How to copy multi-partition installation (MS and Linux) to new disk drive?

How to copy multi-partition installation (MS and Linux) to new disk drive?

Chris Green
I have a new SSD SATA disk drive that I want to use in a laptop.  The
existing drive is a 240Gb spinning hard disk, the new drive is a 480Gb
SSD.

There are several partitions to be copied across plus the boot sectors
etc.  What's the least painful way of doing all this?

If I simply use dd (on another system, the laptop has only one disk
slot) to copy from /dev/<old disk> to /dev/<new disk> would this copy
everything including all the boot code, windows partitions etc.? (I
know I'd have to resize the partitions afterwards).

Are there easier ways to do this?

I have other systems and lots of disk space available so could use
gparted (for example) from a USB stick to copy stuff out and then back
but would this manage all the windows partitions and boot stuff OK?

--
Chris Green

Re: How to copy multi-partition installation (MS and Linux) to new disk drive?

Colin Law
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 16:33, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a new SSD SATA disk drive that I want to use in a laptop.  The
> existing drive is a 240Gb spinning hard disk, the new drive is a 480Gb
> SSD.
>
> There are several partitions to be copied across plus the boot sectors
> etc.  What's the least painful way of doing all this?
>
> If I simply use dd (on another system, the laptop has only one disk
> slot) to copy from /dev/<old disk> to /dev/<new disk> would this copy
> everything including all the boot code, windows partitions etc.? (I
> know I'd have to resize the partitions afterwards).
>
> Are there easier ways to do this?
>
> I have other systems and lots of disk space available so could use
> gparted (for example) from a USB stick to copy stuff out and then back
> but would this manage all the windows partitions and boot stuff OK?

I use Clonezilla for such tasks.

Colin

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 04:52:12PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 16:33, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have a new SSD SATA disk drive that I want to use in a laptop.  The
> > existing drive is a 240Gb spinning hard disk, the new drive is a 480Gb
> > SSD.
> >
> > There are several partitions to be copied across plus the boot sectors
> > etc.  What's the least painful way of doing all this?
> >
> > If I simply use dd (on another system, the laptop has only one disk
> > slot) to copy from /dev/<old disk> to /dev/<new disk> would this copy
> > everything including all the boot code, windows partitions etc.? (I
> > know I'd have to resize the partitions afterwards).
> >
> > Are there easier ways to do this?
> >
> > I have other systems and lots of disk space available so could use
> > gparted (for example) from a USB stick to copy stuff out and then back
> > but would this manage all the windows partitions and boot stuff OK?
>
> I use Clonezilla for such tasks.

How?  :-)

I.e. do you create a bootable Clonezilla USB stick and boot from that
on 'the laptop' or do you install it on another system to which you
connect both the 'old' and the 'new' laptop drives?

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 17:08, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..
> How?  :-)
>
> I.e. do you create a bootable Clonezilla USB stick and boot from that
> on 'the laptop' or do you install it on another system to which you
> connect both the 'old' and the 'new' laptop drives?

Whichever is most convenient.  You could boot off a stick on the
laptop and clone the image as a compressed fileset onto the drive of a
connected machine (via ssh), then install the new disc on the laptop
and use clonezilla to restore from the image onto the new disc.  That
saves having to plug the discs into another machine.  Or you could
plug them into the other machine and run it locally there which might
be quicker as it doesn't have to go across the network.  Clonezilla
only clones used bits of the disc so the amount of time it takes
depends on the amount of data not the partition sizes.

Colin

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 05:20:32PM +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 at 17:08, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ..
> > How?  :-)
> >
> > I.e. do you create a bootable Clonezilla USB stick and boot from that
> > on 'the laptop' or do you install it on another system to which you
> > connect both the 'old' and the 'new' laptop drives?
> >

> Whichever is most convenient.  You could boot off a stick on the
> laptop and clone the image as a compressed fileset onto the drive of a
> connected machine (via ssh), then install the new disc on the laptop
> and use clonezilla to restore from the image onto the new disc.  That
> saves having to plug the discs into another machine.  Or you could
> plug them into the other machine and run it locally there which might
> be quicker as it doesn't have to go across the network.  Clonezilla
> only clones used bits of the disc so the amount of time it takes
> depends on the amount of data not the partition sizes.

OK, thanks, I'll probably go the 'copy out to image across network'
and then copy back to the new drive.  It really doesn't matter if it
takes a long time.

--
Chris Green