How to force a reinstall of the system

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to force a reinstall of the system

Olivier Nicole-2
Hello,

I am running a minimal version of Ubuntu on a single board
computer. There is no complete version of Ubuntu available for that SBC.

I have spent some time trying to install all I need to turn it into a
normal Ubuntu, but some bits and parts are missing that I cannot manage
to locate.

Is there a way to force a complete installation of Ubuntu (desktop
version) on a system? Like
"apt-get insall all-that-is-missing-to-make-normal-Ubuntu"

Thanks,

Olivier
--

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to force a reinstall of the system

Steve Susbauer
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM Olivier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have spent some time trying to install all I need to turn it into a
> normal Ubuntu, but some bits and parts are missing that I cannot manage
> to locate.
>
> Is there a way to force a complete installation of Ubuntu (desktop
> version) on a system? Like
> "apt-get insall all-that-is-missing-to-make-normal-Ubuntu"
>

Hello,

ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that depends on all of the other
packages needed to make an Ubuntu desktop system.

Since this is a nonstandard system I would make sure you have a good
backup or ability to restore, just in case something doesn't work the
way it should.

-Steve

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to force a reinstall of the system

Olivier Nicole-2
Hi,

>> I have spent some time trying to install all I need to turn it into a
>> normal Ubuntu, but some bits and parts are missing that I cannot manage
>> to locate.
>>
>> Is there a way to force a complete installation of Ubuntu (desktop
>> version) on a system? Like
>> "apt-get insall all-that-is-missing-to-make-normal-Ubuntu"
>>
>
> Hello,
>
> ubuntu-desktop is a metapackage that depends on all of the other
> packages needed to make an Ubuntu desktop system.

Is there a way to have all the components forcedly reinstalled, so I am
sure everything is OK?

"apt-get --reinstall install ubuntu-desktop" does not work all packages
recurssively.

Thank you,

Olivier

--

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to force a reinstall of the system

Oliver Grawert
In reply to this post by Olivier Nicole-2
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 24.10.2018, 10:46 +0700 schrieb Olivier:

> Hello,
>
> I am running a minimal version of Ubuntu on a single board
> computer. There is no complete version of Ubuntu available for that
> SBC.
>
> I have spent some time trying to install all I need to turn it into a
> normal Ubuntu, but some bits and parts are missing that I cannot
> manage
> to locate.
>
> Is there a way to force a complete installation of Ubuntu (desktop
> version) on a system? Like
> "apt-get insall all-that-is-missing-to-make-normal-Ubuntu"
>
ubuntu uses tasks (represented by the little caret below) to build the
official images, for the basic system you'd do something like:

sudo apt update # (to make sure your package lists are up to date)
sudo apt install ubuntu-minimal^ ubuntu-standard^

if you want the whole UI installed on top of it:

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop^

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment