How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Chris Green
A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.

This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.

I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.

How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.

What do I have to do?

--
Chris Green

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Marius Gedminas-2
On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:28:01PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>
> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>
> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>
> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
>
> What do I have to do?
IIRC you have to apt-get purge dnsmasq.

Elaboration: dnsmasq is a tiny package that depends on dnsmasq-base
(which has the dnsmasq server) and installs /etc/init.d/dnsmasq (which
runs the global dnsmasq server).  Now /etc/init.d/dnsmasq is a conffile,
like all files in /etc.  When you remove a package, its conffiles are
left in place -- which means removing the dnsmasq will still keep the
startup script so the global dnsmasq will continue to run.
When you purge a package, its conffiles are removed as well.

This is a bug in the dnsmasq package, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't
found the time to report it.

Marius Gedminas
--
99 little bugs in the code,
99 bugs in the code,

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 05:33:34PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 02:28:01PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> > so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> > installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> > the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> >
> > This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> > on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
> >
> > I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> > uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> > However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
> >
> > How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> > manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> > reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
> >
> > What do I have to do?
>
> IIRC you have to apt-get purge dnsmasq.

I've done that, still no dnsmasq running with network manager.

> Elaboration: dnsmasq is a tiny package that depends on dnsmasq-base
> (which has the dnsmasq server) and installs /etc/init.d/dnsmasq (which
> runs the global dnsmasq server).  Now /etc/init.d/dnsmasq is a conffile,
> like all files in /etc.  When you remove a package, its conffiles are
> left in place -- which means removing the dnsmasq will still keep the
> startup script so the global dnsmasq will continue to run.
> When you purge a package, its conffiles are removed as well.
>
> This is a bug in the dnsmasq package, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't
> found the time to report it.

I have another system which has the default (i.e. original) Network
Manager and dnsmasq setup and there everything works fine.  I have
compared everything I can think of and can see no significant
differences.

In /var/log/syslog on the non-working system there is the line:-

    Jan  5 13:32:10 acer-aspire NetworkManager[778]: <info> DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq

and then *nothing* about dnsmasq at all, no errors or anything.  On the
working system the above message is followed by lots of further
information about dnsmasq.

It certainly *used* to work on this system but I just can't get back to
the original setup.

--
Chris Green

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Tom H-4
On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>
> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>
> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>
> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.

Have "/etc/default/dnsmasq", "/etc/dnsmasq.conf", "/etc/dnsmasq.d/",
and "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq" (and any symlinks to the latter in
"/etc/rcX.d/") been deleted by uninstalling dnsmasq-base?

Not quite what you want:

Why don't you re-install dnsmasq and use it as a forwarding and
caching dns server. You can disable its dhcp-server feature with
"no-dhcp-<something>" (I've forgotten what "<something>" is) in
"/etc/dnsmasq.conf".

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 08:30:19PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
> > so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
> > installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
> > the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> >
> > This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
> > on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
> >
> > I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
> > uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
> > However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
> >
> > How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
> > manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
> > reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
>
> Have "/etc/default/dnsmasq", "/etc/dnsmasq.conf", "/etc/dnsmasq.d/",
> and "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq" (and any symlinks to the latter in
> "/etc/rcX.d/") been deleted by uninstalling dnsmasq-base?

/etc/default/dnsmasq, /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/init.d/dnsmasq are all
gone.

/etc/dnsmasq.d/ still exists but has a single file "network-manager" in
it which I think is as it should be for the default setup.  It's like
that on the similar system I have where the dnsmasq run by network
manager is working OK.

> Not quite what you want:
>
> Why don't you re-install dnsmasq and use it as a forwarding and
> caching dns server. You can disable its dhcp-server feature with
> "no-dhcp-<something>" (I've forgotten what "<something>" is) in
> "/etc/dnsmasq.conf".

Yes, I could do that, but I'd really like to get back to the default
setup.  I keep my system as standard as I possibly can.

It all actually works OK as it is of course because the DNS is set up
correctly in /etc/resolv.conf by Network Manager (pointing at my new DNS
server on the LAN).

--
Chris Green

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Chris Green
Further information on this problem...

I have *another* system here with a newly installed Ubuntu 12.10 on it
and that *hasn't* got Network Manager's dnsmasq running on it.  Like my
desktop system where dnsmasq isn't running it's a 64-bit system.

The system where dnsmasq is running is a 32-bit system.  I wonder if
there's something in that?

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 08:30:19PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
>>> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN. In addition to
>>> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
>>> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>>>
>>> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
>>> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>>>
>>> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
>>> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>>> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>>>
>>> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
>>> manager as a caching DNS server? I have tried uninstalling and
>>> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
>>
>> Have "/etc/default/dnsmasq", "/etc/dnsmasq.conf", "/etc/dnsmasq.d/",
>> and "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq" (and any symlinks to the latter in
>> "/etc/rcX.d/") been deleted by uninstalling dnsmasq-base?
>>
> /etc/default/dnsmasq, /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/init.d/dnsmasq are all
> gone.
>
> /etc/dnsmasq.d/ still exists but has a single file "network-manager" in
> it which I think is as it should be for the default setup. It's like
> that on the similar system I have where the dnsmasq run by network
> manager is working OK.

Oops, sorry about "/etc/dnsmasq.d/"; I was working without an Ubuntu
install to look at...

>> Not quite what you want:
>>
>> Why don't you re-install dnsmasq and use it as a forwarding and
>> caching dns server. You can disable its dhcp-server feature with
>> "no-dhcp-<something>" (I've forgotten what "<something>" is) in
>> "/etc/dnsmasq.conf".
>>
> Yes, I could do that, but I'd really like to get back to the default
> setup. I keep my system as standard as I possibly can.
>
> It all actually works OK as it is of course because the DNS is set up
> correctly in /etc/resolv.conf by Network Manager (pointing at my new DNS
> server on the LAN).

I installed Ubuntu in a VM (server edition).

I installed NM and commented out eth0 in "/etc/network/interfaces".
"127.0.1.1" was the dns server according to "/etc/resolv.conf" and my
dhcp-supplied dns server was the dns server according to "nm-tool".
There was an empty "/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf"; I wish that that held
the dhcp-supplied dns server and nm-tool reported the local dns server
and not the upstream one...

I installed dnsmasq and commented out "dns=dnsmasq" in
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf". "127.0.0.1" (not
"127.0.1.1" but it doesn't matter; the NM maintainer must've
debianized his/her package) was the local dns server according to
"/etc/resolv.conf" and my dhcp-supplied dns server was the dns server
according to "nm-tool". "/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf" held my
dhcp-supplied dns server.

I purged dnsmasq and the situation returned to the previous
"integrated/builtin" behavior.

Are you sure that you have "dns=dnsmasq" in
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?

What's the output of "ls /etc/dbus-1/system.d/"?

This is the log of the last reboot:

root@dnsmasqtest:~# grep dnsmasq /var/log/syslog
Jan  6 21:26:49 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <info> DNS: loaded
plugin dnsmasq
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <info> DNS: starting dnsmasq...
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <error>
[1357507629.91780] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:390] update(): dnsmasq not
available on the bus, can't update servers.
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <error>
[1357507629.91875] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:392] update(): dnsmasq owner not
found on bus: Could not get owner of name
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq': no such name
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <warn> DNS: plugin
dnsmasq update failed
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: started, version 2.63rc6
cache disabled
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: compile time options: IPv6
GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: DBus support enabled:
connected to system bus
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: warning: no upstream servers
configured
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <warn> dnsmasq
appeared on DBus: :1.9
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: setting upstream servers from DBus
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
root@dnsmasqtest:~#

Amazingly, NM gets the dns servers from "/var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf"
when dnsmasq is installed and "dns=dnsmasq" is commented out in
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"! (I deleted syslog before my
last reboot so I can't post those logs.)

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Further information on this problem...
>
> I have *another* system here with a newly installed Ubuntu 12.10 on it
> and that *hasn't* got Network Manager's dnsmasq running on it. Like my
> desktop system where dnsmasq isn't running it's a 64-bit system.
>
> The system where dnsmasq is running is a 32-bit system. I wonder if
> there's something in that?

I don't think so because my test was with an amd64 VM.

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

Chris Green
On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 04:55:10PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
[snip long list of tests etc.]

> I purged dnsmasq and the situation returned to the previous
> "integrated/builtin" behavior.
>
> Are you sure that you have "dns=dnsmasq" in
> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?

Here's my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf :-

    [main]
    plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
    dns=dnsmasq

    [ifupdown]
    managed=false

> What's the output of "ls /etc/dbus-1/system.d/"?

This:-

    root@chris:/var/log# ls /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
    ConsoleKit.conf                          org.debian.apt.conf
    Mountall.Server.conf                     org.freedesktop.Accounts.conf
    Upstart.conf                             org.freedesktop.ColorManager.conf
    avahi-dbus.conf                          org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.conf
    bluetooth.conf                           org.freedesktop.ModemManager.conf
    com.hp.hplip.conf                        org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.conf
    com.redhat.NewPrinterNotification.conf   org.freedesktop.PackageKit-aptd.conf
    com.redhat.PrinterDriversInstaller.conf  org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.conf
    com.ubuntu.DeviceDriver.conf             org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1.conf
    com.ubuntu.LanguageSelector.conf         org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends.conf
    com.ubuntu.SoftwareCenter.conf           org.freedesktop.UDisks.conf
    com.ubuntu.SoftwareProperties.conf       org.freedesktop.UDisks2.conf
    com.ubuntu.USBCreator.conf               org.freedesktop.UPower.conf
    dnsmasq.conf                             org.freedesktop.colord-sane.conf
    kerneloops.dbus                          org.kde.auth.conf
    nm-avahi-autoipd.conf                    org.kde.kcontrol.k3bsetup.conf
    nm-dhcp-client.conf                      org.kde.kcontrol.kcmremotewidgets.conf
    nm-dispatcher.conf                       org.kubuntu.qaptworker.conf
    nm-pptp-service.conf                     pulseaudio-system.conf
    org.blueman.Mechanism.conf               wpa_supplicant.conf
    org.debian.AptXapianIndex.conf

> This is the log of the last reboot:
>
> root@dnsmasqtest:~# grep dnsmasq /var/log/syslog
> Jan  6 21:26:49 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <info> DNS: loaded
> plugin dnsmasq
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <info> DNS: starting dnsmasq...
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <error>
> [1357507629.91780] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:390] update(): dnsmasq not
> available on the bus, can't update servers.
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <error>
> [1357507629.91875] [nm-dns-dnsmasq.c:392] update(): dnsmasq owner not
> found on bus: Could not get owner of name
> 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.dnsmasq': no such name
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <warn> DNS: plugin
> dnsmasq update failed
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: started, version 2.63rc6
> cache disabled
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: compile time options: IPv6
> GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: DBus support enabled:
> connected to system bus
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: warning: no upstream servers
> configured
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest NetworkManager[672]: <warn> dnsmasq
> appeared on DBus: :1.9
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: setting upstream servers from DBus
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
> root@dnsmasqtest:~#
>
> Amazingly, NM gets the dns servers from "/var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf"
> when dnsmasq is installed and "dns=dnsmasq" is commented out in
> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"! (I deleted syslog before my
> last reboot so I can't post those logs.)

All I get to see in /var/log/syslog (about dnsmasq) is:-

    Jan  9 14:51:03 test NetworkManager[872]: <info> DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq

Network Manager continues to report all sorts of other things happening but not a thing
about dnsmasq.  It's like dnsmasq simply hangs when it's loaded.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 04:55:10PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

>> I purged dnsmasq and the situation returned to the previous
>> "integrated/builtin" behavior.
>>
>> Are you sure that you have "dns=dnsmasq" in
>> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"?
>
>     [main]
>     plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
>     dns=dnsmasq
>
>     [ifupdown]
>     managed=false

OK

> [...]

>> appeared on DBus: :1.9
>> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: setting upstream servers from DBus
>> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
>> Jan  6 21:27:09 dnsmasqtest dnsmasq[902]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
>> root@dnsmasqtest:~#
>>
>> Amazingly, NM gets the dns servers from "/var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf"
>> when dnsmasq is installed and "dns=dnsmasq" is commented out in
>> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf"! (I deleted syslog before my
>> last reboot so I can't post those logs.)
>
> All I get to see in /var/log/syslog (about dnsmasq) is:-
>
>     Jan  9 14:51:03 test NetworkManager[872]: <info> DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq
>
> Network Manager continues to report all sorts of other things happening but not a thing
> about dnsmasq. It's like dnsmasq simply hangs when it's loaded.

No idea what to do next except possibly add the following to
"/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf" and hope that the more
verbose logging'll yield an explanation/solution:

[logging]
level=DEBUG

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 05:31:59PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > All I get to see in /var/log/syslog (about dnsmasq) is:-
> >
> >     Jan  9 14:51:03 test NetworkManager[872]: <info> DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq
> >
> > Network Manager continues to report all sorts of other things happening but not a thing
> > about dnsmasq. It's like dnsmasq simply hangs when it's loaded.
>
> No idea what to do next except possibly add the following to
> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf" and hope that the more
> verbose logging'll yield an explanation/solution:
>
> [logging]
> level=DEBUG

That hasn't added anything (about dnsmasq) to the syslog after the
initial "DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq" as before.

As I said a clean install of ubuntu 12.10 64-bit on another system shows
the same symptoms, nothing at all happens after the "DNS: loaded plugin
dnsmasq".  I'm beginning to think this may be a bug in 12.10 rather than
a configuration problem.

It makes little difference to how the system works anyway as I have a
local caching DNS server on my LAN so DNS is quite fast.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 05:31:59PM -0500, Tom H wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> All I get to see in /var/log/syslog (about dnsmasq) is:-
>>>
>>>     Jan  9 14:51:03 test NetworkManager[872]: <info> DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq
>>>
>>> Network Manager continues to report all sorts of other things happening but not a thing
>>> about dnsmasq. It's like dnsmasq simply hangs when it's loaded.
>>
>> No idea what to do next except possibly add the following to
>> "/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf" and hope that the more
>> verbose logging'll yield an explanation/solution:
>>
>> [logging]
>> level=DEBUG
>>
> That hasn't added anything (about dnsmasq) to the syslog after the
> initial "DNS: loaded plugin dnsmasq" as before.
>
> As I said a clean install of ubuntu 12.10 64-bit on another system shows
> the same symptoms, nothing at all happens after the "DNS: loaded plugin
> dnsmasq".  I'm beginning to think this may be a bug in 12.10 rather than
> a configuration problem.

The amd64 VM that I built was OK so it must be something else.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 05:55:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

I finally found out what the problem was.  You have to remove *everything*
from /etc/network/interfaces except the loopback interface, otherwise
Network Manager assumes a manual configuration and does nothing.

So now my /etc/network/interfaces is:-

    # this file describes the network interfaces available on your system

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

... and everything is working as it should!  :-)

--
Chris Green

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

ping
Thanks and good to know
I feel This is Sth weak in today's open source - excellent soft with poor docs... People have to go thought painful testandfail phases to learn how to use ...

On Jan 5, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A while ago I installed the 'full' dnsmasq package on my desktop machine
>> so that it ran as a the DNS and DHCP server on my LAN.  In addition to
>> installing dnsmasq (and configuring /etc/dnsmasq.conf) I commented out
>> the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>>
>> This setup worked fine for a while but now I want to use another server
>> on my LAN to provide DNS and DHCP.
>>
>> I have removed the dnsmasq package from my desktop machine and have
>> uncommented the dns=dnsmasq line in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
>> However Network Manager *isn't* running dnsmasq as it should.
>>
>> How do I get back to the default setup with dnsmasq being run by Network
>> manager as a caching DNS server?  I have tried uninstalling and
>> reinstalling Network Manager but that doesn't help at all.
>
> Have "/etc/default/dnsmasq", "/etc/dnsmasq.conf", "/etc/dnsmasq.d/",
> and "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq" (and any symlinks to the latter in
> "/etc/rcX.d/") been deleted by uninstalling dnsmasq-base?
>
> Not quite what you want:
>
> Why don't you re-install dnsmasq and use it as a forwarding and
> caching dns server. You can disable its dhcp-server feature with
> "no-dhcp-<something>" (I've forgotten what "<something>" is) in
> "/etc/dnsmasq.conf".

Re: How do I get the default Network Manager plus dnsmasq-base setup back again?

gene heskett-4
On Sunday 13 January 2013 11:17:56 Chris Green did opine:
Message additions Copyright Sunday 13 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 05:55:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> I finally found out what the problem was.  You have to remove
> *everything* from /etc/network/interfaces except the loopback
> interface, otherwise Network Manager assumes a manual configuration and
> does nothing.
>
> So now my /etc/network/interfaces is:-
>
>     # this file describes the network interfaces available on your
> system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> interfaces(5).
>
>     # The loopback network interface
>     auto lo
>     iface lo inet loopback
>
> ... and everything is working as it should!  :-)

This is only valid if you have a working dhcp server on your local network.
That has always seemed to me to be a "single point of failure" for the
whole MaryAnn.

For me, using hosts files, all identical, that name and IP all the machines
on my network, has always been the preferred choice because one of them can
be down without taking the rest of the network down.

So /etc/hosts looks something like this:
-------------------------
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.xx.yy coyote.coyote.den coyote
192.168.xx.yy router.coyote.den router
192.168.xx.yy shop.coyote.den shop
192.168.xx.yy lathe.coyote.den lathe
192.168.xx.yy lappy.coyote.den lappy

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
---------------------------
ipv6 has not yet appeared anyplace I have access to.  Shentel, my cable net
provider, is dragging their feet and I have no clue if the Arris modem even
has that capability.

I also am a huge fan of a router running the real dd-wrt as a gateway
between me & the black hats on the far side of my modem.

But, each machine on the net will need its own identifying
/etc/network/interfaces file, customized for that machine, such as:
------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.xx.yy
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.xx.yy
-----------------------

and it all Just Works(TM), even if only one machine is alive on the whole
network.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Robert Tappen Morris, Jr., got six months in jail for crashing 10% of the
computers that Bill Gates made $100 million crashing last weekend.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:34:41AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 13 January 2013 11:17:56 Chris Green did opine:
> Message additions Copyright Sunday 13 January 2013 by Gene Heskett

> > I finally found out what the problem was.  You have to remove
> > *everything* from /etc/network/interfaces except the loopback
> > interface, otherwise Network Manager assumes a manual configuration and
> > does nothing.
> >
> > So now my /etc/network/interfaces is:-
> >
> >     # this file describes the network interfaces available on your
> > system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> > interfaces(5).
> >
> >     # The loopback network interface
> >     auto lo
> >     iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > ... and everything is working as it should!  :-)
>
> This is only valid if you have a working dhcp server on your local network.

Which is nearly always, for home LANs, the router.  If that dies you're
mostly dead anyway!

> That has always seemed to me to be a "single point of failure" for the
> whole MaryAnn.
>
> For me, using hosts files, all identical, that name and IP all the machines
> on my network, has always been the preferred choice because one of them can
> be down without taking the rest of the network down.

That's true with a DHCP/DNS server, it's only the server being down
that will prevent things working.  It's actually not to difficult to get
things set up so that even if the local DNS server fails things can
continue to work.

> So /etc/hosts looks something like this:
> -------------------------
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.xx.yy coyote.coyote.den coyote
> 192.168.xx.yy router.coyote.den router
> 192.168.xx.yy shop.coyote.den shop
> 192.168.xx.yy lathe.coyote.den lathe
> 192.168.xx.yy lappy.coyote.den lappy

The trouble with this is that every time something on the LAN changes
you have to edit all those files.  With one or two machines it's easy,
with five or six it starts getting tiresome, any more and it's not
really practical.  Here's my current LAN:-

    192.168.1.1      vigor.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.2      revo.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.4      chris.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.6      ben.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.18
    192.168.1.81     C475IP.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.83     SqueezeboxRadio.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.90     backup.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.110    test.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.122    HP6390D4.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.125    acer-aspire.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.147    raspberrypi.zbmc.eu
    192.168.1.148

That's 13 systems, I don't want to have to reconfigure all of them every
time I add or change one.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 05:55:41PM -0500, Tom H wrote:

> I finally found out what the problem was.  You have to remove *everything*
> from /etc/network/interfaces except the loopback interface, otherwise
> Network Manager assumes a manual configuration and does nothing.
>
> So now my /etc/network/interfaces is:-
>
>     # this file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>     # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
>     # The loopback network interface
>     auto lo
>     iface lo inet loopback
>
> ... and everything is working as it should!  :-)

I'm glad that it's working.

I just assumed (!) that only "lo" was set up in "/e/n/i". I even said
that I commented out "eth0" in one of my posts [1] when I was trying
to reproduce your problem.

1. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2013-January/266643.html

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:34:41AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> So /etc/hosts looks something like this:
>> -------------------------
>> 127.0.0.1     localhost
>> 192.168.xx.yy coyote.coyote.den       coyote
>> 192.168.xx.yy router.coyote.den       router
>> 192.168.xx.yy shop.coyote.den         shop
>> 192.168.xx.yy lathe.coyote.den        lathe
>> 192.168.xx.yy lappy.coyote.den        lappy
>
> The trouble with this is that every time something on the LAN changes
> you have to edit all those files.  With one or two machines it's easy,
> with five or six it starts getting tiresome, any more and it's not
> really practical.  Here's my current LAN:-
>
>     192.168.1.1      vigor.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.2      revo.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.4      chris.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.6      ben.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.18
>     192.168.1.81     C475IP.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.83     SqueezeboxRadio.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.90     backup.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.110    test.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.122    HP6390D4.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.125    acer-aspire.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.147    raspberrypi.zbmc.eu
>     192.168.1.148
>
> That's 13 systems, I don't want to have to reconfigure all of them every
> time I add or change one.

You can set up your dhcp server to hand out the same ip address to
each of its clients. You'd then only have to edit "/etc/hosts" and the
dhcp server settings when a NIC's changed.