How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I have an Android cellphone that I connect to my UbuntuMATE 18.04
computer via USB tethering, and, use that for accessing the WWW on
that computer.

On my cellphone, I have a number of image files (screenshots) that I
want to transfer to the computer.

Rather than attaching each file to a gmail email message composed on
the cellphone, and, sending a copy of the file, for downloading to the
computer, how do I direcly transfer the files?

I have searched using google, and, the closest that I found to an
answer, states that, upon connecting an Android cellphone to a
computer, via USB, a window automatically pops up on the cellphone,
with an option for MTP file transfer.  This does not happen with my
cellphone.

The cellphone does not show as a storage device in the caja file
manager, for cut/copy and paste file transfers.

So, how do I transfer files from my cellphone to my computer, when the
cellphone is connected to the computer via USB?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Gary J. Kirkpatrick

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Try the pull down menu on your phone.  On mine, which is 5x android, this shows a menu for transfer.

garyk

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Colin Law
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 11:42, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try the pull down menu on your phone.  On mine, which is 5x android, this shows a menu for transfer.

@Gary, Is yours connected for USB tethering (where the phone works as
the internet connection for the PC), or just plugged in to the PC usb
port?

Colin

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Volker Wysk
Am Samstag, den 10.08.2019, 18:14 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:

> Hello.
>
> I have an Android cellphone that I connect to my UbuntuMATE 18.04
> computer via USB tethering, and, use that for accessing the WWW on
> that computer.
>
> On my cellphone, I have a number of image files (screenshots) that I
> want to transfer to the computer.
>
> Rather than attaching each file to a gmail email message composed on
> the cellphone, and, sending a copy of the file, for downloading to
> the
> computer, how do I direcly transfer the files?

I use the SSHDroid app (an SSH server) on the phone, and transfer files
with the sftp protocol. That is, over WLAN.

You only need to install and start SSHDroid. Then you can use the text-
mode "sftp" client. Or you use a file manager, which supports sftp,
such as the KDE program "konqueror" or the Gnome file manager.

> I have searched using google, and, the closest that I found to an
> answer, states that, upon connecting an Android cellphone to a
> computer, via USB, a window automatically pops up on the cellphone,
> with an option for MTP file transfer.  This does not happen with my
> cellphone.

MTP isn't supported by Linux.

> The cellphone does not show as a storage device in the caja file
> manager, for cut/copy and paste file transfers.
>
> So, how do I transfer files from my cellphone to my computer, when
> the
> cellphone is connected to the computer via USB?

It works with WLAN.

Bye
Volker

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 18:14 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> I have an Android cellphone that I connect to my UbuntuMATE 18.04
> computer via USB tethering, and, use that for accessing the WWW on
> that computer.
>
> On my cellphone, I have a number of image files (screenshots) that I
> want to transfer to the computer.
>
> Rather than attaching each file to a gmail email message composed on
> the cellphone, and, sending a copy of the file, for downloading to
> the computer, how do I direcly transfer the files?

Hey Bret

The phone can be different USB devices - it can be a modem or a memory
stick, a "media device" (MTP) or a camera (PTP). Some phone can be even
more things. Generally you can choose in Settings what you want the
connected phone to be; the commonest default is for it to be a memory
stick.

If you use the phone as a modem (USB tethering), you can't
simultaneously use it as any other USB device (except that it might be
able to charge at the same time).

So provided you can do without the Internet for a bit, go into Settings
and turn off the USB tethering. The phone will typically revert to
being a memory stick by default. It might give you other options, like
MTP and PTP, just leave them be. Mine works fine for USB file transfer
with "MTP" selected.

Depending on your Linux setup, when you turn off tethering the phone
should show up just as if you had plugged in a USB memory stick. If it
doesn't, try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable. Or do whatever
you usually do to mount and use the contents of a USB memory stick.

When you are done, turn tethering back on to get back to the Internet.

Regards, K.

PS: Just for fun, try plugging USB devices into the phone - most
Android phones will happily recognise mice, keyboards, USB memory
sticks and so on. You might need an adapter as most phones have USB-C
or micro-USB rather than the USB-A on most PC devices.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75

On 10/08/2019, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 18:14 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> I have an Android cellphone that I connect to my UbuntuMATE 18.04
>> computer via USB tethering, and, use that for accessing the WWW on
>> that computer.
>>
>> On my cellphone, I have a number of image files (screenshots) that I
>> want to transfer to the computer.
>>
>> Rather than attaching each file to a gmail email message composed on
>> the cellphone, and, sending a copy of the file, for downloading to
>> the computer, how do I direcly transfer the files?
>
> Hey Bret
>
> The phone can be different USB devices - it can be a modem or a memory
> stick, a "media device" (MTP) or a camera (PTP). Some phone can be even
> more things. Generally you can choose in Settings what you want the
> connected phone to be; the commonest default is for it to be a memory
> stick.
>
> If you use the phone as a modem (USB tethering), you can't
> simultaneously use it as any other USB device (except that it might be
> able to charge at the same time).
>
> So provided you can do without the Internet for a bit, go into Settings
> and turn off the USB tethering. The phone will typically revert to
> being a memory stick by default. It might give you other options, like
> MTP and PTP, just leave them be. Mine works fine for USB file transfer
> with "MTP" selected.
>
> Depending on your Linux setup, when you turn off tethering the phone
> should show up just as if you had plugged in a USB memory stick. If it
> doesn't, try unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable. Or do whatever
> you usually do to mount and use the contents of a USB memory stick.
>
> When you are done, turn tethering back on to get back to the Internet.
>
> Regards, K.
>
> PS: Just for fun, try plugging USB devices into the phone - most
> Android phones will happily recognise mice, keyboards, USB memory
> sticks and so on. You might need an adapter as most phones have USB-C
> or micro-USB rather than the USB-A on most PC devices.

> Karl Auer ([hidden email])
> http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
> http://twitter.com/kauer389
>
> GPG fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D
> Old fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75

Hello.

Thank you for that.

I should probably have initially stated that the cellphone is a
Motorola g6 Play, running Android v9.

Using the above, as a guide, below is the procedure that I followed (I
hope that it is portrayed sufficiently clearly)

First, I switched off the USB tethering. Then, ...

"Settings" ->
"Connected devices" -> "USB" selected (under heading "Currently connected")
"USB preferences" ->
"Use USB for"
("No data transfer" checked by default; unchecked, then
"File transfer" checked)

And the caja file manager then automatically opened a new window for
the cellphone file directory hierarchy, as if I had inserted a USB
thumb drive (which, I assume, was emulated), and I then went to the
particular images directory (Screenshots), and cut and pasted the
files that I wanted transferred, and the transfer was pretty much
instantaneous.

I then stepped back through the procedure, reverting to the previous settings.

I have set this out here, to both show that the problem is solved,
and, included the steps, in case someone else, with the same Android
version, wants to know how to do this.

Thank you for your help.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 1:08 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 11:42, Gary J. Kirkpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try the pull down menu on your phone.  On mine, which is 5x android, this shows a menu for transfer.

@Gary, Is yours connected for USB tethering (where the phone works as
the internet connection for the PC), or just plugged in to the PC usb
port?

Colin

--

Not tethered.

garyk

[solved] Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

It's easier to find with the pointer "solved" in the subject.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Syafril Hermansyah
On 10/08/19 17.14, Bret Busby ([hidden email]) wrote:
> So, how do I transfer files from my cellphone to my computer, when the
> cellphone is connected to the computer via USB?

I use to use Telegram app to transfer between ubuntu and cellphone.

https://desktop.telegram.org/

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-telegram-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

https://aikchunwrites.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/chat-with-yourself/

--
syafril
-------

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Peter Flynn
On 10/08/2019 11:14, Bret Busby wrote:
> On my cellphone, I have a number of image files (screenshots) that I
> want to transfer to the computer.

1. Install AndFTP on your phone and openssh-server on your computer

2. Make sure both cellphone and computer are on the same network (ie
both on your house wifi, for example)

3. Find out the local IP address of your computer (eg 192.168.1.42)

4. Add that as a server in the AndFTP config

Now when you want to transfer files:

1. Open your image browser on the phone (eg Gallery)

2. Select the image[s]

3. Click Share

4. Select AndFTP

5. Select the icon for your computer.

Done.

If your house router doesn't allocate the same IP address to your laptop
each time it boots, go into the router config and add it as a fixed IP
address.

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Eliza

在 2019/8/10 18:14, Bret Busby 写道:
> Rather than attaching each file to a gmail email message composed on
> the cellphone, and, sending a copy of the file, for downloading to the
> computer, how do I direcly transfer the files?

Can you use net drive such as google drive/onedrive as Intermediate medium?

I have g suite drive installed on windows/macos/ios, the files keep
synced among these devices.

regards.

Re: How do I transfer files from Android cellphone

Jay Vollmer
Dropbox

在 2019/8/10 18:14, Bret Busby 写道: