How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

On a couple of computers that were MSWin computers, upon which, I
installed Ubuntu Linux, a while ago, I erroneously (I should have
known better) set them up without home partitions outside the /
partitions.

What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
system, into partitions of their own?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Colin Law
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 21:37, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
> system, into partitions of their own?

Are you sure you need to do that?  There are not as many advantages as
their used to be and there are disadvantages, though some still prefer
to do this.  Why exactly do you feel the need?

Colin

Re: How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Wynona Stacy Lockwood
" What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
system, into partitions of their own? "

Well, once you add disk, it's reasonably straightforward.

1: mount new formatted partition that will be home somewhere you can get to it, like say under /mnt somewhere.
2. Move everything from /home/ into that partition.
3. Add a line to /etc/fstab specifying  that you want that partition mounted at /home/ at boot time.
4. run 'mount -a' to double check that it works.
5. Optionally, reboot to make sure.

--
Wynona Stacy Lockwood
[hidden email]

Re: How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Ken D'Ambrosio

On 2019-01-24 16:46, Wynona Stacy Lockwood wrote:

" What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
system, into partitions of their own? "

Well, once you add disk, it's reasonably straightforward.

Addendum: if following the instructions below, suggest that you be logged in as root, and not simply sudo'd.  Your session could become *very* confused if files are moved out from under it, or mounted on top, etc.

On 25/01/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 21:37, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
>> system, into partitions of their own?
>
> Are you sure you need to do that?  There are not as many advantages as
> their used to be and there are disadvantages, though some still prefer
> to do this.  Why exactly do you feel the need?
>
> Colin

I wan to do it for a number of reasons, including wanting to move or
copy (to use elsewhere) my pine-> alpine data, including my mail
directory hierarchy, from a desktop computer to a "laptop" computer,
and, to ensure that adequate space exists in the home directory, for
both the existing data (the mail directory is about 20GB, apart from
the configuration files), and, for the data to grow; on one of the
laptops, I have only about 12GB of free space in the home directory.

I also believe that it is better and "cleaner", to separate data
directories, such as the home directory, from the operating system -
better for backing up (which we should do, but we do not do enough),
etc.

On 25/01/2019, Ken D'Ambrosio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-01-24 16:46, Wynona Stacy Lockwood wrote:
>
>> " What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on each
>> system, into partitions of their own? "
>>
>> Well, once you add disk, it's reasonably straightforward.
>
> Addendum: if following the instructions below, suggest that you be
> logged in as root, and not simply sudo'd.  Your session could become
> *very* confused if files are moved out from under it, or mounted on top,
> etc.
>
>> 1: mount new formatted partition that will be home somewhere you can get
>> to it, like say under /mnt somewhere.
>> 2. Move everything from /home/ into that partition.
>> 3. Add a line to /etc/fstab specifying  that you want that partition
>> mounted at /home/ at boot time.
>> 4. run 'mount -a' to double check that it works.
>> 5. Optionally, reboot to make sure.
>>
>> --
>> Wynona Stacy Lockwood
>> [hidden email]
>> (847) 579-9753

My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux does not allow for logging in as
root; that superuser actions need to be performed using sudo.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux does not allow for logging in as
root; that superuser actions need to be performed using sudo.

A common misunderstanding. If you sudo to root and set a password, you can then log in as root. so, 'sudo -i' or 'sudo -s' and then 'passwd'.

Re: How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Tom H-4
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/01/2019, Ken D'Ambrosio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2019-01-24 16:46, Wynona Stacy Lockwood wrote:
>>>
>>> " What is the procedure for me to now move the home directories on
>>> each system, into partitions of their own? "
>>>
>>> Well, once you add disk, it's reasonably straightforward.
>>
>> Addendum: if following the instructions below, suggest that you be
>> logged in as root, and not simply sudo'd. Your session could become
>> *very* confused if files are moved out from under it, or mounted on
>> top, etc.
>>
>>> 1: mount new formatted partition that will be home somewhere you can
>>> get to it, like say under /mnt somewhere.
>>> 2. Move everything from /home/ into that partition.
>>> 3. Add a line to /etc/fstab specifying that you want that partition
>>> mounted at /home/ at boot time.
>>> 4. run 'mount -a' to double check that it works.
>>> 5. Optionally, reboot to make sure.
>
> My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux does not allow for logging in as
> root; that superuser actions need to be performed using sudo.

It's best to do all of this while in single-user mode - and therefore
logged in as root, without actually setting a password for root and
therefore enabling root permanently.

Re: How do I move home out of OS partition into a partition of its own

Olivier Nicole-2
Tom H <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Addendum: if following the instructions below, suggest that you be
>>> logged in as root, and not simply sudo'd. Your session could become
>>> *very* confused if files are moved out from under it, or mounted on
>>> top, etc.

>> My understanding is that Ubuntu Linux does not allow for logging in as
>> root; that superuser actions need to be performed using sudo.
>
> It's best to do all of this while in single-user mode - and therefore
> logged in as root, without actually setting a password for root and
> therefore enabling root permanently.

As a supplementary safeguard, you may consider have one "root" account,
that still has its home directory on the boot disk, while your normal
user account has its home directory on the independant disk. Your normal
user account could still be an administrator of course.

That root like account, I usually call it toor (reverse of root) and
it's home directory will be /toor and it will have admin privileges.

I do that because more often than none, my normal account is a network
account and I may need to login while the network is down, or when some
updates need me to be loged in a local account.

Best regards,

Olivier