How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

Simos Xenitellis-4
Hi All,

When you right-click on the Firefox icon on the launcher (in 18.04),
you can the option to open a new private window.
In my case it is untranslated. Where can we translate this message from?

Simos

Re: How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

balthazar
Le 28/03/2018 à 22:37, Simos Xenitellis a écrit :
Hi All,

When you right-click on the Firefox icon on the launcher (in 18.04),
you can the option to open a new private window.
In my case it is untranslated. Where can we translate this message from?

Simos

Hello Simos,

Firefox is not translated by Ubuntu translators.
For Mozilla, see here : https://l10n.mozilla.org/

Jean-Marc

Re: How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

Simos Xenitellis-4
Hi Jean-Marc,

That specific message comes from a desktop.ini file and not from the
Mozilla project.
I did a search at https://pontoon.mozilla.org/el/firefox/ and could not find it.

I expected that it would be translated into a major language like
Spanish, and installed the Spanish locale.
Then, I ran 'msgunfmt' on the .mo files at
/usr/share/locale-langpack/es/LC_MESSAGES/* and got a hit.
It has been translated in Spanish, therefore it was found. It is a
string that comes from 'app-install-data'.

I looked into 'app-install-data' for Greek, and I found the string
translated, and has been for quite some time,
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/+source/app-install-data-ubuntu/+pots/app-install-data/el/+translate?batch=10&show=all&search=New+Private

I then checked the firefox.desktop file, at
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
There are strings in there for Open Window, and also (fewer) to Open a
New Private Window.
It has 15 languages (ar, ca, de, es, fi, fr, he, hu, it, nb, ru, sl,
tr, uk, zh_TW).

I verified that in Polish, the string is translated but does not
appear either in firefox.desktop.

Anyone has an idea as to what needs to be done to get our translation
in firefox.desktop?

Simos

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 11:50 PM, balthazar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 28/03/2018 à 22:37, Simos Xenitellis a écrit :
>
> Hi All,
>
> When you right-click on the Firefox icon on the launcher (in 18.04),
> you can the option to open a new private window.
> In my case it is untranslated. Where can we translate this message from?
>
> Simos
>
> Hello Simos,
>
> Firefox is not translated by Ubuntu translators.
> For Mozilla, see here : https://l10n.mozilla.org/
>
> Jean-Marc

Re: How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2018-03-28 23:30, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> Anyone has an idea as to what needs to be done to get our
> translation in firefox.desktop?

Please see <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1748761>. The reporter of that
bug filed a merge proposal (my idea), but nobody has responded to it
yet, so I can't tell if that's the best way to add translations to the
file. You may want to file a merge proposal for Greek, which at least
might help to call the developers' attention to this issue. :)

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

On 2018-03-29 01:56, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Please see <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1748761>. The reporter of that
> bug filed a merge proposal (my idea), but nobody has responded to it
> yet, ...

Correction: One of the ~mozillateam LP team members has approved the
merge proposal, which is a good sign.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

Sebastien Bacher
Hey,

Le 29/03/2018 à 01:56, Gunnar Hjalmarsson a écrit :
Please see <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1748761>. The reporter of that bug filed a merge proposal (my idea), but nobody has responded to it yet, so I can't tell if that's the best way to add translations to the file. You may want to file a merge proposal for Greek, which at least might help to call the developers' attention to this issue. :)

Right, that's the correct way so other should send a patch or a similar merge request. I pinged our firefox maintainer to ask if you could get those reviewed/merged

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher

Re: How to translate for Firefox "Open a New Private Window"?

Simos Xenitellis-4
Thanks Gunnar and Sebastien for the replies.

I think that, ideally, all "app-install-data-ubuntu" translations
should be exported from launchpad,
and then the related fierfox.desktop translations should be merged
into this firefox.desktop.
That would make the task easier for the maintainer of the firefox
package on Launchpad.

I took into account this report,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1668664
and filed the following bug report for Greek:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1759833

Cheers,
Simos

On 2018-03-29 13:56, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
> ... and filed the following bug report for Greek:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1759833

Ok, that's good. But please consider that there are 2500+ open firefox
(Ubuntu) bugs.. My belief is that you'll more likely get the Mozilla
team's attention if you also submit a merge proposal similarly to what
the reporter of <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1748761> did.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-03-29 13:56, Simos Xenitellis wrote:
>>
>> ... and filed the following bug report for Greek:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1759833
>

> Ok, that's good. But please consider that there are 2500+ open firefox
> (Ubuntu) bugs.. My belief is that you'll more likely get the Mozilla team's
> attention if you also submit a merge proposal similarly to what the reporter
> of <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1748761> did.

Thanks, I submitted a merge proposal,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1759833

I hope the issue gets resolved. There are only two patches in review,
both on l10n,
https://code.launchpad.net/~mozillateam/firefox/firefox-trunk.head/+activereviews
I hope I get the approval soon or I'll nudge like ~AsciiWolf did.

There are indeed about 2500 bug reports for
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox
The vast majority of them are "undecided", and most refer to old
versions of Firefox.
Firefox has changed engine recently, therefore most reports may not apply.

Simos