gerry Boland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I need to introduce myself as I'm new to this community: I'm Gerry, from
>> Ireland, and have been an engineer with Canonical for over 5 years now.
>> I started out on the Unity2d desktop at first (Qt4 + QML1), before
>> moving to start the Ubuntu phone project, first on its UI toolkit, then
>> moving to working on Unity8 and Mir (Qt5 & QML2).
>>
>> Now that Unity is no more, I'm happy to say I'm back to using KDE as my
>> desktop again - which I was using long before I joined Canonical. I've
>> Qt deep in my soul at this stage too.
>>
>> I've volunteered to be a helping hand to this community in any way I
>> can. If you need someone inside Canonical to do something for you, from
>> sponsoring packages to bug digging, please contact me and I'll help, or
>> get the right person to help.
>>
>> I'm also Canonical's Point of Contact on KDE's Advisory Board. I'm not
>> sure what that entails yet, but I'm attending Akademy in a few weeks so
>> should to learn what I can do to help. I hope to meet some of you folk
>> there too!
>>
>> To get in touch with me, you can
>> - just email me: [hidden email]
>> - ping me on IRC: "greyback" is my nick, I'll be lurking on #kubuntu-devel
>>
>> Are there other places I should hang out? Other IRC channels,
>> Slack/Telegram groups, etc?
>>
>> Thanks for your attention, and looking forward to helping out!
>> Cheers
>> -Gerry
>
> Hey Gerry, lovely to see you here.
>
> We've been working on some technical documentation on the Phabricator
> wiki, just to give it a spin. So far, the platform is working for us,
> as Ubuntu's wiki has been too flaky to use for awhile. While you are
> getting acquainted, you might give it a look and tweek it if you see
> something that needs changing, or raise some questions if we've left
> things unclear. You'll need a KDE identity (http://identity.kde.org)
> to login to Phab.
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/w/kubuntu/
>
> See you in IRC!
>
> Valorie
>
Hi Valorie,
nice to meet you.

Your information is just what I needed to get started, thank you (wasn't
obvious from the Phab login screen). I'll have a play around, to see
what it can do.

See you on the internets
-G


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

signature.asc (465 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...