How to open .pct files

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to open .pct files

Wade Smart
11072005 0730 GMT-5

After taking the jump to Linux - completely - Im still figuring out how
to do some of my work.

I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?

Thank you.

Wade

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

neil woolford
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 07:34 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

>
> I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
>

ImageMagick is a very good Swiss Army Knife for image files, and should
be able to open .pct/.pict files and convert them to other formats if
required.  It won't be installed by default, but can be obtained from
the official repositories.  It isn't that easy to drive I'm afraid, but
part of it is called 'display' and gives a way of looking at files
quickly before editing.  Some editing and correction can be done within
ImageMagick, but I haven't got it installed at the moment - I'm using
Gimp and Photoshop depending on what I'm doing.

Neil

PS  My first response was that the Gimp would do the job, but .pic
and .pict don't seem to appear in the file menus for my copy.  There may
be a plugin to do the job.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

john levin-2
In reply to this post by Wade Smart
Wade Smart wrote:

> 11072005 0730 GMT-5
>
> After taking the jump to Linux - completely - Im still figuring out how
> to do some of my work.
>
> I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Wade
>
.pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
propriatory format.
After a bit of googling, it looks like StarImpress and XnView can deal
with these files.
(And also Scilab Image Toolbox: http://siptoolbox.sourceforge.net/ )

HTH

John


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

Duncan Lithgow
john levin wrote:

> .pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
> either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
> propriatory format.
> After a bit of googling, it looks like StarImpress and XnView can deal
> with these files.
> (And also Scilab Image Toolbox: http://siptoolbox.sourceforge.net/ )
>
> HTH
>
> John
>
>
XnView installed fine for me under CrossOver office - therefore should
work under wine.

Duncan

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

neil woolford
In reply to this post by john levin-2
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:44 +0000, john levin wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
> >
> > I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> > are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
> >

> .pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
> either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
> propriatory format.

Gimp certainly can't in the default install, there *may* be plugins to
handle the task but my googling was inconclusive.

However, I've just installed ImageMagick from the Breezy repositories,
made a simple .pic format image with Photoshop on my Windows system,
copied the file across to my Ubuntu sytem and opened it for editing in
ImageMagick.  I was able to make and save a small (drawing) edit to the
image without problems.  You should also be able to apply transforms,
resize and convert to many other formats.

I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
menu trees...

Neil

PS ImageMagick seems to have been able to do this since 1992, if the
following header from their pict.c file is anything to go by...

/*
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%                                                                             %
%                                                                             %
%                                                                             %
%                        PPPP   IIIII   CCCC  TTTTT                           %
%                        P   P    I    C        T                             %
%                        PPPP     I    C        T                             %
%                        P        I    C        T                             %
%                        P      IIIII   CCCC    T                             %
%                                                                             %
%                                                                             %
%               Read/Write Apple Macintosh QuickDraw/PICT Format.             %
%                                                                             %
%                              Software Design                                %
%                                John Cristy                                  %
%                                 July 1992                                   %
%                                                                             %
%                                                                             %
%  Copyright 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC, a non-profit organization      %
%  dedicated to making software imaging solutions freely available.           %
%                                                                             %

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

ulrich steffens
Am Montag, den 07.11.2005, 16:09 +0000 schrieb neil woolford:

> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:44 +0000, john levin wrote:
> > Wade Smart wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> > > are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
> > >
>
> > .pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
> > either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
> > propriatory format.
>
> Gimp certainly can't in the default install, there *may* be plugins to
> handle the task but my googling was inconclusive.
>
> However, I've just installed ImageMagick from the Breezy repositories,
> made a simple .pic format image with Photoshop on my Windows system,
> copied the file across to my Ubuntu sytem and opened it for editing in
> ImageMagick.  I was able to make and save a small (drawing) edit to the
> image without problems.  You should also be able to apply transforms,
> resize and convert to many other formats.
>
> I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
> very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
> menu trees...
>
> Neil
>
i also was curious and first thought gimp could do this...
i then fiddled around with 'convert' and it seems it can handle
pict-files rather well. i did
        convert png > pct
        convert pct > jpg/whatever
and the output looks like the original file.

so maybe a small bash-script which converts all the files in a usable
format will do the trick?
and better NOT ask me about scripting :)

ulrich


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

neil woolford
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:41 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
> Am Montag, den 07.11.2005, 16:09 +0000 schrieb neil woolford:
> > > Wade Smart wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
> > > > are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?

> >
> > I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
> > very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
> > menu trees...

Correction!  And left clicks for the drawing tools and other things!
The F1 key does bring up quite a lot of information about the user
interface.

> >
> > Neil
> >
> i also was curious and first thought gimp could do this...
> i then fiddled around with 'convert' and it seems it can handle
> pict-files rather well. i did
> convert png > pct
> convert pct > jpg/whatever
> and the output looks like the original file.
>
> so maybe a small bash-script which converts all the files in a usable
> format will do the trick?
> and better NOT ask me about scripting :)
>
> ulrich
>
The best way to deal with this is going to depend on what kind of
editing needs to be done to the images;  an action like resizing for
thumbnails, changing mode (eg colour to monochrome) or changing file
format would almost certainly be best done from the command line or a
script.  Actual manual editing could either be done in the 'display'
invocation of ImageMagick or by batch converting into something that
(say) the Gimp can handle, then batch converting back afterwards.

Although I'm no fan of the user interface of ImageMagick, there is no
doubt that the underlying programs are of high quality and provide
excellent conversions and manipulations.  I wouldn't expect noticeable
quality loss even with repeated conversions between formats.  (Providing
sensible settings are used for lossy compression, eg. jpegs.)

Neil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

Wade Smart
11072005 1253 GMT-5

Hey, I want to thank all of you who have posted so quickly. I went to
see my client this morning. I did some basic computer maintenance on
their network and while I was at it, I worked quickly on some of those
pictures.

So Gimp will convert to pct but not from? Interesting.

Since I have some time now Ill check out that ImageMagick.

Basically what Im doing with these pictures is, its for their catalog so
they all have to be proofed. I go over them to make sure they look good
for the most part. If I see any odd thing on the image I usually edit it
out.

Wade


neil woolford wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 17:41 +0100, ulrich steffens wrote:
>
>>Am Montag, den 07.11.2005, 16:09 +0000 schrieb neil woolford:
>>
>>>>Wade Smart wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
>>>>>are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
>
>
>>>I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
>>>very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
>>>menu trees...
>
>
> Correction!  And left clicks for the drawing tools and other things!
> The F1 key does bring up quite a lot of information about the user
> interface.
>
>
>>>Neil
>>>
>>
>>i also was curious and first thought gimp could do this...
>>i then fiddled around with 'convert' and it seems it can handle
>>pict-files rather well. i did
>> convert png > pct
>> convert pct > jpg/whatever
>>and the output looks like the original file.
>>
>>so maybe a small bash-script which converts all the files in a usable
>>format will do the trick?
>>and better NOT ask me about scripting :)
>>
>>ulrich
>>
>
>
> The best way to deal with this is going to depend on what kind of
> editing needs to be done to the images;  an action like resizing for
> thumbnails, changing mode (eg colour to monochrome) or changing file
> format would almost certainly be best done from the command line or a
> script.  Actual manual editing could either be done in the 'display'
> invocation of ImageMagick or by batch converting into something that
> (say) the Gimp can handle, then batch converting back afterwards.
>
> Although I'm no fan of the user interface of ImageMagick, there is no
> doubt that the underlying programs are of high quality and provide
> excellent conversions and manipulations.  I wouldn't expect noticeable
> quality loss even with repeated conversions between formats.  (Providing
> sensible settings are used for lossy compression, eg. jpegs.)
>
> Neil
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

neil woolford
In reply to this post by ulrich steffens
And I've just found the ImageMagick Studio, which is a web interface,
example at
http://studio.webbyland.com/MagickStudio/scripts/MagickStudio.cgi

Hours of fun here!  Start at the homepage
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php perhaps.

Neil

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

Wade Smart
In reply to this post by neil woolford
11072005 1304 GMT-5

I installed image magick through synaptic but... there is no icon for it
  under the Graphics submenu and when I do a system wide search for
image magick I get nothing. Am I missing something here?

Wade


neil woolford wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:44 +0000, john levin wrote:
>
>>Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>>I have a folder of about 250 images that Im editing for a client. They
>>>are in .pct format. Is there any program that will allow me to open this?
>>>
>
>
>>.pct is the file format used by Macintosh QuickDraw. Doesn't look like
>>either the Gimp or Image Magick can open them - perhaps because it's a
>>propriatory format.
>
>
> Gimp certainly can't in the default install, there *may* be plugins to
> handle the task but my googling was inconclusive.
>
> However, I've just installed ImageMagick from the Breezy repositories,
> made a simple .pic format image with Photoshop on my Windows system,
> copied the file across to my Ubuntu sytem and opened it for editing in
> ImageMagick.  I was able to make and save a small (drawing) edit to the
> image without problems.  You should also be able to apply transforms,
> resize and convert to many other formats.
>
> I invoked ImageMagick as 'display' which gives a basic gui.  It isn't
> very intuitive, lots of use of right clicks to get to utterly hidden
> menu trees...
>
> Neil
>
> PS ImageMagick seems to have been able to do this since 1992, if the
> following header from their pict.c file is anything to go by...
>
> /*
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> %                                                                             %
> %                                                                             %
> %                                                                             %
> %                        PPPP   IIIII   CCCC  TTTTT                           %
> %                        P   P    I    C        T                             %
> %                        PPPP     I    C        T                             %
> %                        P        I    C        T                             %
> %                        P      IIIII   CCCC    T                             %
> %                                                                             %
> %                                                                             %
> %               Read/Write Apple Macintosh QuickDraw/PICT Format.             %
> %                                                                             %
> %                              Software Design                                %
> %                                John Cristy                                  %
> %                                 July 1992                                   %
> %                                                                             %
> %                                                                             %
> %  Copyright 1999-2005 ImageMagick Studio LLC, a non-profit organization      %
> %  dedicated to making software imaging solutions freely available.           %
> %                                                                             %
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

Wade Smart
In reply to this post by neil woolford
11072005 1317 GMT-5

Ok. I found imagemagick now. I used the display and tried to open
Purple.pct and just got a black screen. So I tried another one. No good.

I did try that online one below but I just received errors for the pct
picture.

Wade

neil woolford wrote:
> And I've just found the ImageMagick Studio, which is a web interface,
> example at
> http://studio.webbyland.com/MagickStudio/scripts/MagickStudio.cgi
>
> Hours of fun here!  Start at the homepage
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php perhaps.
>
> Neil
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

Wade Smart
11072005 1426 GMT-5

I found that convert and looked up how to use it. When I do: convert
Blue.pct Blue.jpg I get a black image. I dont know why. Maybe it cant do
a pct file. Or maybe there is something with these pictures. They looked
fine on my XP install though.


Wade

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to open .pct files

neil woolford
In reply to this post by Wade Smart
On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 13:26 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> 11072005 1317 GMT-5
>
> Ok. I found imagemagick now. I used the display and tried to open
> Purple.pct and just got a black screen. So I tried another one. No good.

Bummer.  I don't know what to suggest, as it 'just worked' here, with no
configuration or tricky stuff.  If the image(s) aren't confidential,
perhaps you might send me one or two attached to off list emails to try
here?

Neil

>
> I did try that online one below but I just received errors for the pct
> picture.
>
> Wade
>
> neil woolford wrote:
> > And I've just found the ImageMagick Studio, which is a web interface,
> > example at
> > http://studio.webbyland.com/MagickStudio/scripts/MagickStudio.cgi
> >
> > Hours of fun here!  Start at the homepage
> > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php perhaps.
> >
> > Neil
> >
>
>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment