How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Bill Stanley
Hi,

I am having problems accessing photos from my IPhone.  I am using Mint
with the Mate GUI. Here is what I have done.

1. I connected my IPhone to my desktop computer with a USB cable.

2. My desktop shows the IPhone has been mounted.

3. On my IPhone, I entered the password when prompted.

4. On my desktop, The PIx program starts and shows the pictures
directory where the photos (on my desktop computer) should be put.

5. When I press OK, nothing happens.

It looks like the security on the IPhone or maybe Linux (or both) is
interfering with the transfer.  What should I do?

Bill Stanley

Re: How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

I'm running iTunes in a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest for file sharing, but
will migrate to a Windows 10 guest soon. Transferring photos and videos
from my iPads works by the Windows 7 guest without iTunes, by just using
the Windows file manager. Just one time I experienced an issue. The app
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audioshare/id543859300 is useful for all
kinds of files, not just for audio files. It allows to use iTunes' file
sharing, to transfer photos and videos and other files, too. By default
iTunes' file sharing doesn't provide access to photos and videos, as
already mentioned, this needs to be done by the Windows file manager,
but AudioShare provides an indirect way via iTunes' file sharing.

However, some info is available by
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS .

Btw. I did not use it to transfer files, but ifuse allows to access them
(excepted of photos and videos, but probably AudioShare could work
around it):

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2019-May/046437.html

A reply mentioned wifi:

https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2019-May/046438.html

While VirtualBox provides USB3 support, I need to stay with USB2 when
using the Windows 7 guest. Perhaps USB3 works when using a Windows 10
guest.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:05:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>While VirtualBox provides USB3 support, I need to stay with USB2 when
>using the Windows 7 guest. Perhaps USB3 works when using a Windows 10
>guest.

Maybe it doesn't matter at all. Perhaps even the iPad Pro's USB-C port
doesn't support USB3.

"A device with a Type-C connector does not necessarily implement USB
3.1" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

Neither the Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Pro , nor Apple
https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/ provide information regarding
the USB implementation.

On 8/15/19 4:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running iTunes in a VirtualBox Windows 7 guest for file sharing, but
> will migrate to a Windows 10 guest soon. Transferring photos and videos
> from my iPads works by the Windows 7 guest without iTunes, by just using
> the Windows file manager. Just one time I experienced an issue. The app
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/audioshare/id543859300 is useful for all
> kinds of files, not just for audio files. It allows to use iTunes' file
> sharing, to transfer photos and videos and other files, too. By default
> iTunes' file sharing doesn't provide access to photos and videos, as
> already mentioned, this needs to be done by the Windows file manager,
> but AudioShare provides an indirect way via iTunes' file sharing.
>
> However, some info is available by
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS .
>
> Btw. I did not use it to transfer files, but ifuse allows to access them
> (excepted of photos and videos, but probably AudioShare could work
> around it):
>
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2019-May/046437.html
>
> A reply mentioned wifi:
>
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2019-May/046438.html
>
> While VirtualBox provides USB3 support, I need to stay with USB2 when
> using the Windows 7 guest. Perhaps USB3 works when using a Windows 10
> guest.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

WS=> First a disclaimer (that doesn't really change things.) The IPhone
and Linux computer are not actually mine but belong to a friend that
needs technical help.  I am not familiar with any Apple product so I
couldn't help.

 From what I can gather, this works with Windows only.  Can the Apple
app that you gave a link to also download directly to Linux?  If this is
the only way, the computer can dual boot to Windows but this would add
another layer of complexity which we would like to avoid.

On Thu, 2019-08-15 at 19:17 -0400, Bill wrote:
> WS=> First a disclaimer (that doesn't really change things.) The IPhone
> and Linux computer are not actually mine but belong to a friend that
> needs technical help.  I am not familiar with any Apple product so I
> couldn't help.
>
> From what I can gather, this works with Windows only.  Can the Apple
> app that you gave a link to also download directly to Linux?  If this is
> the only way, the computer can dual boot to Windows but this would add
> another layer of complexity which we would like to avoid.

Hi,

on the iDevic open the photo app, select all photos or as I've done for
testing purpose select just one photo. Chose "Save to File" > AudioShare
Files.
Open AudioShare and move the pic/s to the "iTunes File Sharing" folder.
Then continue with Linux:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ideviceinstaller -l | grep -i audioshare
com.kymatica.AudioShare, "131", "AudioShare"
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse --documents com.kymatica.AudioShare ipad/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl ipad/
total 1.7G
drwxr-xr-x 8 rocketmouse rocketmouse  256 Mar 22 20:07  AudioLayer_since_2019-03
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 737K Mar 22 12:25 'AUM Recordings.zip'
drwxr-xr-x 7 rocketmouse rocketmouse  224 Aug  4 00:41  digital_d1
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 2.6M Jun 16 10:44  IMG_3100.HEIC
drwxr-xr-x 2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   64 Mar 22 20:06  Inbox
drwxr-xr-x 4 rocketmouse rocketmouse  128 Aug  5 01:30  laplace
drwxr-xr-x 7 rocketmouse rocketmouse  224 Apr 22 19:20  Lichtecho
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug 11 01:27  monoceros-ohne_audiobus_ohne_expo.wav
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug 10 01:09  monoceros-rid_hi_raw_3.wav
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug 10 13:37 ' - monoceros-roxsyn_1_user_(saved_presets).wav'
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug  7 06:09  monoceros-roxsyn_1.wav
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug 11 00:02 ' - monoceros-roxsyn_2_1024.wav'
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 273M Aug 11 00:46  monoceros_roxsyn_2_übergang.wav
drwxr-xr-x 3 rocketmouse rocketmouse   96 Mar 18 20:17  sample_archive_download_2019-03-18
drwxr-xr-x 6 rocketmouse rocketmouse  192 Mar 17 22:18  sample_archive_downloads_2019-03-17
drwxr-xr-x 8 rocketmouse rocketmouse  256 Mar 22 11:51  samples_freesound_2019-03-20
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cp ipad/IMG_3100.HEIC /tmp/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gimp /tmp/IMG_3100.HEIC

Yes, it works :). I haven't done this before. HEIC seems to be the
default format, so there might be the need to use a script to convert
pics automagically to JPEG or PNG.

However, I'm still using VirtualBox with a Windows 7 guest, IOW I'm
using Windows, but I don't have a Windows install on bare metal, it's
just a guest in a VM running on a Linux host, so a reboot isn't needed.

Note, I've got reasons to not install gvfs, but by default almost all
users have got gvfs running on their installs, so consider to follow the
Arch Wiki:

1. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS#Connecting_to_a_device
2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS#See_also
The second link provides a link to help.ubuntu.com.

The advantage when using a Windows guest in a VM is, that you can make a
backup of each iDevice. I don't use iCloud for good reasons.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

ubuntu-users mailing list
Note, I tested it on an Arch Linux install.

Upstream URL:    https://libimobiledevice.org/

Ubuntu packages: https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ifuse
                 https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/libimobiledevice-utils
                 https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/ideviceinstaller

I did no test with gvfs-afc and gvfs-gphoto2.

Ubuntu package:https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/gvfs-backends

[HOWTO] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

I found out how to directly access iPad photos ;). I don't know why I
was missing this before :D.

Note, I just connected one of my iPads and '$(idevice_id -l)' works,
but there's a problem [1].

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u $(idevice_id -l) ipad/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl ipad/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 rocketmouse rocketmouse  102 Dec 10  2014 AirFair
drwxr-xr-x  6 rocketmouse rocketmouse  204 Aug 15 19:34 Airlock
drwxr-xr-x  5 rocketmouse rocketmouse  306 Dec  9  2018 Books
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Apr 12  2015 CloudAssets
drwxr-xr-x  6 rocketmouse rocketmouse  204 Sep 20  2016 DCIM
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse  136 Aug 16 10:02 Downloads
drwxr-xr-x  7 rocketmouse rocketmouse  238 Apr 12  2015 iTunes_Control
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Apr 12  2015 LoFiCloudAssets
drwxr-xr-x 15 rocketmouse rocketmouse 1.1K Aug 15 19:35 PhotoData
drwxr-xr-x  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse  136 Mar 26  2016 Photos
drwxr-xr-x  3 rocketmouse rocketmouse  102 Sep 18  2016 PhotoStreamsData
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Sep 17  2017 PublicStaging
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse  102 Oct 24  2015 Purchases
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse  170 Mar 26  2016 Radio
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Dec 10  2014 Recordings
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse  102 Sep 17  2017 Safari
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl ipad/DCIM/
100APPLE/ 101APPLE/ 102APPLE/ .MISC/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl ipad/DCIM/102APPLE/
total 2.6M
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 265K Dec 29  2016 IMG_2238.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 254K Dec 29  2016 IMG_2240.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 201K Jan 19  2017 IMG_2250.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 223K Feb 18  2017 IMG_2270.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 242K Feb 18  2017 IMG_2273.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 339K Jul 27  2018 IMG_2630.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 321K Jul 27  2018 IMG_2631.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 421K Sep  9  2018 IMG_2649.PNG
-rw-r--r-- 1 rocketmouse rocketmouse 263K Sep 21  2018 IMG_2658.JPG
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cp ipad/DCIM/102APPLE/IMG_2238.JPG /tmp/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mirage /tmp/IMG_2238.JPG

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 02:21:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>The advantage when using a Windows guest in a VM is, that you can make
>a backup of each iDevice. I don't use iCloud for good reasons.

$ man idevicebackup
$ man idevicebackup2

I wouldn't trust such backups, since iOS updates could make a
difference. Btw. even iDevice backups done with iTunes are no complete
backups. In the past I thought that just purchase meta-data is stored,
but I seem to be mistaken with that. Apps are seemingly stored, but not
all the data of apps is stored. Auria Pro for example does exclude the
data from the backups, but provides very comfortable access to the
data, to backup individually.

In the future I much likely will test 'usbmuxd -f -v', too and write
scripts to automate file transfer between e.g. Linux and iPad DAWs, but
I will stay away from 'idevicebackup*' and continue using iTunes for
this purpose. It's an intuitive decision against 'idevicebackup*', not
based on hard facts.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
An iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5) provides the desired ID, but an iPad Pro 3rd
generation (iOS 12.4) provides an invalid ID.

I will contact upstream soon.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ idevice_id -l
12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341
00008027-0014713A2122002E
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl ipad/
total 0
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u $(idevice_id -l) ipad/
fuse: bad mount point `00008027-0014713A2122002E': No such file or directory
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u $(idevice_id -l | head -1) ipad/
[...]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u $(idevice_id -l | tail -1) ipad/
Invalid device UDID specified, length needs to be 40 characters
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u 00008027-0014713A2122002E ipad/
Invalid device UDID specified, length needs to be 40 characters
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 ipad/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount ipad

Re: [HOWTO] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 10:34:42 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>I will contact upstream soon.

Done: https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice/issues/828

You need to test the Ubuntu packages yourself and as the case may be to
report the bug to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu , but first search
if it already is reported.

I'll wait for a reply from upstream and then might report it via the
proper Arch Linux website/s, too.

Re: [HOWTO] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

ubuntu-users mailing list
FWIW I got it working on Arch Linux building my own
package from git version 1.1.3.r6.ge75d32c-1.

So I suspect that ifuse <= 1.1.3-0.1 for xenial, bionic and cosmic
won't work, but ifuse = 1.1.4~git20181007.3b00243-1 for disco and eoan
should work, too.

IOW it depends on what release of Ubuntu the Mint install is based upon.

[1]
https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice/issues/828#issuecomment-522069226
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63477

[Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Bill Stanley

On 8/16/19 12:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> FWIW I got it working on Arch Linux building my own
> package from git version 1.1.3.r6.ge75d32c-1.
>
> So I suspect that ifuse <= 1.1.3-0.1 for xenial, bionic and cosmic
> won't work, but ifuse = 1.1.4~git20181007.3b00243-1 for disco and eoan
> should work, too.
>
> IOW it depends on what release of Ubuntu the Mint install is based upon.
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice/issues/828#issuecomment-522069226
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63477

WS=> I thank you for your input but  it would be far easier for my
friend to just email the photos from her IPhone to her Linux computer.
The reason for this is that she doesn't even know about the existence of
the command line.  If she started to monkey around, she might mess up
the operating system.  She is not a techie like you.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Stanley

Re: [Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bill wrote:

>WS=> I thank you for your input but  it would be far easier for my
>friend to just email the photos from her IPhone to her Linux
>computer. The reason for this is that she doesn't even know about
>the existence of the command line.  If she started to monkey around,
>she might mess up the operating system.  She is not a techie like
>you.
>
>Thanks for the help.

Email will work, but isn't necessarily private. There are also size
limitations, which could become a problem for her if she ends up
wanting to send large files.

If she uses an iCloud account to log onto her iPad, she can open any
browser on her GNU/Linux machine, visit the https://www.icloud.com/
page, and log in using the iCloud account.

She can then manage all of her data on the iPad directly from that
browser interface, downloading, uploading, creating new files,
deleting files, etc. Everything she does on the iPad or in that
browser interface will happen in real-time in both locations.

Note that she'll need to have her iPad handy each time she does this
because Apple sends a security code to the iPad and asks for it when
you log on via the browser. That's probably configurable, but I like
it, so I haven't checked.

I use this method all the time to transfer information to and from my
iPad. I chose it as the path of least resistance after considering a
couple of options.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:14:08 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>Email will work, but isn't necessarily private. There are also size
>limitations, which could become a problem for her if she ends up
>wanting to send large files.
>
>If she uses an iCloud account to log onto her iPad, she can open any
>browser on her GNU/Linux machine, visit the https://www.icloud.com/
>page, and log in using the iCloud account.

Regarding privacy I've got way more concerns related to iCloud, than
emails. However, sometimes I used emails and the size limitation very
often was an annoying issue.

I most likely will write a script wrapping around the commands I
already mentioned. I'm thinking of a script that does everything
automatically after a click on a launcher, the only pitfall I can
imagine are Ubuntu flavours and derivatives that auto-mount by USB
connected iDevices. However, if auto-mount is disabled and the
packages contain the ID fix, it should be no issue to mount all file
sharing folders, the DCIM (photo) folder and to open a GUI file
manager or a terminal by just a single click on a launcher, after the
iDevice/s are connected. There should be no issue at all for a noob.
However, I noticed that I've got a mix of *.JPG and *.HEIC photos on
my iPad Pro. It should be no big deal to automatically convert all
*.HEIC to JPEG.

A VirtualBox host running a Windows guest should be no issue for a noob,
too, at least as long as an iPhone is used. For my 1 TB iPad Pro
VirtualBox sometimes requires maintenance, since the virtual machine
sometimes runs out of space. This is to complicated for newbies.

Re: [Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>Regarding privacy I've got way more concerns related to iCloud, than
>emails.

It's a website using the https protocol and Apple seems to feel that
it's secure:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Security is relative, of course, since there's always the possibility
that someone is working on breaking through or has already done so,
but that's true of any method of communication.

>However, sometimes I used emails and the size limitation very often
>was an annoying issue.

Agreed. I've got a Box account that I use for my blog files and I
often put non-public stuff up there temporarily to share it with
certain others.

>I most likely will write a script wrapping around the commands I
>already mentioned. I'm thinking of a script that does everything
>automatically after a click on a launcher,

That sounds good and may end up being a good solution for the OP
when you finish it.

>the only pitfall I can imagine are Ubuntu flavours and derivatives
>that auto-mount by USB connected iDevices. However, if auto-mount is
>disabled and the packages contain the ID fix, it should be no issue
>to mount all file sharing folders, the DCIM (photo) folder and to
>open a GUI file manager or a terminal by just a single click on a
>launcher, after the iDevice/s are connected. There should be no
>issue at all for a noob.

It's the pitfalls and howevers that are a problem for newcomers or
inexperienced users.

>However, I noticed that I've got a mix of *.JPG and *.HEIC photos on
>my iPad Pro. It should be no big deal to automatically convert all
>*.HEIC to JPEG.

If that would have to be handled manually on the iPad and not by your
script, it could be difficult for a newcomer or inexperienced user.

>A VirtualBox host running a Windows guest should be no issue for a
>noob, too, at least as long as an iPhone is used. For my 1 TB iPad
>Pro VirtualBox sometimes requires maintenance, since the virtual
>machine sometimes runs out of space. This is to complicated for
>newbies.

I have to admit that I've never used VirtualBox on a phone, but if
it's anything like VirtualBox on my PC, I would say it's definitely
not tor a newcomer or inexperienced user. The process of creating
even a basic new Ubuntu virtual machine requires a bit of interactive
configuration, which could easily discourage or overwhelm someone who
isn't familiar with it.

My method of choice for sharing data between most devices (except for
my iPad) is SFTP. There isn't an SFTP client on the iPad by default,
Apple doesn't offer one of their own, and I didn't feel like taking
the time to wade through the app store to figure out which one (if
any) is reliable, secure, and free. Email had already been eliminated
as insufficient, so I figured iCloud was my next best choice for
communicating with the iPad. I think it would make a quick,
relatively easy solution for the OP.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:05:45 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>I have to admit that I've never used VirtualBox on a phone

That's a misunderstanding. I'm running VirtualBox on the Linux host and
the guest is Windows. This allows to run Ubuntu or Arch Linux and to
use Windows e.g. to run iTunes, without dual-booting.

Re: [Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Little Girl
Hey there,

Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:05:45 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
>>I have to admit that I've never used VirtualBox on a phone
>
>That's a misunderstanding. I'm running VirtualBox on the Linux host
>and the guest is Windows. This allows to run Ubuntu or Arch Linux
>and to use Windows e.g. to run iTunes, without dual-booting.

Ah, okay - whoops. Good to know. Thanks.

I still think VirtualBox would be somewhat challenging for an
inexperienced user, though.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On 8/16/19 3:06 PM, Bill wrote:

> On 8/16/19 12:46 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>> FWIW I got it working on Arch Linux building my own
>> package from git version 1.1.3.r6.ge75d32c-1.
>>
>> So I suspect that ifuse <= 1.1.3-0.1 for xenial, bionic and cosmic
>> won't work, but ifuse = 1.1.4~git20181007.3b00243-1 for disco and eoan
>> should work, too.
>>
>> IOW it depends on what release of Ubuntu the Mint install is based upon.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/libimobiledevice/libimobiledevice/issues/828#issuecomment-522069226
>>
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63477
>>

> WS=> I thank you for your input but  it would be far easier for my
> friend to just email the photos from her IPhone to her Linux
> computer.  The reason for this is that she doesn't even know about the
> existence of the command line.  If she started to monkey around, she
> might mess up the operating system.  She is not a techie like you.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Bill Stanley
>

> WS=>It just occurred to me.  What about a different solution ...

If the photos were transferred by the IPhone to a flash drive. Then the
flash drive would be inserted into the desktop computer where it was put
into the Linux file system.  It seems that the security and size
concerns of the email route might be bypassed, Is this a possible solution?

Best wishes,

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 23:05:44 -0400, Bill wrote:
>If the photos were transferred by the IPhone to a flash drive. Then
>the flash drive would be inserted into the desktop computer where it
>was put into the Linux file system.  It seems that the security and
>size concerns of the email route might be bypassed, Is this a possible
>solution?

I own an iPad 2 and an iPad Pro 3rd generation. Since I use them for
pro-audio real-time productions, I've got adapters to connect an USB
audio interface with 18 audio input channels, 20 audio output channels,
1 MIDI input and 1 MIDI output channel. I also have got a few USB
sticks at hand, but no, I'm not willing to test this. I suspect that
Apple not necessarily allows access to USB sticks via an adapter, most
likely for security reasons, but I don't know. This is a question for
https://support.apple.com/ or at least for https://www.google.com/ (if
other search engines shouldn't provide answers). It might be possible
to do it, but there at least is the need to get an adapter.

However, USB sticks involve the highest possible security risk. I
consider emails send to oneself with known attachments not as a
security risk, neither do I fear iCloud as a security risk. I never
used iCloud regarding privacy concerns.

Re: [Solved ?] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

Robert Heller
At Fri, 16 Aug 2019 22:57:20 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:05:45 -0400, Little Girl wrote:
> >>I have to admit that I've never used VirtualBox on a phone
> >
> >That's a misunderstanding. I'm running VirtualBox on the Linux host
> >and the guest is Windows. This allows to run Ubuntu or Arch Linux
> >and to use Windows e.g. to run iTunes, without dual-booting.
>
> Ah, okay - whoops. Good to know. Thanks.
>
> I still think VirtualBox would be somewhat challenging for an
> inexperienced user, though.

VirtualBox is just plain challenging, inexperienced OR experienced users.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: [script draft] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

yesterday I wrote a primitive script. The good news, there are no issues
with getting access to the photos when using the script.

Manually getting access to the documents of a single app is no issue at
all, but if a script just automatically checks all available listed
apps, it fails due to a "house_arrest" issue. Disconnecting USB,
restarting the computer etc. is not required, manually mounting a single
app still works after this failure [1]. The note how to "get rid of
issues" is quasi null and void.

Both, the iPad 2 and the iPad Pro suffer from the same issue. Btw. the
script allows to connect both iPads, resp. several iDevices at the same
time.

The script is attached. I just noticed that in line 89 there should be
the "2>/dev/null" removed. OTOH it's not really needed to remove it.

Regards,
Ralf

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount Desktop/ipad && rmdir Desktop/ipad/
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ IMNT_VE=1 IMNT_FM=spacefm imnt/imnt

iMount Version 2019-08-17-1
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>

Usage: imnt

Sometimes you need to get rid of issues by
                      =================
disconnecting USB,
shutting down the iDevice,
turning it on again,
connecting USB,
eventually unlocking the iDevice
and confirming that you trust the computer.

Sometimes you also need to restart the Linux computer.

IMNT_SU=sudo # sudo, gksudo etc.
IMNT_VE=1    # verbose 0 or 1
IMNT_FM=spacefm     # file manager

Push 'Enter' to continue.
=========================

Push 'Enter' to confirm.

usbmuxd: active (running) since Sun 2019-08-18 00:54:30 CEST; 13min ago

Please wait.

CPUArchitecture:armv7f
DeviceClass:iPad
ModelNumber:MC770
iOS:9.3.5

UniqueDeviceID:12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341

Please wait.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents ppg.2048 /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/2048_--_ppg.2048
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'ppg.2048' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.jhx.2048undo /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/2048undo_--_com.jhx.2048undo
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'com.jhx.2048undo' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents org.43z.8bitDrum /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/8bitDrum_--_org.43z.8bitDrum
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'org.43z.8bitDrum' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.future-audio.AD-480-pro /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/AD-480-pro_--_com.future-audio.AD-480-pro

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.mradevelopment.A-Delay /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/A-Delay_--_com.mradevelopment.A-Delay

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.adobe.Adobe-Reader /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/Adobe-Reader_--_com.adobe.Adobe-Reader

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.maj9.AllGuitarChords /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/AllGuitarChords_--_com.maj9.AllGuitarChords
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'com.maj9.AllGuitarChords' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.agilepartners.ampkit /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/ampkit_--_com.agilepartners.ampkit
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'com.agilepartners.ampkit' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.moogmusic.animoog /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/animoog_--_com.moogmusic.animoog

[snip]

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.coreengineapps.coresynthhd /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/coresynthhd_--_com.coreengineapps.coresynthhd
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.steinberg.cubasis /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/cubasis_--_com.steinberg.cubasis
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.

[snip]

ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/0000_--_APPLE_PICS_N_VIDS

Push 'Enter' to unmount.
========================

[snip]

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls Desktop/ipad/
Audio  Effects  Instruments  Midi  Mixdown  Projects  Trash

Re: [enhanced script draft] How can I transfer photos from my IPhone to my desktop computer?

the draft for a script now contains a delay to 'emulate' manually
mounting.

It now does faster and more reliable unmounting, by taking a look at the
app directories of the mount points, instead of taking care of the apps
installed on the iDevice.

It contains a few other minor changes, too.

However, the delay doesn't help.

In short, it's possible to automatically provide access to the photos
and videos. This does work!

But to get access to the apps' documents, it's required to manually
mount the apps that provide file sharing, instead of trying to mount a
list of all apps, that contains also apps that don't allow file sharing.

Again, manually mounting e.g. 'com.steinberg.cubasis' works...

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls Desktop/ipad/
Audio  Effects  Instruments  Midi  Mixdown  Projects  Trash
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount Desktop/ipad/ && rmdir Desktop/ipad/

...testing the script with a grotesque long delay...

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ IMNT_VE=1 IMNTDLY=2 imnt2/imnt

iMount Version 2019-08-18-1
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>

Usage: imnt

IMNT_SU=sudo # sudo, gksudo etc.
IMNT_VE=1    # verbose 0 or 1
IMNT_FM=     # file manager
IMNTDLY=2  # delay for mounting, to work around the house_arrest issue

Push 'Enter' to continue.

Push 'Enter' to confirm.

usbmuxd: active (running) since Sun 2019-08-18 12:14:26 CEST; 5min ago

CPUArchitecture:armv7f
DeviceClass:iPad
ModelNumber:MC770
iOS:9.3.5

UniqueDeviceID:12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341

Please wait.

[snip]
######

........ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.agilepartners.ampkit /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/ampkit_--_com.agilepartners.ampkit
ERROR: InstallationLookupFailed
The App 'com.agilepartners.ampkit' is either not present on the device, or the 'UIFileSharingEnabled' key is not set in its Info.plist. Starting with iOS 8.3 this key is mandatory to allow access to an app's Documents folder.

........ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.moogmusic.animoog /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/animoog_--_com.moogmusic.animoog

...is ok for some apps, e.g. 'com.moogmusic.animoog' can be mounted, but this also works without a delay...
###########################################################################################################

[snip]
######

........ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documents com.steinberg.cubasis /tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/cubasis_--_com.steinberg.cubasis
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.

...for other apps, e.g. 'com.steinberg.cubasis' it fails...

[snip] ^C
######

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ date
Sun 18 Aug 2019 12:36:22 PM CEST
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
Failed to start AFC service 'com.apple.mobile.house_arrest' on the device.
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ IMNTDLY=0.1 imnt2/imnt

[snip]
######

...without unmounting and/or waiting a little bit, manually mounting doesn't work, so I run the script again to unmount...
##########################################################################################################################

rmdir: removing directory, '/tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341/0000_--_APPLE_PICS_N_VIDS'
rmdir: removing directory, '/tmp/imnt/12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341'
rmdir: removing directory, '/tmp/imnt'

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ date
Sun 18 Aug 2019 12:43:31 PM CEST
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ mkdir -p Desktop/ipad && ifuse -u 12c6f0748b9d3344303a0b5d775136ac4d4a7341 --documentscom.steinberg.cubasis Desktop/ipad
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl Desktop/ipad/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  5 rocketmouse rocketmouse  170 Feb  8  2019 Audio
drwxr-xr-x 31 rocketmouse rocketmouse 1.1K Feb  8  2019 Effects
drwxr-xr-x  4 rocketmouse rocketmouse  136 Feb  8  2019 Instruments
drwxr-xr-x  6 rocketmouse rocketmouse  204 Feb  8  2019 Midi
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Feb  8  2019 Mixdown
drwxr-xr-x  8 rocketmouse rocketmouse  272 Feb  8  2019 Projects
drwxr-xr-x  2 rocketmouse rocketmouse   68 Feb  8  2019 Trash
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ umount Desktop/ipad/ && rmdir Desktop/ipad/

...right after unmounting everything, manually mounting
'com.steinberg.cubasis' works again, without a shutdown, reset or even
unplugging USB.

Regards,
Ralf