How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I am running UbuntuMATE 16.04.x.

For the past few minutes, the System Monitor shows data being
downloaded, that I have not authorised, and about 300-500 kB/s.

How do I find where the data is originating, and, what is downloading it?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Mike Marchywka

Did you try "netstat -a -n -p" or similar? When I've seen that with the default
'Beaver install it is unattended upgrades.

>Thank you in anticipation.
>
>--
>Bret Busby
>Armadale
>West Australia
>
>"So once you do know what the question actually is,
> you'll know what the answer means."
>- Deep Thought,
> Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> written by Douglas Adams,
> published by Pan Books, 1992

>--

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

On 02/03/2019, Mike Marchywka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I tried running that command, and got more outupt than I could go back
to the first lines of the output to see what was there, so, because
you mentioned the prospect of unattendedf updates ()which are supposed
to be disabled on this computer, I loaded Software Updater, and the
first screen that I saw, showed that it was installin packages. It did
not let me stop what it was doing, so I had to sever the Internet
connection, to stop it making unauthorised downloads.

Then, the screen started flashing (?) black screens.

I have no idea how the system updater has gone dirty, but, it appears
safest to disable the system updates, as the software appears to have
gone rabid, maliciously taking control of the system.

So, I will reconnect to the Internet, send this message, and,
disconnect again, and, try to reconnect from time to time, to seek an
answer to this - I mayu have to use another computer to connect to the
Internet, to try to find a solution, as the operating system appears
to have made it toodangerous to connect this computer to the Internet.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Colin Law
On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried running that command, and got more outupt than I could go back
> to the first lines of the output to see what was there, so, because
> you mentioned the prospect of unattendedf updates ()which are supposed
> to be disabled on this computer, I loaded Software Updater, and the
> first screen that I saw, showed that it was installin packages. It did
> not let me stop what it was doing, so I had to sever the Internet
> connection, to stop it making unauthorised downloads.
>
> Then, the screen started flashing (?) black screens.
>
> I have no idea how the system updater has gone dirty, but, it appears
> safest to disable the system updates, as the software appears to have
> gone rabid, maliciously taking control of the system.
>
> So, I will reconnect to the Internet, send this message, and,
> disconnect again, and, try to reconnect from time to time, to seek an
> answer to this - I mayu have to use another computer to connect to the
> Internet, to try to find a solution, as the operating system appears
> to have made it toodangerous to connect this computer to the Internet.

Whatever you do don't stop it while it is *installing* upgrades, you
can end up with a non-working system if you do that.  If it is
actually just *downloading* then that is ok.
What is 'malicious' about automatically installing updates?  There may
be a bug if it is doing that without your permission but it is most
unlikely to be malicious.

If you want to work out why it is doing it look in Software & Updates,
in the Updates tab and see what the settings are.

Colin

> --
>
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>  you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>  written by Douglas Adams,
>  published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2019-03-02 at 18:33 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> For the past few minutes, the System Monitor shows data being
> downloaded, that I have not authorised, and about 300-500 kB/s.
>
> How do I find where the data is originating, and, what is downloading
> it?

If it's arriving at your computer, you know the target.

To find the source, install and run wireshark on your system. When it
starts, select the primary interface on your system and click the blue
fin at top left to start capturing packets. After it's been capturing
data for a few minutes, click the red square to stop capturing. Then
use the "Statistics" feature to list top talkers. Go to Statistics ->
Endpoints and click on the IPv4 tab. You can then click on the column
headings to order the list in various ways. For example, click on "RX
Bytes" to order by data volume received.

If you are using IPv6, also check the IPv6 tab...

Remember the values in the columns related to the addresses in the
leftmost column. Your own address will probably be the one that sends
and receives most, so you are really looking for the next chattiest :-)

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: A0CD 28F0 10BE FC21 C57C 67C1 19A6 83A4 9B0B 1D75
Old fingerprint: A52E F6B9 708B 51C4 85E6 1634 0571 ADF9 3C1C 6A3A

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Mike Marchywka

On some limited resource systems everything else stops. I had
a heck of time with moving the /etc/rc files and finally had to
move junk in the systemd directory IIRC. The real problem
I've seen with "kill -9" is you can end up with inconsistent package
information that can take a while to hunt down and fix.

>If you want to work out why it is doing it look in Software & Updates,
>in the Updates tab and see what the settings are.
>
>Colin
>

>> --
>>
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>  you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>  written by Douglas Adams,
>>  published by Pan Books, 1992

>> --

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Mike Marchywka

Depending on the situation, you may not have enough resources
left to launch a new GUI etc.  For routine monitoring that is probably
great.  If you need to select one interface though that could
make it a longer process. Another approach is just to run
tcpdump., grep  the headers and "sort | uniq -c | sort -g"

On 02/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 11:01, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I tried running that command, and got more outupt than I could go back
>> to the first lines of the output to see what was there, so, because
>> you mentioned the prospect of unattendedf updates ()which are supposed
>> to be disabled on this computer, I loaded Software Updater, and the
>> first screen that I saw, showed that it was installin packages. It did
>> not let me stop what it was doing, so I had to sever the Internet
>> connection, to stop it making unauthorised downloads.
>>
>> Then, the screen started flashing (?) black screens.
>>
>> I have no idea how the system updater has gone dirty, but, it appears
>> safest to disable the system updates, as the software appears to have
>> gone rabid, maliciously taking control of the system.
>>
>> So, I will reconnect to the Internet, send this message, and,
>> disconnect again, and, try to reconnect from time to time, to seek an
>> answer to this - I mayu have to use another computer to connect to the
>> Internet, to try to find a solution, as the operating system appears
>> to have made it toodangerous to connect this computer to the Internet.
>
> Whatever you do don't stop it while it is *installing* upgrades, you
> can end up with a non-working system if you do that.  If it is
> actually just *downloading* then that is ok.
> What is 'malicious' about automatically installing updates?  There may
> be a bug if it is doing that without your permission but it is most
> unlikely to be malicious.
>
> If you want to work out why it is doing it look in Software & Updates,
> in the Updates tab and see what the settings are.
>
> Colin

It was set to perform daily checks for updates.

Not to download or install.

It had overriddren the settings.

I have stopped it - there is now, not a file named
/etc/apt/sources.list, in this Ubuntu installation.

When I made that change, and subsequently reconnected the computer to
the Internet, the unauthorised downloading did not recur.

It is a (bad) bandaid fix, but, it is a fix.

My other main computer, that was more stabilised, requires me to
manually check for updates, which has not been done for a while, now,
as the Software Updater stopped displaying the packages that were to
be changed.

Unfortunately, it has become safer to disable software updates, as the
software updating facility has become unstable

So, no further software updates are performed, until they can be controlled..

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 20:22, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It was set to perform daily checks for updates.
>
> Not to download or install.
>
> It had overriddren the settings.

Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
anyway.

Colin

On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 20:22, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was set to perform daily checks for updates.
>>
>> Not to download or install.
>>
>> It had overriddren the settings.
>
> Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
> had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
> anyway.
>
> Colin

The latter - the settings are still as they had been set; to daily
check for updates, and not more than that, and it was doownloading and
installing packages, anyway.

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 06:48, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 20:22, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> It was set to perform daily checks for updates.
> >>
> >> Not to download or install.
> >>
> >> It had overriddren the settings.
> >
> > Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
> > had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
> > anyway.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> The latter - the settings are still as they had been set; to daily
> check for updates, and not more than that, and it was doownloading and
> installing packages, anyway.

Can you post a bit of the apt log for that period (when it was
installing packages)?  That is in var/log/apt/history.log, or if the
log has been rotated since it happened /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz,
or for older .2.gz etc.  You can look at the timestamps to find the
right one.

Colin

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 06:48, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
>> > had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
>> > anyway.
>> >
>> > Colin
>> >

>> The latter - the settings are still as they had been set; to daily
>> check for updates, and not more than that, and it was doownloading and
>> installing packages, anyway.
>
> Can you post a bit of the apt log for that period (when it was
> installing packages)?  That is in var/log/apt/history.log, or if the
> log has been rotated since it happened /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz,
> or for older .2.gz etc.  You can look at the timestamps to find the
> right one.
>
> Colin

"
:~$ less var/log/apt/history.log
var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory
"

"
:~$ ls var/log/apt
ls: cannot access 'var/log/apt': No such file or directory
"

The same results were also returned, running the commands via sudo

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 20:22, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was set to perform daily checks for updates.
>>
>> Not to download or install.
>>
>> It had overriddren the settings.
>
> Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
> had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
> anyway.
>
> Colin

I have posted a screenshot, but, it is waiting the list moderator's
approval, as the message is apparently about 76kB, with a list message
maximum size of 40kB.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
Sorry about the typographical error in the original message subject,
but, I fear that, if I now correct the error, it will split the
thread.

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 09:43, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 at 20:22, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> It was set to perform daily checks for updates.
> >>
> >> Not to download or install.
> >>
> >> It had overriddren the settings.
> >
> > Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
> > had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
> > anyway.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> I have posted a screenshot, but, it is waiting the list moderator's
> approval, as the message is apparently about 76kB, with a list message
> maximum size of 40kB.

Is that of the log?  Just copy/paste a representative bit, don't post
a screen shot.

Colin

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Mike Marchywka
>______________________________________

I guess personally this is another reason to work from the command line.
Unless you are trying to debug the GUI the text files are likely more directly diagnostic
of whatever problem you have.
The  system is not likely reacting to the GUI as much as text files it generates. It would be easier to
take snippets from the more relevant text files.  fwiw

>Regards,
>Jared

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

__

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 09:43, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Do you mean it *was* set not to download or install but the settings
>> > had changed or it was still set like that but was downloading them
>> > anyway.
>> >
>> > Colin
>> >

>> I have posted a screenshot, but, it is waiting the list moderator's
>> approval, as the message is apparently about 76kB, with a list message
>> maximum size of 40kB.
>
> Is that of the log?  Just copy/paste a representative bit, don't post
> a screen shot.
>
> Colin

No, it is not of the log - it is of the settings of the softtware
updater, as I indicated.

Also, as I prevoiously posted, the log is shown to not exist, at the
path specified.

On 03/03/2019, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have posted a screenshot, but, it is waiting the list moderator's
>>> approval, as the message is apparently about 76kB, with a list message
>>> maximum size of 40kB.
>>
>> Is that of the log?  Just copy/paste a representative bit, don't post
>> a screen shot.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> No, it is not of the log - it is of the settings of the softtware
> updater, as I indicated.

Sorry - the indication of of what the screenshot showed, was in the
message that is awaiting moderation.

The screenshot is of the tab in the Software Updater, that answered
the question of what were the settings of the Software Updater, in
terms of what it was supposed to do.

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 11:11, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..
> Also, as I prevoiously posted, the log is shown to not exist, at the
> path specified.

That is because I missed a / from the front of the path in one of the
places I referenced it, it should be /var/log/apt/history.log
I got it right the second time in the same message.  Sorry about the confusion.

Colin