How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Teresa e Junior
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes mentions that when the
upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04.1 is available, I should run `sudo
do-release-upgrade` to upgrade my server. But how will I know when the
upgrade is available? Is there a tool or mailing-list for that? Because
it makes it seem that I should run the command by hand until the update
appears.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Matthew Crews
On 7/30/18 5:07 PM, Teresa e Junior wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes mentions that when the
> upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04.1 is available, I should run `sudo
> do-release-upgrade` to upgrade my server. But how will I know when the
> upgrade is available? Is there a tool or mailing-list for that? Because
> it makes it seem that I should run the command by hand until the update
> appears.
>


Ubuntu 18.04.1 is available now, so running `sudo do-release-upgrade`
should work now.

Usually you want to check the Ubuntu blog, or you can subscribe to the
Ubuntu Announce mailing list
(http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-announce).

The actual 18.04.1 announcement is available here:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2018-July/000234.html

You should only see a notification if you are running a DE. I believe
you will not see it on a terminal.

Cheers.

-Matt



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Teresa e Junior
Em 30/07/2018 23:09, Matthew Crews escreveu:
> Ubuntu 18.04.1 is available now, so running `sudo do-release-upgrade`
> should work now.

It doesn't yet. The Release Notes says "few days after 18.04.1's release"

> Usually you want to check the Ubuntu blog, or you can subscribe to the
> Ubuntu Announce mailing list
> (http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-announce).

I had a look at the archives for ubuntu-announce, and they don't
announce the upgrades, only again that users "will soon be offered an
automatic upgrade".

I guess I'll have to keep trying for the next few days until it becomes
available.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 23:23:27 -0300, Teresa e Junior wrote:
>I guess I'll have to keep trying for the next few days until it
>becomes available.

Or else you could do the release upgrade right now, by running

  sudo do-release-upgrade -d


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Chris Green
In reply to this post by Teresa e Junior
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 09:07:33PM -0300, Teresa e Junior wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes mentions that when the
> upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04.1 is available, I should run `sudo
> do-release-upgrade` to upgrade my server. But how will I know when the
> upgrade is available? Is there a tool or mailing-list for that? Because it
> makes it seem that I should run the command by hand until the update
> appears.
>
It's hardly onerous is it?  Just do `sudo do-release-upgrade` every so
often during the last week or so of July.

... or alternatively wait until it's definitely available (e.g. mid
August) before doing it.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Teresa e Junior
Em 31/07/2018 05:38, Chris Green escreveu:
> It's hardly onerous is it?  Just do `sudo do-release-upgrade` every so
> often during the last week or so of July.

It's not like I'm complaining, but since there are so many companies who
upgrade Ubuntu LTS on their servers, I guessed there could be a tool or
way to be notified of when it is available.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:02:34 -0300, Teresa e Junior wrote:
>Em 31/07/2018 05:38, Chris Green escreveu:
>> It's hardly onerous is it?  Just do `sudo do-release-upgrade` every
>> so often during the last week or so of July.  
>
>It's not like I'm complaining, but since there are so many companies
>who upgrade Ubuntu LTS on their servers, I guessed there could be a
>tool or way to be notified of when it is available.

Hi,

we had this already.

1. It is announced, see
   https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2018-July/000234.html .
   It also would be possible to monitor
   https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server
   using something like
   https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/urlwatch .

2. If it's a problem to wait a few days, it's always possible to run
     sudo do-release-upgrade -d
   immediately.

However, there might be a tool that does it already, if not consider to
request a tool. I doubt that there are really many companies
interested in upgrading from one to another LTS as early as possible. I
suspect way more companies tend to stand with a LTS until it's closer
to it's EOL, which for 16.04 is April 2021, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases . More likely a company will upgrade
2019, 2020 or 2021, so if it still should take a few days after it was
announced, it doesn't matter at all.

Regards,
Ralf


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Teresa e Junior
Em 31/07/2018 14:28, Ralf Mardorf escreveu:
> However, there might be a tool that does it already, if not consider to
> request a tool. I doubt that there are really many companies
> interested in upgrading from one to another LTS as early as possible. I
> suspect way more companies tend to stand with a LTS until it's closer
> to it's EOL, which for 16.04 is April 2021, see
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases . More likely a company will upgrade
> 2019, 2020 or 2021, so if it still should take a few days after it was
> announced, it doesn't matter at all.

That explains it! Thanks!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How will I know I can upgrade my server?

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Ralf Mardorf-2
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:28:37 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>I doubt that there are really many companies interested in upgrading
>from one to another LTS as early as possible. I suspect way more
>companies tend to stand with a LTS until it's closer to it's EOL,
>which for 16.04 is April 2021, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases .
>More likely a company will upgrade 2019, 2020 or 2021, so if it still
>should take a few days after it was announced, it doesn't matter at
>all.

Companies are not interested to get the latest and greatest LTS
earliest possible, they will upgrade at a point in time, when an
short outage and even a computer system failure is less risky. If it
should be this time of the year, then they simply wait another year,
before they upgrade.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users