How do I disable hot key combinations

Bret Busby-2
How do I disable what I believe are named hot key combinations?

I am using UbuntuMATE linux 16.04.x, and, I can be typing text into a
form, and then, a half hour or so, of text typed in, suddenly
disappears and the screen hanges to show that something has happened,
and I am not sure what has happened.

I am losing about an hour's typing, each day, because of whatever is
happening, and, I am assuming that it is due to some inadvertent and
unwitting key combination.

The mouse keeps bringing up menu's in web pages, when it is not
supposed to be doing that, but that is another problem.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How do I disable hot key combinations

Little Girl
Hey there,

Bret Busby wrote:

>How do I disable what I believe are named hot key combinations?

Main menu -- System -- Preferences -- Hardware -- Keyboard Shortcuts.

>I am using UbuntuMATE linux 16.04.x, and, I can be typing text into a
>form, and then, a half hour or so, of text typed in, suddenly
>disappears and the screen hanges to show that something has happened,
>and I am not sure what has happened.

I'm not sure that's a keyboard combination since you're also getting
a hanging screen. Is this always happening in the same program or
various programs? Does the hanging screen respond to any input at
all? Does the hanging screen clear up on its own or do you have to do
something to handle it? Does Ctrl + Z bring the text back once the
hanging screen is restored to normal?

>The mouse keeps bringing up menu's in web pages, when it is not
>supposed to be doing that, but that is another problem.

This might be a hardware issue. I'm not sure which brand of mouse you
use, but our Logitech mice typically start doing that when they wear
out. We always keep spare mice around because they always do that and
it comes on rather suddenly, eventually doing it more frequently
followed by continuing to get worse by either clicking too many times
or refusing to click at all. Replacing the mouse always takes care of
it for us, and the mouse behaves just as badly if put onto another
computer, so it's a sure-fire diagnosis. Do you have another mouse you
can test or another computer you can plug that mouse into to see if
the issue goes away when the mouse is replaced or follows the mouse
when it goes elsewhere?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: How do I disable hot key combinations

Colin Law
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 22:57, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I disable what I believe are named hot key combinations?
>
> I am using UbuntuMATE linux 16.04.x, and, I can be typing text into a
> form, and then, a half hour or so, of text typed in, suddenly
> disappears and the screen hanges to show that something has happened,
> and I am not sure what has happened.

What application is the form running in?
I can't think of an application that expects me to type for half an
hour with no option to save along the way.

Colin

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 23:57, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using UbuntuMATE linux 16.04.x, and, I can be typing text into a
> form, and then, a half hour or so, of text typed in, suddenly
> disappears and the screen hanges to show that something has happened,
> and I am not sure what has happened.

These any help?

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/saving-what-you-typed-in-firefox-or-wordpress-locally-to-your-compouter/

Re: How do I disable hot key combinations

Dr Rainer Woitok
Bret,

On Thursday, 2018-10-11 05:55:51 +0800, you wrote:

> I am using UbuntuMATE linux 16.04.x, and, I can be typing text into a
> form, and then, a half hour or so, of text typed in, suddenly
> disappears and the screen hanges to show that something has happened,
> and I am not sure what has happened.

Neither am I.  I don't even know what program you are using.

But I well remember  the sheer panic  in the faces of  plenty of newbies
learning how to use Windows Word.  They wanted to type "Ah" (without the
double quotes),  mistook the  Control key for the  Shift key when typing
the "A" (which marked all the text already typed), then typed "h" (which
replaced the marked text  with a single "h"  in the upper left corner of
the screen), and then yelped.

Not at all sure whether or not that's what happened to you.

Sincerely,
  Rainer