How to run my cou at lower freq

Santanu Chatterjee
Hi Everybody,

Is there some way in Ubuntu (and Linux in general) which
will enable me to run my CPU at a somewhat lower frequency
than the normal one?  I have an Intel i815 based motherboard
which does not have any option to change the CPU freq. from
the BIOS. I need my CPU to run at say 1GHz instead of 1.8GHz.

I need to do this since I am having some problems
with the motherboard shutting down my system suddenly since the
CPU is getting overheated. (I got this checked and this does not
seem to be a problem with the CPU fan)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Santanu

Re: How to run my cou at lower freq

Ralf Mörler
Hi Santanu,

"Santanu Chatterjee" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[hidden email]...
>Hi Everybody,

> Is there some way in Ubuntu (and Linux in general) which
> will enable me to run my CPU at a somewhat lower frequency
> than the normal one?

My Pentium 4 mobile could be set to lower frequencies via cpufreq.
If you have ACPI enabled and your CPU supports frequency scaling there
should be
/sys/system/devices/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
here you can set the lower frequency(s).
If it's not there try searching Intel specs, maybe there is a way to write
directly to the MSR.
Don't know if it's adjustable over the MSR but I lower my core voltage this
way.

IMHO this is the wrong way of solving the problem, see below!

> I have an Intel i815 based motherboard
> which does not have any option to change the CPU freq. from
> the BIOS. I need my CPU to run at say 1GHz instead of 1.8GHz.

Again, this is no solution!

> I need to do this since I am having some problems
> with the motherboard shutting down my system suddenly since the
> CPU is getting overheated. (I got this checked and this does not
> seem to be a problem with the CPU fan)

Maybe you should check if your cooling unit fits propperly to your cpu and
if there's
heat-conductive paste between them.
A cpu with a propperly dimensioned and installed cooling unit should never
overheat in "normal" daily usage!
My cpu (it's in a Notebook) a P4M1500 is getting to 70?C max. with 100% cpu
usage.

Last you can take a look at your BIOS.
The critical shutdown temps are often specified and adjustable in there.
Maybe yours set to low.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> Regards,
> Santanu

HTH
Ralf

Re: How to run my cou at lower freq

Sarangan Thuraisingham / துரைசிங்கம் சாரங்கன்
Santanu Chatterjee wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Is there some way in Ubuntu (and Linux in general) which
> will enable me to run my CPU at a somewhat lower frequency
> than the normal one?  I have an Intel i815 based motherboard
> which does not have any option to change the CPU freq. from
> the BIOS. I need my CPU to run at say 1GHz instead of 1.8GHz.
>
> I need to do this since I am having some problems
> with the motherboard shutting down my system suddenly since the
> CPU is getting overheated. (I got this checked and this does not
> seem to be a problem with the CPU fan)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Regards,
> Santanu

  1. Could you give us more info: What is the output of 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'?
  2. Have you heard of cpufreqd and powernowd?
  3. Did you try googling for " 'your processor name/model' Linux CPU
frequency scaling'? Most of these issues have already been dealt with
before, especially in the Ubuntu forums.

Just suggesting you do these, instead of being told by someone to
RTFM(_Fine_). Although, none of us Ubunteros are that rude ;-)

  - Saru
Sarangan Thuraisingham
ECS, University of Southampton, UK

    Tux is the Best