Hot spot customization

Wade Smart-2
I was using my friends Kubuntu laptop and when you move your
cursor towards the top of the screen a large terminal drops down.
Hot Corners only has a few uses. After some searching Im not
really finding anything about this type of customization. Anyone
know of any?

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Hot spot customization

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 18:22:11 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>I was using my friends Kubuntu laptop and when you move your
>cursor towards the top of the screen a large terminal drops down.
>Hot Corners only has a few uses. After some searching Im not
>really finding anything about this type of customization. Anyone
>know of any?

IIUC you cannot or do not want to use hot corners for that purpose.

If so, perhgaps a drop-down terminal could be configuared to do that by
a mouse movement, instead of using a keyboard shortcut.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/yakuake
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/tilda
https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/guake

Or assign any terminal to a mouse gesture recognition program and use a
window manager/desktop environment that provides such an animation,
when opening an app.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/easystroke

Re: Hot spot customization

Wade Smart-2
--

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 18:22:11 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>>I was using my friends Kubuntu laptop and when you move your
>>cursor towards the top of the screen a large terminal drops down.
>>Hot Corners only has a few uses. After some searching Im not
>>really finding anything about this type of customization. Anyone
>>know of any?
>
> IIUC you cannot or do not want to use hot corners for that purpose.
>
> If so, perhgaps a drop-down terminal could be configuared to do that by
> a mouse movement, instead of using a keyboard shortcut.
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/yakuake
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/tilda
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/guake
>
> Or assign any terminal to a mouse gesture recognition program and use a
> window manager/desktop environment that provides such an animation,
> when opening an app.
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/artful/easystroke

I finally came across guake and installed it. We'll see how that goes.
Thanks

Dell XPS13, Universal Dock D6000, Displayports are not working

zweiund40
Hi all.

I'm a little bit desperated. A few days ago I got my new dell laptop: A
Dell XPS13 9370 with an Universal Dock D6000. The dock has two
Displayports and one HDMI port. As required, I installed the displaylink
driver before connecting the dock to the laptop. But I've got still
trouble with the video ports. The HDMI port is working. Without
problems. But the two Displayports are dead. No signal on the ports, no
recognition of the operating system. Nothing. I've done some googling,
but nothing helped. Is there anybody who has the same issue? Where you
able to fix it? How?

Best wishes
Thomas

Re: Dell XPS13, Universal Dock D6000, Displayports are not working

Liam Proven
On 7 March 2018 at 20:28, Thomas Oswald <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I solved it by myself. The preinstalled Ubuntu was 16.04 LTS. I had to
> install 17.10. and the appropriate displaylink driver and voila, it is
> working.

Well done! Sorry that we were unable to help.

So, for clarity, the machine _shipped_ with Ubuntu -- but a version
that lacked drivers and even with them didn't support the full
functionality of the hardware?

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Dell XPS13, Universal Dock D6000, Displayports are not working

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 07.03.2018, 19:28 +0000 schrieb Thomas Oswald:
> I solved it by myself. The preinstalled Ubuntu was 16.04 LTS. I had
> to install 17.10. and the appropriate displaylink driver and voila,
> it is working.

you could just have installed linux-generic-hwe-16.04 which is the 4.13
kernel for 16.04 ... that way you would have stayed on the LTS ;)

ciao
        oli

Re: Dell XPS13, Universal Dock D6000, Displayports are not working

zweiund40
Yes, it was shipped with Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS. I unboxed it, updated the
system and followed the enclosed install instructions which stated
"Driver download links: displaylink.com/downloads" and so on. And even
after "successful" (at least without errors) installation of the driver,
it didn't work as inteded. All the USB ports, the ethernet interface and
the HDMI port were functional but the Displayports were not. The Dell
support team was really eager help, but couldn't since they are focussed
on Windows. But ok, to be fair, at last they brought me on the right
track. They suggested they saw it running "out-of-the-box". But there
installation was based on 17.04.

I figured out that this notebook version XPS 13 9370 is really brand
new. It was released end of January. Perhaps this was the problem since
my experience with linux is, hardware support for new components comes
sometimes a little bit later than for Windows.

I gathered a lot of information of which I thought they would be helpful
and asked the question on launchpad.net as well but 've got no answer by
now.
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-certification/+question/665292
I'm now going to close the request.