How can I get past the blank purple screen on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system?

How can I get past the blank purple screen on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system?

マスターズ・イアン
Hi folks

After coming back from a 2 week holiday, I discovered that I couldn't get to my desktop PC's Ubuntu desktop. After entering user and password information, the information is accepted but the screen becomes a blank purple, and the mouse disappears.

What I've tried so far:
1. I can boot into CLI by adding a '3' to the appropriate line in grub.
2. I can log in remotely via ssh.
3. I can get a remote desktop GUI.

What hasn't worked:
4. Adding 'nomodeset' to the linux line in grub. If I do this, my screen goes black after logging in. (I can still SSH in and RDP in.). If I press the return key, I see a white X in the middle of the screen. I can get a shell with Ctrl+Alt+F3.
5. I messed about with recovery mode, but it didn't seem to help.

System is fully updated including new kernels (I now have kernels 5.0.0-27, 5.0.0-25, 5.0.0-23).

My system: Dual boot Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS & Win 7. Ubuntu has ubuntu-drivers-common installed.

I've been using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for a long time, and this has never happened before.

Thanks for any tips or pointers.

Re: How can I get past the blank purple screen on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system?

Little Girl
Hey there,

マスターズ・イアン wrote:

>After coming back from a 2 week holiday, I discovered that I
>couldn't get to my desktop PC's Ubuntu desktop. After entering user
>and password information, the information is accepted but the screen
>becomes a blank purple, and the mouse disappears.

Is this page of any use?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/120096/ubuntu-hangs-at-purple-screen

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: How can I get past the blank purple screen on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system?

マスターズ・イアン
Thanks for the reply.

  > Is this page of any use?
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/120096/ubuntu-hangs-at-purple-screen

There is no fglrx package for v18.

I tried replacing $linuxgfxmode from the 3rd or 4th line down and replace with nomodeset, but that didn't change anything.

I decided not to try anything else on that page as the Ubuntu version referenced was version 11.

ian

Re: How can I get past the blank purple screen on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS system?

マスターズ・イアン
It does appear that it's a problem with the compatibility between a recent version of v18 LTS & the desktop PC's monitor, as I can get a remote desktop on a laptop, but the desktop PC display works with Win 7 (it's a dual boot) and the GUI on that display works until I log in.

It feels like something in a recent update has broken it, but I don't see any outcry on askubuntu.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Any more ideas folk? Escpecially ones to do with recent software updates around the GUI components?