How to configure a -quirk option for suspending when the lid is closed?

How to configure a -quirk option for suspending when the lid is closed?

Adam Funk-4
I did a clean installation of Ubuntu-MATE on a family member's laptop
yesterday, and then we ran into the 'GPU HANG' bug in recent versions
of the i910 video driver.  I fixed that by following the advice here:

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1305989/applications-fail-to-launch-in-ubuntu-20-04-desktop/1307395#1307395>

<https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000123893/manual-nomodeset-kernel-boot-line-option-for-linux-booting?lang=en>

adding the nomodeset kernel option.  Now we've hit the bug described
here:

<https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1996>

so the second time the lid is closed (qto suspend), the system won't
wake up properly.  The solution there is to use the command

sudo pm-suspend --quirk-dpms-on

but that relies on running the command in a terminal from the pm-utils
package.  How can I configure Ubuntu-MATE to use that option to
suspend when the lid is closed?

Thanks!

Re: How to configure a -quirk option for suspending when the lid is closed?

I'm on a PC with i915. I only cared about issues related to my Intel
GPU, however, it's known that intel driver support stopped several years
ago. It just worked without maintenance for a relative long time. IIRC
kernels <= 5.4 still work for most, if not all Intel GPUs, when using
the intel driver. 5.4 is a longterm kernel, however I'm in favour of
the 4.19 longterm kernel, avoiding all kernels >= 5. Some issues,
probably yours, too, might be related to something else.

IIUC regarding
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-intel&searchon=names
the "intel" driver isn't dropped, while the "modestting" driver isn't
available for current Ubuntu releases,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&keywords=xserver-xorg-video-modesetting&searchon=names
.

I'll do test related to the intel issue with my Ventoy Xubuntu 20.04
soon, since my Ubuntu 16.04 is close to EOL. Until now I only made tests
using my Arch Linux install.

I didn't make good experiences when using the "modestting" driver, I
migrated back to the "intel" driver and use 4.19 kernels instead of
latest 5.x kernels.

FWIW first my Arch Linux and second my Ubuntu 16.04 xorg.conf [1]. You
only need the "Device" section to chose a driver, you don't need
anything else, just ensure that there's no "Device" section in
/etc/X11//etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ overriding the xorg.conf's "Device"
section. Install the packages providing "intel" and "modestting", if
available at all ;) and test both drivers. Probably 5.4 kernels,
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/linux-generic , are still safe, but
maybe build and test a kernel 4.19, too.

I'm a little bit confused by "Ubuntu and Debian (and thus other
Debian-based distributions too) have abandoned the xf86-video-intel
X.Org driver for all recent generations of Intel graphics hardware and
instead makes use of the xf86-video-modesetting generic driver in its
place." -
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX

Regarding the hangs I get with Firefox when using my Ventoy Xubuntu
20.04 the "modestting" driver is used, since I experience those hangs
when using this driver on Arch Linux and there are no hangs, when using
the "intel" driver on Arch Linux and Ubuntu 16.04.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI2"
    DisplaySize  526 296
    Option      "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
    Option      "Primary" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "VGA1"
    DisplaySize  367 278
    Modeline    "1024x768" 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806
    Option       "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
    Option       "RightOf" "HDMI2"
EndSection

Section "Device"