How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Tom H-4
On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> :~$ less var/log/apt/history.log
> var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory
>
> :~$ ls var/log/apt
> ls: cannot access 'var/log/apt': No such file or directory

It's "/var" not "var".

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Colin Law
Bret, did you look in /var/log/apt/history.log to see if it gives a
clue as to what was going on?

Colin

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 11:48, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > :~$ less var/log/apt/history.log
> > var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory
> >
> > :~$ ls var/log/apt
> > ls: cannot access 'var/log/apt': No such file or directory
>
> It's "/var" not "var".

Re: How to find source and targhet of data transmissions

Bret Busby-2
On 06/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bret, did you look in /var/log/apt/history.log to see if it gives a
> clue as to what was going on?
>
> Colin
>
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 11:48, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:33 AM Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > :~$ less var/log/apt/history.log
>> > var/log/apt/history.log: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > :~$ ls var/log/apt
>> > ls: cannot access 'var/log/apt': No such file or directory
>>
>> It's "/var" not "var".

That file was empty, and the log.1 file was a .gz file, and engrampa
told me that I did not have privilege to extract it (engrampa did not
prompt for a superuser password, to overcome the lack of privilege),
and I could not remember what command line utility I would need to use
to extract it, and, thence, the command syntax, and, I had lost too
much sleep, in the last couple of weeks, in dealing with another,
unrelated (nothing to do with computing) problem, that will probably
take me another few days or so, to recover from, so, I gave up on it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 21:57, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/03/2019, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Bret, did you look in /var/log/apt/history.log to see if it gives a
> > clue as to what was going on?
> >
> > Colin

> >> It's "/var" not "var".
> >>

> That file was empty, and the log.1 file was a .gz file, and engrampa
> told me that I did not have privilege to extract it (engrampa did not
> prompt for a superuser password, to overcome the lack of privilege),
> and I could not remember what command line utility I would need to use
> to extract it, and, thence, the command syntax, and, I had lost too
> much sleep, in the last couple of weeks, in dealing with another,
> unrelated (nothing to do with computing) problem, that will probably
> take me another few days or so, to recover from, so, I gave up on it.

You can tell which file you want by looking at the timestamps. The one
you want is the first one with a date after the time of interest as
that is the time the file was closed.
You can use zcat filename.gz to show the file.
It was you that made such a fuss about it doing upgrades without your
permission, checking that will show whether it actually did any
upgrades.  If you are no longer bothered then that is up to you.

Colin