How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Martynas Brijunas
Hello,

is there any way to make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain so I don't
have to keep typing in passwords every time i want to open a network
share?

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

zach-7
Assuming its an NT4 style domain, you'll need to use samba to do this,
specifically winbind.  Unless somebody on this list can outline the
exact steps, your best bet is to check out samba.org.  There are two
guides there, The Official HOWTO, and Samba 3 by example.  These are
online versions of books by the same title available for purchase at
your local book store.  And they're free.  They're both very good and
should help you accomplish this.

One thing, though, is that you shouldn't need to follow steps
decribing downloading source and compiling.  Samba packages are
available in the Ubuntu repositories.

On 11/15/05, Martynas Brijunas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there any way to make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain so I don't
> have to keep typing in passwords every time i want to open a network
> share?

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Derek Broughton-2
Zach wrote:

> Assuming its an NT4 style domain, you'll need to use samba to do this,
> specifically winbind.

I know we've been almost here before, but you definitely don't need winbind
just to allow your Samba to connect to domain shares.  To become a genuine
part of the domain, I guess you would, but I do this from a machine that is
firewalled off from the domain (because I don't know enough about Samba to
be sure I don't do something bad).

> On 11/15/05, Martynas Brijunas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> is there any way to make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain so I don't
>> have to keep typing in passwords every time i want to open a network
>> share?

In Kubuntu, you'd go to the control center, "Internet & Network", "Local
Network browsing" and simply enter your windows domain user name, as
DOMAIN\USER, and password. Then all attempts to mount a Windows share use
this.  I'm sure there must be something similar in Gnome.

--
derek

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Phillip Susi
Derek Broughton wrote:

> I know we've been almost here before, but you definitely don't need winbind
> just to allow your Samba to connect to domain shares.  To become a genuine
> part of the domain, I guess you would, but I do this from a machine that is
> firewalled off from the domain (because I don't know enough about Samba to
> be sure I don't do something bad).

Aye, joining the domain allows others to connect to YOUR shares using
their domain username and password.  That doesn't sound like what the OP
wanted, so I don't think that was the right advice.

> In Kubuntu, you'd go to the control center, "Internet & Network", "Local
> Network browsing" and simply enter your windows domain user name, as
> DOMAIN\USER, and password. Then all attempts to mount a Windows share use
> this.  I'm sure there must be something similar in Gnome.

That sounds more like what the OP was interested in.

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

zach-7
Maybe the original poster can clarify what he meant, but he did say "
make my ubuntu a part of WinNT domain," and the correct answer to that
is to configure pam to use winbind--assuming it's an NT4 domain.  If
it's an AD domain, then linux can authenticate against it like it
would authenticate against any LDAP/Kerberos authentication mechanism.

Certainly, you don't *have* to join the domain in order to access
domain resources, such as shares--this is true even with windows.

However to use network-based authentication rather than local
authentication, allowing you to access network resources
transparently, then joining the domain is appropriate.

As far as the observation: "joining the domain allows others to
connect to YOUR shares,"  That's not what being part of a domain is
about.  It means using centrally managed network based user accounts
as opposed to locally managed accounts that are unique to each
machine.

If you don't have samba configured with any shares, then you don't
have any shares for others to connect to.  And if you do have shares
configured then only users to whom you have granted permission may
acccess them.

The samba documentation is really quite good.  Please check it out.
It addresses all these things.

On 11/15/05, Phillip Susi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
> >
> > I know we've been almost here before, but you definitely don't need winbind
> > just to allow your Samba to connect to domain shares.  To become a genuine
> > part of the domain, I guess you would, but I do this from a machine that is
> > firewalled off from the domain (because I don't know enough about Samba to
> > be sure I don't do something bad).
> >

> Aye, joining the domain allows others to connect to YOUR shares using
> their domain username and password.  That doesn't sound like what the OP
> wanted, so I don't think that was the right advice.
>
> > In Kubuntu, you'd go to the control center, "Internet & Network", "Local
> > Network browsing" and simply enter your windows domain user name, as
> > DOMAIN\USER, and password. Then all attempts to mount a Windows share use
> > this.  I'm sure there must be something similar in Gnome.
> >

> That sounds more like what the OP was interested in.

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Senectus .
I have a shell script I run once a day that has the password in it as
plain text (yeah I know.. not secure). I still neet to sudo it which
means putting in a password.. but it's only once a day I need to as it
maps all the drives.

If you didn't like that plain text password you could always compile
it inti a bin file which would make it only slightly harder to read
the password...
I'll send you a copy of the short script if you want.. (sans passwords :-) )

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Mike Bird-6
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 13:55, Senectus . wrote:
> I have a shell script I run once a day that has the password in it as
> plain text (yeah I know.. not secure). I still neet to sudo it which
> means putting in a password.. but it's only once a day I need to as it
> maps all the drives.
>
> If you didn't like that plain text password you could always compile
> it inti a bin file which would make it only slightly harder to read
> the password...
> I'll send you a copy of the short script if you want.. (sans passwords :-) )

Just run the script from root's crontab or /etc/cron.daily

--Mike Bird

On 11/16/05, Mike Bird <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 13:55, Senectus . wrote:
> > I have a shell script I run once a day that has the password in it as
> > plain text (yeah I know.. not secure). I still neet to sudo it which
> > means putting in a password.. but it's only once a day I need to as it
> > maps all the drives.
> >
> > If you didn't like that plain text password you could always compile
> > it inti a bin file which would make it only slightly harder to read
> > the password...
> > I'll send you a copy of the short script if you want.. (sans passwords :-) )
>
> Just run the script from root's crontab or /etc/cron.daily
once _a_ day... not once _every_ day :-P

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
CNet News.com: So that would be the philosophical difference between
Microsoft and what Google is up to at this point?
Bill Gates: Well, we don't know everything they are up to, but we do
know their slogan and we disagree with that.
www.modmeup.net

Re: How to make my ubuntu a part of Win NT domain?

Martynas Brijunas
Thanks for all the replies! I am going to try this at work tomorrow
morning, and will keep you posted.