Quantcast

How to open .pub files.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

How to open .pub files.

Kipton Moravec
I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.

I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.

I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.

How do you open a .pub file?
Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
Any other options?

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Ric Moore
On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 14:59 -0600, Kipton Moravec wrote:

> I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.
>
> I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.
>
> I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
> find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.
>
> How do you open a .pub file?
> Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
> Any other options?

You really can't open a .pub file with Linux. Even the MS world is
jerked at .pub files. You have to have a copy of Publisher to deal with
them. MS Office can't either.

My private musing on the topic is that MS wanted something to compete
with Adobe and pdf files. I've got a couple of people within our
Non-Profit that shove .pub files at me, and I go on a rant. Now,
Publisher is being discontinued, from what I've read and hopefully it
will die like a Mandrake Root, kicking and screaming out of it's pot.

We can thank all of those "Office Skills" classes in Vo-Techs for
pushing it off on the unwary as a necessary office tool. It makes them
feel bad, and I came off looking like a arsehole, for pointing out that
Office, with a template, will handle the chore without buying another
package like Publisher or it's updates. I have issues with our
Non-Profit taking $5 from a little widowed Church Lady and giving it to
the world's Richest Man. It makes my teeth grind. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Sven Aluoor
In reply to this post by Kipton Moravec
On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Kipton Moravec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.
>
> I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.
>
> I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
> find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.
>
> How do you open a .pub file?
> Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
> Any other options?

There is no Linux tool which can open *.pub files. You can convert
your *.pub in de Cloud (http://convert.neevia.com/pdfconvert/) and
download a PDF for printing to your Linux box. Warning: you loose
control over your *.pub

cheers Sven

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Kipton Moravec
On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 22:36 +0100, Sven Aluoor wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Kipton Moravec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.
> >
> > I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.
> >
> > I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
> > find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.
> >
> > How do you open a .pub file?
> > Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
> > Any other options?
>
> There is no Linux tool which can open *.pub files. You can convert
> your *.pub in de Cloud (http://convert.neevia.com/pdfconvert/) and
> download a PDF for printing to your Linux box. Warning: you loose
> control over your *.pub
>
> cheers Sven
>

Thanks, That worked.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Jonesy-2
In reply to this post by Ric Moore
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:23:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> I have issues with our Non-Profit taking $5 from a little
> widowed Church Lady and giving it to the World's Richest Man.

 *THAT* would make a GREAT .sig !!!!!!

Jonesy


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Anthony Irven Scott
In reply to this post by Ric Moore
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:23:56 +1100, Ric Moore <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 14:59 -0600, Kipton Moravec wrote:
>> I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.
>>
>> I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.
>>
>> I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
>> find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.
>>
>> How do you open a .pub file?
>> Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
>> Any other options?
>
> You really can't open a .pub file with Linux. Even the MS world is
> jerked at .pub files. You have to have a copy of Publisher to deal with
> them. MS Office can't either.
>
> My private musing on the topic is that MS wanted something to compete
> with Adobe and pdf files. I've got a couple of people within our
> Non-Profit that shove .pub files at me, and I go on a rant. Now,
> Publisher is being discontinued, from what I've read and hopefully it
> will die like a Mandrake Root, kicking and screaming out of it's pot.
>
> We can thank all of those "Office Skills" classes in Vo-Techs for
> pushing it off on the unwary as a necessary office tool. It makes them
> feel bad, and I came off looking like a arsehole, for pointing out that
> Office, with a template, will handle the chore without buying another
> package like Publisher or it's updates. I have issues with our
> Non-Profit taking $5 from a little widowed Church Lady and giving it to
> the world's Richest Man. It makes my teeth grind. Ric
>
>
We need more people like you, Ric.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Goh Lip-2
In reply to this post by Jonesy-2
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:43:03 +0800, Jonesy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:23:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> I have issues with our Non-Profit taking $5 from a little
>> widowed Church Lady and giving it to the World's Richest Man.

What? You a Godless Commie or what?!    :)

>  *THAT* would make a GREAT .sig !!!!!!

Or a subversion of the new law.  :)


--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to open .pub files.

Ric Moore
In reply to this post by Anthony Irven Scott
On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 13:48 +1100, Anthony Irven Scott wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 08:23:56 +1100, Ric Moore <[hidden email]>  
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 14:59 -0600, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> >> I was sent .pub file that I need to open and print.
> >>
> >> I believe it is Microsoft Publisher format.
> >>
> >> I tried to open with OpenOffice but the filter opened up and I could not
> >> find Microsoft Publisher as one of the choices.
> >>
> >> How do you open a .pub file?
> >> Is there something to convert it to something OpenOffice can read?
> >> Any other options?
> >
> > You really can't open a .pub file with Linux. Even the MS world is
> > jerked at .pub files. You have to have a copy of Publisher to deal with
> > them. MS Office can't either.
> >
> > My private musing on the topic is that MS wanted something to compete
> > with Adobe and pdf files. I've got a couple of people within our
> > Non-Profit that shove .pub files at me, and I go on a rant. Now,
> > Publisher is being discontinued, from what I've read and hopefully it
> > will die like a Mandrake Root, kicking and screaming out of it's pot.
> >
> > We can thank all of those "Office Skills" classes in Vo-Techs for
> > pushing it off on the unwary as a necessary office tool. It makes them
> > feel bad, and I came off looking like a arsehole, for pointing out that
> > Office, with a template, will handle the chore without buying another
> > package like Publisher or it's updates. I have issues with our
> > Non-Profit taking $5 from a little widowed Church Lady and giving it to
> > the world's Richest Man. It makes my teeth grind. Ric
> >
> >
> We need more people like you, Ric.

Thanks, but one of me is enough! I doubt I could stand another me
running amok. I'm sure I'm upsetting the help with my notions. I do know
that when we PAY to update something or another related to MS, it's
money out of the coffers to do something else of benefit. But, the other
side of the coin, mostly all of the staff have graduated from some
"Office Skills" work program and their comfort level towards doing
useful stuff is ingrained in using MS Office and tools. Mention anything
different and the Fear level rises, along with Uncertainty and Doubt.
Talk about successful marketing. Ric
--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Loading...