How do I kill jbd2?

Mark Lawrence
Yes that's right, kill it, before my laptop, myself or both go out of
the window.  Why, my disk has been clattering away for the last 4 hours
and it's getting right up my nose?  My annoyance is mostly due to moving
away from Windows so that the anti-virus wasn't constantly hammering my
disk, instead jbd2 has taken over.  I could understand it if I thought
it had something to do, but it's beyond my extremely limited knowledge
of ubuntu.  Worse is that it will go hours or even days without a peep.
What gives?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Colin Law
On 1 February 2018 at 20:58, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes that's right, kill it, before my laptop, myself or both go out of the window.  Why, my disk has been clattering away for the last 4 hours and it's getting right up my nose?  My annoyance is mostly due to moving away from Windows so that the anti-virus wasn't constantly hammering my disk, instead jbd2 has taken over.  I could understand it if I thought it had something to do, but it's beyond my extremely limited knowledge of ubuntu.  Worse is that it will go hours or even days without a peep. What gives?

Is there anything noteworthy in /var/log/syslog when this happens?  Also worth telling us which release of Ubuntu you are using, and which flavour if it is not the basic one.

Colin

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Mark Lawrence
On 01/02/18 21:17, Colin Law wrote:

> On 1 February 2018 at 20:58, Mark Lawrence
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Yes that's right, kill it, before my laptop, myself or both go out
>     of the window.  Why, my disk has been clattering away for the last 4
>     hours and it's getting right up my nose?  My annoyance is mostly due
>     to moving away from Windows so that the anti-virus wasn't constantly
>     hammering my disk, instead jbd2 has taken over.  I could understand
>     it if I thought it had something to do, but it's beyond my extremely
>     limited knowledge of ubuntu.  Worse is that it will go hours or even
>     days without a peep. What gives?
>
> Is there anything noteworthy in /var/log/syslog when this happens?  Also
> worth telling us which release of Ubuntu you are using, and which
> flavour if it is not the basic one.
>
> Colin

Nothing has been written to /var/log/syslog for the last five minutes,
and I can see gaps between write times of up 10 ten minutes.  Ubuntu 17.10.

The disk is still clattering, that's getting towards five hours.  I
don't understand why an OS should be hammering a disk that's got 95%
free space when I've plenty of spare ram.  I've also read umpteen
reports on this type of issue going back to at least 2011, so it's
hardly a new issue, and something that I've have thought somebody would
have a solution to.

Worse still I can't go back to Windows as it has refused to perform an
update since the end of November, with my latest attempts always failing
with the downloads stuck at 97% :(

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Tony Scott-2
Mark - here's a possible solution

https://askubuntu.com/questions/306626/jbd2-constantly-writing-to-disk

Cheers

--
Tony Scott
https://tonyscott.org.uk

On 1 February 2018 at 21:44, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/02/18 21:17, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 1 February 2018 at 20:58, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Yes that's right, kill it, before my laptop, myself or both go out
>>     of the window.  Why, my disk has been clattering away for the last 4
>>     hours and it's getting right up my nose?  My annoyance is mostly due
>>     to moving away from Windows so that the anti-virus wasn't constantly
>>     hammering my disk, instead jbd2 has taken over.  I could understand
>>     it if I thought it had something to do, but it's beyond my extremely
>>     limited knowledge of ubuntu.  Worse is that it will go hours or even
>>     days without a peep. What gives?
>>
>> Is there anything noteworthy in /var/log/syslog when this happens?  Also
>> worth telling us which release of Ubuntu you are using, and which flavour if
>> it is not the basic one.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Nothing has been written to /var/log/syslog for the last five minutes, and I
> can see gaps between write times of up 10 ten minutes.  Ubuntu 17.10.
>
> The disk is still clattering, that's getting towards five hours.  I don't
> understand why an OS should be hammering a disk that's got 95% free space
> when I've plenty of spare ram.  I've also read umpteen reports on this type
> of issue going back to at least 2011, so it's hardly a new issue, and
> something that I've have thought somebody would have a solution to.
>
> Worse still I can't go back to Windows as it has refused to perform an
> update since the end of November, with my latest attempts always failing
> with the downloads stuck at 97% :(
>

> --
> My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
> what you can do for our language.
>
> Mark Lawrence

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Mark Lawrence
On 01/02/18 21:52, Tony Scott wrote:
> Mark - here's a possible solution
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/306626/jbd2-constantly-writing-to-disk

This has made no difference at all, or do I have to reboot?

> Cheers
>
> --
> Tony Scott
> https://tonyscott.org.uk

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Tony Scott-2
Try rebooting.

If that doesn't work, put jbd2 and ubuntu into Google.

--
Tony Scott
https://tonyscott.org.uk

On 1 February 2018 at 22:00, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/02/18 21:52, Tony Scott wrote:
>>
>> Mark - here's a possible solution
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/306626/jbd2-constantly-writing-to-disk
>

> This has made no difference at all, or do I have to reboot?
>

>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Tony Scott
>> https://tonyscott.org.uk
>>

> --
> My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
> what you can do for our language.
>
> Mark Lawrence

Re: How do I kill jbd2?

Mark Lawrence
On 01/02/18 22:03, Tony Scott wrote:
> Try rebooting.

I have and all is quiet but that has happened before, only for it all to
start up hours or even days later.

> If that doesn't work, put jbd2 and ubuntu into Google.

I have and none of it worked, hence why I asked here hoping to get a
definitive answer.  Consider e.g. using iotop, which often showed that
iotop was doing the most I/O :(