How to kickstart from floppy?

Tim Jackson-3
I am trying to get the Breezy install to see a ks.cfg (kickstart config)
on a floppy.  I have read the documentation on the wiki, and the RedHat
documentation that comes with system-config-kickstart  On RedHat systems
I have done this before by creating bootable disk using syslinux and
putting the linuz kernel and initrd.gz from the install on the disk, but
ubuntu doesn't seem to have a small footprint install.  Anyone have some
knowledge in this area? The docs seems to say that just saying ks=path
to ks.cfg at the prompt will work and that it will work for a floppy but
so far every thing I've tried has failed.
thanks Tim Jackson

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

chrisccoulson

In my mind, kickstart is specific to RedHat/Fedora

--
Koybe

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

albi@scii.nl
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:25:21 -0500
'Forum Post <[hidden email]>, '@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com
wrote:

> In my mind, kickstart is specific to RedHat/Fedora

kickstart was ported to ubuntu :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KickstartCompatibility

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

Tim Jackson-3
Thanks for the response,
I had read that doc, but missed one small point, I had been trying to
say just ks="floppy" at the install prompt.
The correct form is "linux ks=floppy", to get a boot stanza in isolinux.cfg
It didn't work 100%, didn't partition automatically for me, but it got
the first few pages of answers from the ks.cfg.

albi wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:25:21 -0500
>'Forum Post <[hidden email]>, '@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com
>wrote:
>

>>In my mind, kickstart is specific to RedHat/Fedora
>>

>kickstart was ported to ubuntu :
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KickstartCompatibility

--
TIM JACKSON
Senior Programmer/Analyst
INTEGRATED SERVICES, INC.
Phone: 800.922.3099
[hidden email]
http://www.ints.com

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

Tim Jackson-3

still can't get the kickstart to partition automatically.
I get these errors just before the hardware probing

"/lib/kickseed/initrd-kickseed 109:    mountfloppy not found"
"lib/kickseed/initrd-kickseed 124:    cannot open floppy/ks.cfg"

but the odd part is that the install does read the ks.cfg enough to get
past all the screens up to the partitioning.

any ideas?

Tim Jackson wrote:

> Thanks for the response,
> I had read that doc, but missed one small point, I had been trying to
> say just ks="floppy" at the install prompt.
> The correct form is "linux ks=floppy", to get a boot stanza in
> isolinux.cfg
> It didn't work 100%, didn't partition automatically for me, but it got
> the first few pages of answers from the ks.cfg.
>

> albi wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:25:21 -0500
>> 'Forum Post <[hidden email]>, '@wailuku.xlogicgroup.com
>> wrote:
>>

>>> In my mind, kickstart is specific to RedHat/Fedora
>>>

>> kickstart was ported to ubuntu :
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KickstartCompatibility

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

albi@scii.nl
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:51:20 -0800
Tim Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> still can't get the kickstart to partition automatically.
> I get these errors just before the hardware probing
>
> "/lib/kickseed/initrd-kickseed 109:    mountfloppy not found"
> "lib/kickseed/initrd-kickseed 124:    cannot open floppy/ks.cfg"
>
> but the odd part is that the install does read the ks.cfg enough to
> get past all the screens up to the partitioning.

i've done quite a few kickstart-installations lately (breezy, with a
ks.cfg put online) and they all went fine apart from "the having to type
<enter> twice" in the partition-part

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import

Re: How to kickstart from floppy?

Tim Jackson-3
I am doing the cfg from the system-config-kickstart gui and the cfg it
creates looks pretty much identical to the way it did with RedHat.
Maybe I am doing something wrong.   It seems like the clearpart is not
being doing.  The partitioner is coming up with the existing partition
structure and I then have to go through and name mount points and format
each partition and then it never goes back to the load the rest of the
cfg. Here is the partitioning part of my cfg

#System bootloader configuration
bootloader --location=mbr
#Clear the Master Boot Record
zerombr yes
#Partition clearing information
clearpart --all --initlabel
#Disk partitioning information
part /boot --fstype ext3 --size 150 --asprimary
part swap --recommended --asprimary
part / --fstype ext3 --size 4000 --asprimary
part /usr --fstype ext3 --size 4000
part /home --fstype ext3 --size 4000
part /opt --fstype ext3 --size 20000
part /var --fstype ext3 --size 2000
part /tmp --fstype ext3 --size 2000
part /recovery --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow