Hiding a specific user from the User Accounts GUI

Hiding a specific user from the User Accounts GUI

Amichai Rotman
Hi All,

I install Ubuntu to computer illiterate people.

During the install I want to create an admin user I can use to manage their computer using SSH.

Sometimes the user logs out and tries to login with my admin users and get frustrated when they do not succeed...

Is there a way to hide my admin user from the user so they won't try to login with it?

The users are aware of this user, of course...

Thanks,

Amichai.

Re: Hiding a specific user from the User Accounts GUI

Ralf Mardorf-2
Hi,

I don't know what display manager is used by default.

https://www.startpage.com/do/search

   lightdm hide account from login screen

First hit:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/92349/how-do-i-hide-a-particular-user-from-the-login-screen

Regarding a German Wiki, my guess seems to be correct
( https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Displaymanager/ ), anyway, just in case.

https://www.startpage.com/do/search

   gdm hide account from login screen

The third hit might not be exactly what you want, but assuming you read
other instructions for GDM, take care that that they are for the
version of GNOME used by Ubuntu:
https://help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/login-userlist-disable.html.en

Regards,
Ralf