How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

s_s_shahin
I divided my hard drive into 3 partitions, 1 Ubuntu 16.04, 2 Windoz and
was booting Ubuntu day in and day out no problem until I wanted to try
one of the Windoz.

Now Ubuntu will not boot and the "disk cannot be found".

I know it is there but I need to recover it.

TIA

Suleiman Shahin

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Liam Proven
On 7 February 2017 at 14:26,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know it is there but I need to recover it.


How do you know?

Have you checked with, for example, a bootable USB key or DVD and
looked with Gparted?

We will need to know the details of your disk and partition layouts to
advise anything.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Enrique Villalobos
If your PC boots into Windows and doesn't ask you for an OS you
probably need to reinstall grub.

You can google how or you can try Boot-Repair.

2017-02-07 14:35 GMT+01:00 Liam Proven <[hidden email]>:

> On 7 February 2017 at 14:26,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I know it is there but I need to recover it.
>
>
> How do you know?
>
> Have you checked with, for example, a bootable USB key or DVD and
> looked with Gparted?
>
> We will need to know the details of your disk and partition layouts to
> advise anything.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Talk/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Ralf Mardorf-2


> On 07 Feb 2017, at 15:11, Enrique Villalobos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If your PC boots into Windows and doesn't ask you for an OS you
> probably need to reinstall grub.
>
> You can google how or you can try Boot-Repair.

I didn't follow this thread, but from the above I suspect that there still is a working grub.cfg. I don't know if EFI requires some special steps, but you could simply try to boot an Ubuntu live media and then run something similar to

sudo mount /dev/sdaX
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

To give you an advice what exactly you need to run, please use the live media and run

sudo gparted

take a screenshot or screenshots and post a link to the upload.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by s_s_shahin


> On 07 Feb 2017, at 14:26, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I divided my hard drive into 3 partitions, 1 Ubuntu 16.04, 2 Windoz and
> was booting Ubuntu day in and day out no problem until I wanted to try
> one of the Windoz.

If this should be correct running

sudo mount /dev/sda1
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

likely would fix the issue. But I suspect that Ubuntu is not on sda1, it more likely is on another partition. IOW 1 Ubuntu partition not necessarily is the first partition. However, simply use the live media and run

sudo parted -l

copy and paste the text, so no screenshot is required.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I recover my Ubuntu partition?

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by s_s_shahin


> On 07 Feb 2017, at 14:26, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I divided my hard drive into 3 partitions, 1 Ubuntu 16.04, 2 Windoz and
> was booting Ubuntu day in and day out no problem until I wanted to try
> one of the Windoz.

If this should be correct running

sudo mount /dev/sda1
....................................

Oops, this should read

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

likely would fix the issue. But I suspect that Ubuntu is not on sda1, it more likely is on another partition. IOW 1 Ubuntu partition not necessarily is the first partition. However, simply use the live media and run

sudo parted -l

copy and paste the text, so no screenshot is required.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users