Hibernate 18.04

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi

Or maybe more accurately "Resume" after Hibernate

I've Googled (& DuckDuckGo'ed) for an answer that works, all tests of "if
hibernate should work" are positive

I could Hibernate & resume under 16.04 and the dual booted Win7, but didn't as
that screws access from Ubuntu to Win partition (as win cant read Ubuntu...)

Since I upgraded to 18.04 it stopped working, Hibernate does close down but
after re-boot it's just like a clean cold boot

Samsung NP N110 netbook (if that helps)

Re: Hibernate 18.04

Colin Law
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 15:20, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Or maybe more accurately "Resume" after Hibernate
>
> I've Googled (& DuckDuckGo'ed) for an answer that works, all tests of "if
> hibernate should work" are positive
>
> I could Hibernate & resume under 16.04 and the dual booted Win7, but didn't as
> that screws access from Ubuntu to Win partition (as win cant read Ubuntu...)
>
> Since I upgraded to 18.04 it stopped working, Hibernate does close down but
> after re-boot it's just like a clean cold boot

Have you seen this?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2392205

Colin

Re: Hibernate 18.04

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 16:20, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since I upgraded to 18.04 it stopped working, Hibernate does close down but
> after re-boot it's just like a clean cold boot
>
> Samsung NP N110 netbook (if that helps)

You still have a dedicated swap partition that is as big or slightly
bigger than physical RAM, yes?

If you use a swapfile or ZRAM, hibernation will never wake.

Also, as ever, check your firmware is current.

The latest version seems to be from OCT 30,2009  |  ver 07D0

Re: Hibernate 18.04

10 October 2018  at 15:23, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Hibernate 18.04 (at least in part)

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 15:20, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Or maybe more accurately "Resume" after Hibernate
>>
>> I've Googled (& DuckDuckGo'ed) for an answer that works, all tests of "if
>> hibernate should work" are positive
>>
>> I could Hibernate & resume under 16.04 and the dual booted Win7, but didn't as
>> that screws access from Ubuntu to Win partition (as win cant read Ubuntu...)
>>
>> Since I upgraded to 18.04 it stopped working, Hibernate does close down but
>> after re-boot it's just like a clean cold boot
>
>Have you seen this?
>https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2392205

Yes it was one of the Googled & DuckDuckGo'ed results, tried to follow but I
had to skipped the secure boot bit, as it didn´t "seem" to refer to my system,
or is secure boot (now) a prerequisite for hibernation and succsessful resume ?

Re: Hibernate 18.04

10 October 2018  at 17:05, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Hibernate 18.04 (at least in part)

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 16:20, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since I upgraded to 18.04 it stopped working, Hibernate does close down but
>> after re-boot it's just like a clean cold boot
>>
>> Samsung NP N110 netbook (if that helps)
>
>You still have a dedicated swap partition that is as big or slightly
>bigger than physical RAM, yes?

Yes
swapon-s & free both show enough (more) swap space than Ram

>If you use a swapfile or ZRAM, hibernation will never wake.

>Also, as ever, check your firmware is current.

Yes

Re: Hibernate 18.04

Liam Proven
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 20:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> swapon-s & free both show enough (more) swap space than Ram
>
> >If you use a swapfile or ZRAM, hibernation will never wake.
>
> >Also, as ever, check your firmware is current.
>
> Yes

Hmm. :-( That's a sod, then. I am out of ideas. Hope for a kernel
upgrade, or switch to 18.10 when it becomes available. That's all I've
got.

I don't use hibernate much and I'm holding off 18.04 as I don't want
GNOME. Now you have me wondering if my laptop will still wake when I'm
compelled to upgrade...

Re: Hibernate 18.04

ubuntu-users mailing list
11 October 2018  at 11:57, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Hibernate 18.04 (at least in part)

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 20:27, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> swapon-s & free both show enough (more) swap space than Ram
>>
>> >If you use a swapfile or ZRAM, hibernation will never wake.
>>
>> >Also, as ever, check your firmware is current.
>>
>> Yes
>
>Hmm. :-( That's a sod, then. I am out of ideas. Hope for a kernel
>upgrade, or switch to 18.10 when it becomes available. That's all I've
>got.

I may try 18.10 but I sort of like having the LTS

>I don't use hibernate much and I'm holding off 18.04 as I don't want
>GNOME.

I with you there I much prefer Unity to Gnome, but it seems short of keeping
16.04 for another couple of years (or even 14.04 till next spring), there is
not much choice in the long run

>Now you have me wondering if my laptop will still wake when I'm
>compelled to upgrade...

Not tested this on my whole stable of Lappies & Desktops yet

Foot note, I think it is mocking me, I was away from mains power and working on
the problem, and low and begold I had a dialogue come up

"Power Critical, System Will Hibernate"

or simalar wording

Re: Hibernate 18.04

Liam Proven
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 13:23, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I may try 18.10 but I sort of like having the LTS

Me too.

> I with you there I much prefer Unity to Gnome, but it seems short of keeping
> 16.04 for another couple of years (or even 14.04 till next spring), there is
> not much choice in the long run

I agree.

I have been watching some of the 3rd party Unity remixes but nothing
seems to have critical mass.

> Not tested this on my whole stable of Lappies & Desktops yet

Good luck. I hope it's a one-off problem.

> Foot note, I think it is mocking me, I was away from mains power and working on
> the problem, and low and begold I had a dialogue come up
>
> "Power Critical, System Will Hibernate"
>
> or simalar wording

Augh! :-(

FWIW, I had the problem of being unable to hibernate Windows 10 and
then boot Ubuntu.

Win10 has a "fast boot" mode which shuts down _most_ of the userland
and then hibernates. When you reload, it loads the saved running image
and then you log-in afresh.

I disabled this, by some registry tweaking or something, *and* then
disabled Windows's hibernation feature, and now I can shut down
Windows and know that Ubuntu will boot properly next time.

Doesn't help but MS is certainly making it harder for us as time goes by.

"MS <3 Linux" my $RUDE_BODY_PART. It's the same old embrace-and-extend
BS they've always done.

Re: Hibernate 18.04

ubuntu-users mailing list
11 October 2018  at 13:29, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Hibernate 18.04 (at least in part)

>FWIW, I had the problem of being unable to hibernate Windows 10 and
>then boot Ubuntu.

IIRC, there is some "trick" in that your choose a full shutdown from, I think,
right click on Start menu, it makes the Win10 boot take longer, but means you
can still access the Win partition from Ubuntu, without that there was also a
problem with the backup app in ubuntu or maybe it was cloning that failed (I
don't have a 10 here to check)

Re: Hibernate 18.04

Liam Proven
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 13:56, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIRC, there is some "trick" in that your choose a full shutdown from, I think,
> right click on Start menu, it makes the Win10 boot take longer, but means you
> can still access the Win partition from Ubuntu, without that there was also a
> problem with the backup app in ubuntu or maybe it was cloning that failed (I
> don't have a 10 here to check)

That's what I thought... but Win10 is a moving target with a whole new
release roughly every 6 months.

I was repeatedly getting failed Ubuntu boots (gee, thanks, systemd!)
because although I chose "shut down" in Win10, it did this
partial-hibernation thing.

As this article explains, certain updates reset it to "on by default".
Thanks, MICROS~1!

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

So step 1, disable that.

Step 2, disable hibernation totally, and get a few gig of disk space
back into the bargain.

https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2011/07/28/Disable-Windows-hibernation-and-free-up-disk-space.aspx

I doubt it'll help with Ubuntu tho'.