How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Jim Byrnes-4
I have a system that has 3 hard drives. Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04 &
Windows 7. Haven't used Win 7 for a long time, but now I have a sudden
need to do so.

When I booted win 7 it installed updates and failed on SP 1. Googling
says a possible cause is SP 1 can't deal with grub. A suggested solution
was to unplug the linux drives and boot with just windows present. When
I try that I get the message: BOOTMGR is missing.

All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install disk
to fix it, I didn't get one when I bought this system many years ago.
What do I need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives containing
Ubuntu present?

Thanks,  Jim

Re: How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Karl Auer
On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 19:51 -0500, Jim wrote:
> What do I need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives
> containing Ubuntu present?

I can't help with booting Windows, but if all you need is the data off
the disk, you should be able to mount it manually. If it's eg /dev/sdc
and the data partition is /dev/sdc1 you could probably mount it thusly:

   sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

... and find everything under /mnt

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A
Old fingerprint: E00D 64ED 9C6A 8605 21E0 0ED0 EE64 2BEE CBCB C38B

On 04/05/2017 08:13 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 19:51 -0500, Jim wrote:
>> What do I need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives
>> containing Ubuntu present?
>
> I can't help with booting Windows, but if all you need is the data off
> the disk, you should be able to mount it manually. If it's eg /dev/sdc
> and the data partition is /dev/sdc1 you could probably mount it thusly:
>
>    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
>
> ... and find everything under /mnt
>
> Regards, K.

There is no data on it that I need. I need to be able to install and use
a program on it. If I cannot get it to boot by itself and finish
installing SP 1, I will put the Ubuntu drives back in and boot that way.
That probably means I won't be able to install SP 1. The way things have
been going lately it's likely the program will not install without SP1.
Of course I don't know that for sure but I am going to keep it as my
last option.

On 6 April 2017 at 02:51, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install disk to
> fix it, I didn't get one when I bought this system many years ago. What do I
> need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives containing Ubuntu
> present?

You can download a Win7 ISO direct from Microsoft. You do need a key
to do it, though. Do you have the sticker with the product key?

If so, get that, download the ISO and burn it using Linux. Then use
that disk to fix Windows.

Xen

Jim schreef op 06-04-2017 2:51:

> I have a system that has 3 hard drives. Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 14.04 &
> Windows 7. Haven't used Win 7 for a long time, but now I have a sudden
> need to do so.
>
> When I booted win 7 it installed updates and failed on SP 1. Googling
> says a possible cause is SP 1 can't deal with grub. A suggested
> solution was to unplug the linux drives and boot with just windows
> present. When I try that I get the message: BOOTMGR is missing.
>
> All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install disk
> to fix it, I didn't get one when I bought this system many years ago.
> What do I need to do to get win 7 to boot without the drives
> containing Ubuntu present?

It seems like the Windows boot system was put on a Linux drive, or it
just gets confused about the order of harddrives when you remove the
Linux drive.

You do need a bootable DVD or something of the sort to fix it.

What Liam says, you can download directly from microsoft but you need a
"serial" key for it nowadays that is a "retail" key. If you don't have a
retail serial they won't allow you to download, which is a bit... sucky.

Rather, I hope no one minds that I share this easy to find mirror (that
I just googled):

http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

To be able to install anyone of the downloads you find there, you still
need a serial from Microsoft, so this is no blanket way to install
something illegal, but you do get the bootable DVD.

I believe that as of late you need a torrent client to download
anything, they are no longer direct downloads.

Preferably you will boot the Windows system with no other disk present,
with the DVD, then in the DVD menu you press shift-F10.

Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd

Then you cross your fingers and pray to god or whatever diety of your
liking you may have, that it will find your OS.

However, this will overwrite GRUB if Grub is on that disk.

You may need to put this windows disk at that point in time to be the
BIOS first boot device.

Then hopefully it can fix the boot for Windows with only that disk
present.

If you then re-add the other disks and make them a priority in the boot
order, you will get Grub again. Hopefully.

In order to ensure that you will always be able to boot Linux, it is
better to install Grub first on another disk as well: such as a USB
stick:

If your usb stick is /dev/sdf (for example:)

# grub-install /dev/sdf

And that should be enough to be able to boot back into the Grub that is
sitting on your Linux disks using that USB stick and boot your Linux
that way.

Regards.

Xen

Xen schreef op 06-04-2017 9:36:

> Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd

Mistake, bootrec /fixmbr

will overwrite Grub (if it's there) with a fresh Microsoft-compatible
MBR

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 09:21 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 6 April 2017 at 02:51, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install
> > disk to fix it
>
> You can download a Win7 ISO direct from Microsoft. You do need a key
> to do it, though. Do you have the sticker with the product key?

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that you can install and use Windows7 without
a key, at least for a while - a month I think. Unless you can't even
download it without a key, which I somehow doubt.

Secondly, if the installed copy was licensed, it should be possible to
extract the key from that licenced copy, even without booting the
operating system. This is one possibly helpful link, Google will have
many more:

https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-offic
e-product-keys/

Thirdly, if all you want to do is run one program, don't bother about
installing or re-installing on a hard disk, install it in a virtual,
install and run the program you need, and throw the whole thing away
when you are done. This has the happy benefit of not requiring an
actual disk - you can mount the ISO directly for e.g. VirtualBox.

Fourthly, if you want Windows7 on an ongoing basis, combine recovering
the key with installing a virtual. You can even install the virtual on
your now-spare disk :-)

Regards, K.

PS: Silly question I know, but did the Windows7 you have come with the
computer? The licence key may be on a sticker somewhere. And if the
digits of the key have worn off, as they often do, sometimes the
barcode is still readable.

On 04/06/2017 04:47 AM, Karl Auer wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 09:21 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 6 April 2017 at 02:51, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> All the solutions I have found require that I use a Win 7 install
>>> disk to fix it
>>
>> You can download a Win7 ISO direct from Microsoft. You do need a key
>> to do it, though. Do you have the sticker with the product key?
>
> Firstly, I'm pretty sure that you can install and use Windows7 without
> a key, at least for a while - a month I think. Unless you can't even
> download it without a key, which I somehow doubt.
>
> Secondly, if the installed copy was licensed, it should be possible to
> extract the key from that licenced copy, even without booting the
> operating system. This is one possibly helpful link, Google will have
> many more:
>
> https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-offic
> e-product-keys/
>
> Thirdly, if all you want to do is run one program, don't bother about
> installing or re-installing on a hard disk, install it in a virtual,
> install and run the program you need, and throw the whole thing away
> when you are done. This has the happy benefit of not requiring an
> actual disk - you can mount the ISO directly for e.g. VirtualBox.
>
> Fourthly, if you want Windows7 on an ongoing basis, combine recovering
> the key with installing a virtual. You can even install the virtual on
> your now-spare disk :-)

It's a tax prep program so I want to keep it around.

> Regards, K.
>
> PS: Silly question I know, but did the Windows7 you have come with the
> computer? The licence key may be on a sticker somewhere. And if the
> digits of the key have worn off, as they often do, sometimes the
> barcode is still readable.

Not silly at all.  Hadn't used this machine for a while. It was sitting
in a corner. Looked at the side facing away from me and there was the
serial number. All these years I have had it never realized it was
there. So a big thank you for pointing that out to me.

Now I can get the iso you, Liam and Xen have recommended.

Thanks all,  Jim

On 04/06/2017 02:18 PM, Jim wrote:

> On 04/06/2017 04:47 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
>>>
>>> You can download a Win7 ISO direct from Microsoft. You do need a key
>>> to do it, though. Do you have the sticker with the product key?
>>
>> Firstly, I'm pretty sure that you can install and use Windows7 without
>> a key, at least for a while - a month I think. Unless you can't even
>> download it without a key, which I somehow doubt.
>>
>> Secondly, if the installed copy was licensed, it should be possible to
>> extract the key from that licenced copy, even without booting the
>> operating system. This is one possibly helpful link, Google will have
>> many more:
>>
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-offic
>> e-product-keys/
>>
>> Thirdly, if all you want to do is run one program, don't bother about
>> installing or re-installing on a hard disk, install it in a virtual,
>> install and run the program you need, and throw the whole thing away
>> when you are done. This has the happy benefit of not requiring an
>> actual disk - you can mount the ISO directly for e.g. VirtualBox.
>>
>> Fourthly, if you want Windows7 on an ongoing basis, combine recovering
>> the key with installing a virtual. You can even install the virtual on
>> your now-spare disk :-)
>
> It's a tax prep program so I want to keep it around.
>
>> Regards, K.
>>
>> PS: Silly question I know, but did the Windows7 you have come with the
>> computer? The licence key may be on a sticker somewhere. And if the
>> digits of the key have worn off, as they often do, sometimes the
>> barcode is still readable.
>>

> Not silly at all.  Hadn't used this machine for a while. It was sitting
> in a corner. Looked at the side facing away from me and there was the
> serial number. All these years I have had it never realized it was
> there. So a big thank you for pointing that out to me.
>
> Now I can get the iso you, Liam and Xen have recommended.
>
> Thanks all,  Jim

Spoke to soon, the nightmare continues. After entering my product key
the Microsoft site tells me it is oem so I must get from the mfg. HP
will charge me $30 and send me one.  Great customer service.

Xen gave me this url: http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

It's a torrent site, never used a torrent before.  Clicked the iso file,
Transmission opened, I selected the iso, then clicked start torrent, but
nothing happened. What am I missing?

Regards,  Jim

Xen

Jim schreef op 06-04-2017 21:55:

> Spoke to soon, the nightmare continues. After entering my product key
> the Microsoft site tells me it is oem so I must get from the mfg. HP
> will charge me $30 and send me one.  Great customer service.

Well I told you. Only retail keys work. One that comes with your
computer is not retail.

> Xen gave me this url: http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>
> It's a torrent site, never used a torrent before.  Clicked the iso
> file, Transmission opened, I selected the iso, then clicked start
> torrent, but nothing happened. What am I missing?

If you entered a download location for it it should start; however
torrents are dependent on the availability of seeds; so if there is no
seeder you would be out of luck.

Typically if there are seeders you would see it connecting and a
download speed starting to emerge. So if you selected a save location it
should start automatically after clicking okay.

I could give you a private download link to a Windows 7 ISO by private
email but I am pretty sure it is a Dutch language ISO, not that it would
make a difference for this; or a Windows 8 by private email link that
would be English, because I am sure it doesn't matter if you'd use a
Windows 8 DVD for it.

If there are really no seeders you could try another ISO to see if there
are any seeders there.

Regards.

On 04/06/2017 02:42 AM, Xen wrote:
> Xen schreef op 06-04-2017 9:36:
>
>> Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd
>
> Mistake, bootrec /fixmbr
>
> will overwrite Grub (if it's there) with a fresh Microsoft-compatible MBR

Update: Just discovered Boot Repair -
http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

I burnt the cd and put in the Win 7 and once it loaded I selected the
Restore MBR option. It fixed the MBR problem and was able to boot Win 7
and finish installing SP1.

So if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation this works.
One thing to mention it takes a while for it to load and become
functional. There is not a lot of info on the screen about it's progress
so just be patient.

Regards,  Jim

Re: How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Joel Rees
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> Rather, I hope no one minds that I share this easy to find mirror (that I
> just googled):
>
> http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

Mind or otherwise, can you vouch for the images there? Or is there
some way to check against a known-valid cryptographic checksum?

I personally would rather pay for a copy of MSWindows Home than
download an image from a non-Microsoft site, but maybe that's just me.
(And I hate to recommend paying extra Microsoft tax, but a system
installer is just too easy to hid the really bad kinds of malware on.)

If the OP's original drive that contains MSWindows 7 is still as it
was when he bought it, there's probably a recovery partition.

So he actually should be  thinking in terms of restoring a Microsoft
MBR on that drive, after copying off the MBR that grub seems to have
overwritten it with.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html
More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Re: How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Joel Rees
Don't wanna sound paranoid and critical, but, ...

no, actually, I do want to sound paranoid ...

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/06/2017 02:42 AM, Xen wrote:
>>
>> Xen schreef op 06-04-2017 9:36:
>>
>>> Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd
>>

>> Mistake, bootrec /fixmbr
>>
>> will overwrite Grub (if it's there) with a fresh Microsoft-compatible MBR
>>

> Update: Just discovered Boot Repair -
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

This is a better option than a clearly illegal MSWindows ISO.

I'm sure yannubuntu means well. But restoring an MBR on a MSWindows
7-era machine is an understandable process if you can understand how
grub works.

Maintaining a machine's security is important enough that you should
take the time to understand the boot process. Especially if it's tax
software that you want the machine for.

Then, I'd be looking for a freedom-free alternative to the tax
software, and complaining to the taxing agency if there weren't any
available.

> I burnt the cd and put in the Win 7 and once it loaded I selected the
> Restore MBR option. It fixed the MBR problem and was able to boot Win 7 and
> finish installing SP1.
>
> So if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation this works. One
> thing to mention it takes a while for it to load and become functional.
> There is not a lot of info on the screen about it's progress so just be
> patient.
>
> Regards,  Jim

A certain amount of paranoia is healthy.

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 22:35 +0200, Xen wrote:
> Well I told you. Only retail keys work. One that comes with your
> computer is not retail.

Except when it does work. Or maybe it's a Win7 thing. I extracted my
Win10 OEM key and used it to spin up a virtual, no problems with
activation at all.

On 04/06/2017 06:05 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Rather, I hope no one minds that I share this easy to find mirror (that I
>> just googled):
>>
>> http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>

> Mind or otherwise, can you vouch for the images there? Or is there
> some way to check against a known-valid cryptographic checksum?

There were checksums there but I have no idea how valid they are. When I
went there I didn't know it was a torrent site. Having never used a
torrent before I couldn't get it to work.

The only reason I went there in the first place was I tried the normal
channels and was unsuccessful. I paid for my computer with win 7 on it.
As Karl pointed out to me the product code was on a sticker on the side.
I went to MS filled out all the info and was told, oops that's an oem
version you must get it from the vendor. Went to HP and they said oops
that's no longer available for download, but we'll send you one for $30.

> I personally would rather pay for a copy of MSWindows Home than
> download an image from a non-Microsoft site, but maybe that's just me.
> (And I hate to recommend paying extra Microsoft tax, but a system
> installer is just too easy to hid the really bad kinds of malware on.)
>
> If the OP's original drive that contains MSWindows 7 is still as it
> was when he bought it, there's probably a recovery partition.

It does. Maybe I was thinking wrong but I felt I was in a catch 22
situation. Linux/grub was causing the SP not to install, but if I
unplugged the linux drives win 7 would not boot. It just occurred to
that maybe I could have left the linux drives in, booted to win 7, used
the recovery partition and then shut down and removed the linux drives
and tried to boot win 7. None of the googling I did suggested anything
like that.

> So he actually should be  thinking in terms of restoring a Microsoft
> MBR on that drive, after copying off the MBR that grub seems to have
> overwritten it with.

That's what I ended up doing using a Boot Repair cd.

Regards,  Jim

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 04/06/2017 06:05 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> If the OP's original drive that contains MSWindows 7 is still as it
>> was when he bought it, there's probably a recovery partition.
>

> It does. Maybe I was thinking wrong but I felt I was in a catch 22
> situation.

Without knowing about the *nix commands to overwrite the MBR, I guess
you were. If I'd looked at the thread earlier, I'd have pointed them
out to you.

At this point, I'll just suggest you do a web search on the BIOS boot
process, then re-read the grub documentation.

> Linux/grub was causing the SP not to install, but if I unplugged
> the linux drives win 7 would not boot. It just occurred to that maybe I
> could have left the linux drives in, booted to win 7, used the recovery
> partition and then shut down and removed the linux drives and tried to boot
> win 7. None of the googling I did suggested anything like that.

I think that's partly because so many users of MSWindows just want
someone else to hand them a magic solution, and partly because most
users in this situation would be panicked about their data on the
MSWindows drive, not realizing that *nix provides them tools to save
that before they use the recovery options.

>> So he actually should be  thinking in terms of restoring a Microsoft
>> MBR on that drive, after copying off the MBR that grub seems to have
>> overwritten it with.
>>

> That's what I ended up doing using a Boot Repair cd.

And I'll encourage you to go ahead and look up the boot process, for
when you need to do something like this again.

Here's some pages on wikipedia, to get started:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

I don't say I distrust the Boot Repair CD on sourceforge, I just say
that the less people you have to trust to play with your MBRs, the
better.

(If you personally know yannabuntu the developer in charge of the
project, that might alter the equation significantly.)

Xen

Jim schreef op 07-04-2017 0:18:

> On 04/06/2017 02:42 AM, Xen wrote:
>> Xen schreef op 06-04-2017 9:36:
>>
>>> Then you type bootrec /fixmr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec
>>> /rebuildbcd
>>
>> Mistake, bootrec /fixmbr
>>
>> will overwrite Grub (if it's there) with a fresh Microsoft-compatible
>> MBR
>>

> Update: Just discovered Boot Repair -
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
>
> I burnt the cd and put in the Win 7 and once it loaded I selected the
> Restore MBR option. It fixed the MBR problem and was able to boot Win
> 7 and finish installing SP1.

Well that's awesome.

Joel Rees schreef op 07-04-2017 1:05:

>> http://mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
>>

> Mind or otherwise, can you vouch for the images there? Or is there
> some way to check against a known-valid cryptographic checksum?

Probably, but I don't care. They are images coming from a known
Microsoft site (digitalrivercontent.net) before Microsoft took it down.
In other words, once they were legally available, then Microsoft decided
to be a b*tch ;-).

> I personally would rather pay for a copy of MSWindows Home than
> download an image from a non-Microsoft site, but maybe that's just me.

It's a mirror of official Microsoft Images, they have the same names,
numbers etc. as the older (well actually the same) Microsoft images. If
you can find some place to find the original Microsoft checksums, you
could verify.

Joel Rees schreef op 07-04-2017 1:17:

> This is a better option than a clearly illegal MSWindows ISO.

Well it only became 'illegal' after Microsoft pulled the plug on it.

Sure you can pay for a Microsoft copy, then you will verify the checksum
and see they are identical. They you will have paid a lot of money for
restoring the MBR of your system ;-).

Karl Auer schreef op 07-04-2017 2:35:
> On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 22:35 +0200, Xen wrote:
>> Well I told you. Only retail keys work. One that comes with your
>> computer is not retail.
>
> Except when it does work. Or maybe it's a Win7 thing. I extracted my
> Win10 OEM key and used it to spin up a virtual, no problems with
> activation at all.

Yes it will activate. They are just not accepting OEM licenses for the
_download_.

That's all.

It's just Microsoft saying "bitch please".

In 2014 they were still 'legally' available on that Microsoft site. In
2015 Microsoft pulled the plug to it.

The guy above (that was linked, in any case) provided a mirror,
bypassing the Microsoft "You need a retail key" restriction that
prevented OEM customers from getting an ISO that was not supplied by
their retailer (that usually wasn't, I guess).

They are not illegal ISOs. You still need a valid key to install and
activate, most of the time (for activate certainly).

You can also still use these keys to install Windows 7 and then upgraded
to Windows 10 if you so wanted. You will normally get a digital
entitlement license (the Windows 10 install will be bound to your
hardware) while in fact the Windows 7 key becomes available again for
another installation (funny) :p.

But anyway, if you can find a Microsoft checksum, fine. People just
mirrored msft.digitalrivercontent.net before it went down.

If the torrents still work (which I assume they do) there is really no
easy way for a hacker to provide a different file. Well, they can but it
would invalidate all other users also using the older torrent. That
said.

Modified installation DVDs generally do not modify your system prior to
installation. Custom ISOs created using whatever that contain extra
software plant this software (often for good reasons) on your harddisk
upon installation.

There is no way in hell someone would actually go out of their way
changing the actual installer so that it would infect a system without
even installing anything; ie. the installation menu you get, the
shift-F10 action and the bootrec program are the least likely of
anything to be corrupted, if it is a custom spun ISO or would be a
custom spun ISO it would install different stuff, not have a different
installer.

But anyway, they are the unmodified originals from Microsoft.

Joel Rees schreef op 07-04-2017 5:58:

> I don't say I distrust the Boot Repair CD on sourceforge, I just say
> that the less people you have to trust to play with your MBRs, the
> better.

Yup, that's paranoia lol.

Don't know what else to say.

Re: How to boot a win 7 hard drive that was in Ubuntu system?

Ralf Mardorf-2
Now that it's solved, the Microsoft support hopefully is finished.
Please, don't add more comments.

This is one of the three longest threads this month, see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2017-April/date.html .

The other two threads are related to Ubuntu and Linux and about far
more complicated topics, not something that trivial as the Microsoft
issue.

Regards,
Ralf

Xen

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 07-04-2017 17:30:
> Now that it's solved, the Microsoft support hopefully is finished.
> Please, don't add more comments.
>
> This is one of the three longest threads this month, see
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2017-April/date.html .
>
> The other two threads are related to Ubuntu and Linux and about far
> more complicated topics, not something that trivial as the Microsoft
> issue.

But Ralph, wasn't it also about ensuring Grub would not get overwritten?

I guess I was mistaken. Peaceful co-existence is a core value though.

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 17:42:49 +0200, Xen wrote:

>Ralf Mardorf schreef op 07-04-2017 17:30:
>> Now that it's solved, the Microsoft support hopefully is finished.
>> Please, don't add more comments.
>>
>> This is one of the three longest threads this month, see
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2017-April/date.html .
>>
>> The other two threads are related to Ubuntu and Linux and about far
>> more complicated topics, not something that trivial as the Microsoft
>> issue.
>
>But Ralph, wasn't it also about ensuring Grub would not get
>overwritten?
>
>I guess I was mistaken. Peaceful co-existence is a core value though.

I don't complain that subscribers helped regarding this
Bootloader/Microsoft issue, but now that it's solved, more
about Microsoft AGBs, policies and history should be avoided.

If Microsoft does cause that much trouble for multi-boot computers,
than I would either not use Microsoft operating systems at all or use a
good verified, illegal optimized cracked version. If Microsoft behaves
evil, they should expect the users' self-defence. Don't get me wrong, I
don't recommend to use a good verified, illegal optimized cracked
version. I recommend to entirely drop Windows. My multi-boot is Linux
only [1]. If Windows should be required, then I run it in a VM. If
software Linux doesn't provide should be required and a performance a
VM can't provide, e.g. very good virtual real-time synth, I'm using an
iPad connected by ADAT and MIDI with the Linux PC.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
$ cat /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
# http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/menu

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 90
UI menu.c32
MENU HIDDEN
MENU CLEAR
MENU COLOR screen      0;30;40
MENU COLOR border      0;30;40
MENU COLOR title       1;37;44
MENU COLOR unsel       0;37;40
MENU COLOR hotkey      1;37;40
MENU COLOR hotsel      7;37;40
MENU COLOR sel         7;37;40
MENU COLOR disabled    1;37;40
MENU COLOR scrollbar   0;30;40
MENU COLOR tabmsg      0;30;40
MENU COLOR cmdmark     0;31;40
MENU COLOR cmdline     0;37;40
MENU COLOR timeout_msg 0;37;40
MENU COLOR timeout     1;37;40

# Used hotkeys: ^8 ^A ^e ^H ^M ^P ^Q ^R ^t ^V
DEFAULT Pussytoes

MENU TITLE HAL 9000
LABEL Toolbox
    MENU LABEL Toolbox
    MENU DISABLE
MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Hardware
    MENU LABEL ^Hardware Detection
    COM32 hdt.c32

LABEL Memtest
    MENU LABEL Memtest^86+
    LINUX /.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot/memtest86+.bin

LABEL Reset
    MENU LABEL R^eset
    COM32 reboot.c32

MENU SEPARATOR
MENU SEPARATOR
LABEL Arch Menu
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux
    MENU DISABLE
MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Threadirqs
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux ^threadirqs
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
    APPEND root=LABEL=archlinux ro threadirqs
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

LABEL Pussytoes
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux Rt ^Pussytoes
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-rt-pussytoes
    APPEND root=LABEL=archlinux ro
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux-rt-pussytoes.img

LABEL Persianrug
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux Rt Persian ^Rug
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-rt-persianrug
    APPEND root=LABEL=archlinux ro
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux-rt-persianrug.img

LABEL Arch
    MENU LABEL ^Arch Linux
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux
    APPEND root=LABEL=archlinux ro
    INITRD ../initramfs-linux.img

MENU SEPARATOR
MENU SEPARATOR
LABEL Other Menu
    MENU LABEL Other Linux
    MENU DISABLE
MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL Moonstudio
    MENU LABEL Ubuntu X ^Moon Studio lowlatency
    LINUX /.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot/vmlinuz-lowlatency
    APPEND root=LABEL=moonstudio ro
    INITRD /.boot/ubuntu_moonstudio/boot/initrd.img-lowlatency

LABEL Light
    MENU LABEL Ubuntu ^Q LightScribe Rt
    LINUX /.boot/ubuntu_q/boot/vmlinuz-3.6.5-rt14
    APPEND root=LABEL=q ro nomodeset
    INITRD /.boot/ubuntu_q/boot/initrd.img-3.6.5-rt14

LABEL Suse
    MENU LABEL ^Vintage  SUSE 11.2   Rt
    LINUX /.boot/suse11.2/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6-rt19
    APPEND root=LABEL=suse11.2
    INITRD /.boot/suse11.2/boot/initrd-2.6.31.6-rt19