How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Kevin O'Gorman
I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm used to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer functions.  Is there a way to do this?  It already has a somewhat old Ubuntu partition, and I could use it, but the update process to make it current would be laborious.  I'd much rather have a fresh install.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

ubuntu-users mailing list
23 August 2018  at 8:42, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
How to install new Ubuntu without a CD/DVD (at least in part)

>Is there a way to do this?

If your laptop has a USB that is the preferd way to test & install (hoping when
you said media reader failed you meant the CD)

The other option if no CD/DVD or USB, would be to remove the hard disk and
install Ubuntu on it in an external drive then replace it in the laptop, works
fine for older PC's

How old is it's current Ubuntu?

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Nils Kassube-2
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some
> voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm
> used to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer
> functions. Is there a way to do this?

Make a bootable USB stick with the downloaded image of your preferred
Ubuntu version:
<https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu>

Nils

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Robert Heller
At Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:42:11 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some
> voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm used
> to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer functions.
> Is there a way to do this?  It already has a somewhat old Ubuntu partition,
> and I could use it, but the update process to make it current would be
> laborious.  I'd much rather have a fresh install.

Can this machine boot from a USB stick?

Can this machine boot from a network (PXE)?

I believe it is possible to put the Ubuntu install ISO on a USB stick.  It is
also possible to boot and install Ubuntu from the network.  If you have a
"server" (really any Ubuntu desktop machine or even another Ubuntu laptop)
that you can install dhcpd and tftpd on, you can then put the Ubuntu network
boot/install files onto it.

*Another* (seriously old-school hack) possiblity is to put the old laptop's
disk in another machine with a working optical reader [or one of the other
boot/install options] (another laptop or even a desktop) and install it that
way and then move the disk back to the old laptop. You might need to update
things that are hardware dependent (video setup, sound setup, network setup),
but the core O/S should just plain work.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Peter Flynn
On 23/08/18 19:04, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Thu, 23 Aug 2018 08:42:11 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some
>> voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm used
>> to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer functions.

I don't know what a "media reader" is, but I take this to mean that USB
is not functioning, or there is no USB port.

You can get a card with two USB ports on and insert that (I threw one
out last week, sorry).

> Can this machine boot from a USB stick?

You may need to enable USB boot in the BIOS first.

> Can this machine boot from a network (PXE)?

If it has a network card that could work.

> I believe it is possible to put the Ubuntu install ISO on a USB stick.

Very easy: I do this all the time.

///Peter

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 23.08.2018, 21:10 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> > > I have an old laptop that
> You can get a card with two USB ports on and insert that ...

might be a bit tricky in a laptop ;)

ciao
        oli

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Kevin,

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 at 16:44, Kevin O'Gorman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an old laptop that I keep running because it helps me with some voluteer work I do.  I want to install Ubuntu on it, but the way I'm used to involved burning a CD or DVD, and its media reader no longer functions.  Is there a way to do this?  It already has a somewhat old Ubuntu partition, and I could use it, but the update process to make it current would be laborious.  I'd much rather have a fresh install.

First you have some legwork...
Someone else will have to recommend Windows programs, if you need to do this on a Windows computer.
You can download the iso file of Ubuntu you want from http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Here are some options...

If you have a USB flash drive,..
Then you can use Startup Disc Creator on Ubuntu to put the iso properly onto a USB pendrive
You might have to press F2 during boot to get to your BIOS settings and enable booting from USB
Connect USB to laptop, boot laptop and install that way.

If you want to go down the optical disk route...
On a suitable system, get/borrow an external DVD reader, burn the O.S. of Ubuntu on to it.
Insert DVD disc into laptop, boot laptop and install that way.

Or find your nearest Linux User Group meeting and ask them in person for help.

HTH,

Ian

noname (602 bytes) Download Attachment

On 23/08/18 21:53, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,

>> You can get a card with two USB ports on and insert that ...
>
> might be a bit tricky in a laptop ;)

Defnitely, I had missed that bit :-)

The last time I saw a laptop without a USB port was in 2000 running
Windows/ME, so I am assuming as I said that "media reader" is some kind
of socket device (USB? SD card?)

So yes, probably take out the HD, get a caddy and mount it as an
external drive on another computer and install the OS that way.

///Peter

At Fri, 24 Aug 2018 10:45:05 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/08/18 21:53, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,

> >> You can get a card with two USB ports on and insert that ...
> >
> > might be a bit tricky in a laptop ;)
>
> Defnitely, I had missed that bit :-)
>
> The last time I saw a laptop without a USB port was in 2000 running
> Windows/ME, so I am assuming as I said that "media reader" is some kind
> of socket device (USB? SD card?)
I understood "media reader" as optical disk (CD/DVD) reader. Very often laptop
optical disk (CD/DVD) readers go bad -- they are just not built to last.  Some
of them can be removed and replaced easily enough (if one really wants to
bother).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: How to install new Ubuntu without a CD

Kevin O'Gorman
You all are right.
 - it's a laptop
 - it's the CD that's bad
 - it can boot USB (I'm embarassed that this didn't come to mind.  Another reminder of how old I'm getting to be.)

I'm currently working on a YUMI setup which will solve all of my problems.  In fact I had an old one hidden away and all I'm doing is downloading and installing a few variants to the drive.

Thanks.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services